Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 auto - Bumpy rides - Yanto

3 months ago I exchanged my 11 year old high mileage Rover 75 for a 54 plate Ford Focus, which seems to be a good all-rounder with the exception of its very hard ride and the thought of a 300 mile trip down the motorway is very off-putting. Despite the loss I would be facing,, I am thinking of changing again for a comfier car. What 1.6 auto would readers recommend in,say, the £4/5000 range ?

Yanto (Wirral)

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 auto - Bumpy rides - shara

I think the Focus is ok on the motorway, the ride isn't to bad. I've done loads of motorway journeys in my Zetec and find it ok TBH. Around town though its a different story though, it doesn't seem to like bumps, potholes etc. at slow speeds. If you like the Focus why not stick with it and go for a different trim level such as LX or Ghia which I don't think have the Zetec's 'sport' suspension.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 auto - Bumpy rides - willow

I must agree. I have a 2002 1.6 Zetec hatchback, the ride is extremely hard. I am seriously considering changing the shocks for something that doesn't feel like I'm driving over lose boulders.

Edited by willow on 22/03/2015 at 17:15

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 auto - Bumpy rides - Coombs33

3 months ago I exchanged my 11 year old high mileage Rover 75 for a 54 plate Ford Focus, which seems to be a good all-rounder with the exception of its very hard ride and the thought of a 300 mile trip down the motorway is very off-putting. Despite the loss I would be facing,, I am thinking of changing again for a comfier car. What 1.6 auto would readers recommend in,say, the £4/5000 range ?

Yanto (Wirral)

Ford mondeo, i had an LX model and it beat all contenders hands down. Some of my friends had BMW 3 series lexus's and mercedes and they all mentioned how comfortable, practical spacious, reactive and cheap compared to their expensive cars. I wish i never sold mine.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 auto - Bumpy rides - skidpan

The Focus has a fine ride for its class with excellent body control, doubt you would better it unless you bought a new very expensive car. We had a 1.6 TDCi Zetec for 5 very happy years.

And contrary to popular opinion the Zetec does not have "sports suspension". That is the Zetec "S".

Problem is you have bought an 11 year old car and you have no idea what parts the previous owner has fitted./

Edited by skidpan on 28/04/2015 at 16:58

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 auto - Bumpy rides - Avant

We haven't heard from Yanto since his first and only post five years ago. So I doubt he'll get the benefit of this new wisdom.