2001 Mondeo Zetec 1.8 - Number plates - Boggy

What's the law regarding what has to be on a legal licence plate? I need new ones and don't want one of those poncey italic fonts, just plain old legal lettering - I'm sure I've heard that to pass the MOT, the postcode of the car's original dealer must be in smaller lettering underneath. Is this right or can I just have my reg number and nothing else?

2001 Mondeo Zetec 1.8 - Number plates - Paul G1pdc

I've just got a set of private plates for my car,

halfords made them, they have the number plate makers post code lower right hand edge, its a requirement so the police can see the location of the plate maker....

and they are all legally spaced letters......cost approx £13 each plate. of course you can add a black boarder or EU flag but i didn't bother...you have to take your car documents/ proof of ownership with you, job takes about 10mins.

for plate with iffy lettering and eg "ford" written at the side with no postcode the chaps at halfords said Finmere market is the place to go.....(local market trader)

paul....

2001 Mondeo Zetec 1.8 - Number plates - ex-Triumph man

It is not the post code of the original vendor of the vehicle that must be included but the manufacturer/supplier of the current number plate. There must also be included the British Standards code of BS AU 145A.

The use of number plate screw caps to make an O in to an 8 for example, is also forbidden as is incorrect spacing.