BMW diesel starting - can this be true! - Sideways
I recently bought a 94 BMW 325 TDS SE. Quite happy so far but starting the thing from cold takes about 25 secs of churning. Even the handbook says this is right. Can this really be true?
I thought the Germans had technical things like this sussed.
I reckon my Dad was right all those years ago...
There must be a way round this - with some of the cars I've owned I have an enviable reputation down my road - now the neighbours are going to be folded up laughing behind their net curtains.
I'm a motoring expert - get me out of here!

Regards

Sideways
BMW diesel starting - can this be true! - Baskerville
No that can't be right, and you'll do it lasting harm if you continue. It could be that the preheater plugs are shot and need replacing. Just as an example, my Citroen diesel (1990H) starts as soon as the key is turned after the preheat light goes out.

Chris
BMW diesel starting - can this be true! - Dave N
So BMW's don't break or wear out eh? mmmmmmm.

Take a look at www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html Go back a couple of pages on their board and you'll see someone with the same problem, along with a bunch of other info on cold starting probs with the 2.5tdi.
BMW diesel starting - can this be true! - CMark {P}
Hi Sideways,
can you post exactly what the handbook says about the 25 secs?

CMark
BMW diesel starting - can this be true! - Sideways
Thanks for all the advice - so far...
The handbook says - Hold the ignition key in position 2 until the orange 'preheating' light goes out.
Start the engine
At extremely low teperatures it may be necessary to operate the starter motor for up to 40 seconds.!!! ...kin hell - what were they thinking when the designed this, or do BMW also sell batteries?

I also have a Citroen Volcane Turbo (goes like stink) and have no similar problems. So I've been a diesel driver for some time. I also ran quite a big garage business for 12 years - some time ago - I'm not a total newby to motoring. BUT I've never come acorss anything like this before.
I suppose I just have to live with it but I hope the battery and starter can survive. I live in Poole, Dorset so the weathers never THAT bad.
On another subject - fuel economy. I've discovered that using the 'winter' driving switch I can 'cruise' along and get much higher returns. Normal position gives around 37mpg. Winter setting around 42mpg. I did compete nationally some time back and came third in a competition to get the max mpg over a 20 mile course... so if you see a huge queue following a dark blue BMW it's me! If there are any other 325TDS SE drivers around what do you get?
BMW diesel starting - can this be true! - CMark {P}
Hi Sideways,
by "extremely low temperatures" they mean below -10 or -20 deg C. When I was in the south of Germany last January some areas around the Bodensee dropped to -35 deg C at night. I was south of Munich and the daytime maximum was sometimes -10 deg C. My 1994 turbo diesel G-Wagon started first time having been parked outside all night.

My Father-in-Law has had this engine in his BMWs for the past 8 years or so. Currently driving one of the half dozen 725's sold in Holland in 1999(?) He never has a problem starting in very cold weather (he has had some other annoying niggles like the windscreen washer pipe dropping off the nozzle which required about a day's work in the workshop stripping down the underside of the bonnet to refix it). I doubt he keeps any kind of fuel consumption record, though. Not that kind of guy.

I would also firstly suggest looking at the glow plug circuit.

Most "winter" positions on the gearbox eliminate the use of first gear and therefore reduce the possibility of wheel spin on snow and ice. It might also affect the revs at which the gearbox changes gear. There should be a little explanation in your owner's manual. Quite how this gives you better MPG I am not sure.

HTH,
CMark
BMW diesel starting - can this be true! - madman
Our 325 Tds SE 96 model (also dark blue) has no problems starting neither did my Range Rover with the same engine (fantastic engine, crap car).
I think that your first port of call would be the glow plugs - check their resistance. If they turn out to be OK then look for and air leak into the fuel system, this will sometimes show as a slight fuel stain after the engine has been standing for a while.
If non of this works then buy Diesel Car magazine and email them a letter.
By the way Citroen C3 HDI 16 valve now upto 9500 miles and still giving 68 ish MPG, top speed clocked on the M62 as 118 mph using GPS.
BMW diesel starting - can this be true! - Oz
I have a 320d (2001) and the handbook also states '40 seconds'. In practice it has never been greater than around 2 seconds in present UK winter conditions.
BMW diesel starting - can this be true! - Armitage Shanks{P}
SAAB 9-3 tdi, with the GM 2.2 litre engine, doesn't have a pre-heater light that comes on, ever, in normal UK temps and it starts very well too. Since it hasn't been really cold for a few winters I have no idea what happens at -10C but I guess the light would then come on for a few seconds. The implication would appear to be that the heater plugs are there but they don't come on at all in normal UK temperatures, even in the winter.
BMW diesel starting - can this be true! - CM
I had a 96P 325tds and never had any problems like that. It sometimes took a few seconds for the pre-heat to go off but never 25 seconds turning over. Always started at 1st turn of the key even when skiing in the Alps.

PS If anyone bought a dark blue P reg 2nd/3rd/4th... hand and is a bit worried about the mileage let me know as I know that my old one was clocked after I sold it. A long shot that anyone here bought it but stranger things have happened.