1.1 Saxo W Plate - Adding Wife as Named Driver to Learn to Drive - fredthefifth

Hi All,

This is with Direct Line.

Got a 1.1 LX W Plate Saxo as a 2nd car for the wife to learn to drive in. I will be the main driver for short runs to work etc. Other car is a SAAB. I am paying an additional £17 pcm for fully comp on the Saxo. 3rd party was only a few quid cheaper!

Adding the wife as a named driver on the Saxo is increasing the premium from £17 to £50 pcm. Not bothered about getting the absolute cheapest, but would apprecaite any views on whether this is a rip off or not?

Regards.
FTF

1.1 Saxo W Plate - Adding Wife as Named Driver to Learn to Drive - Falkirk Bairn

What are your ages / occupations?

Do you live in a country /built-up area?

If you have NCB on car 1 many companies will give you a free NCB on a 2nd car, other ins cos make you earn a 2nd NCB.

Forties.

Country. (Post Code BA21)

I have been given full NCB on car 2 (the Saxo) for which the premium for me only was £17.

Adding the wife as a named driver so she can learn to drive (so obviously a new driver) has increased the Saxo premium to just over £50. Not sure whether this is in the right area or not.

Cheers.

FTF

1.1 Saxo W Plate - Adding Wife as Named Driver to Learn to Drive - Tim Allcott

I had a very good price from Tesco for adding junior (18) to my policy. can't remember the exact price (can check). What was particularly interesting is that they DIDN'T want to charge me any more when he passed his test. Most companies seem to want to sting you then as the new driver will be out on their own: Worth asking. You might have a problem, though, as I guess they will automatically assume that, having passed her test, your wife will become the main driver on the Saxo.

1.1 Saxo W Plate - Adding Wife as Named Driver to Learn to Drive - madf

When our oldest son was a learner we added him to our 1.4 Diesel Peugeot 106 policy. 10 years ago the extra cost was £400 so your quote sounds not out of line..

Ok, and thanks for the responses. I think I will just go with it for a few months and see how the driving goes. It'll probably end in divorce anyway!!
FTF