BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - ckk73

Hi everyone,

Just found this forum and it looks like you lot know your stuff so perhaps you acn help me.

I've just bought a BMW and it came with a 3 month warranty, or 3000 miles which ever is first. (it also says £500 in brackets on the paper work so I assume that's the limit)

I noticed the rear window de-mister wasn't working within the first week (I've had the car just over 2 weeks now).
I sent it back to the dealer and they tried to fix it by putting some silver paint onto the strips on the rear window, but that didn't work.
I've sent the car back to the dealer today and they said they will have another look and also adjust the handbrake (As i start to roll backwards when picking the kids up from school)

He said the fault was a common one with these BMW's and the only other option is to replace the window with a new one, but that costs £480 for the window and that's not including the labour.
At this point he said this wasn't an option because it's too expensive. He also said the car is at MOT standards, he's a business not a charity etc.......(he was getting a little shirty at this point!)

Now when i bought the car i wasn't aware that the demister wasn't working, the light came on so we assumed it was, the dealer claimed that they didn't know either, but have I got a case if the dealer can't fix it for the second time can i say to him that I want the window replaced, under the warrany or I'll take it further. (don't know how yet)

Realistically i'll give them longer to try and fix it, but i'm worried that the warrany will run out and then they'll tell me to b***** off.

I know a demister is not an important thing but this is the most expensive car I've bought and it's soooooooooooo lush, better than the last tin can i had.

Any help would be so much appreciated as because I'm a girl I feel they giving me the brush off cos they think I is thick innit!!

xxx

BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - Falkirk Bairn
How much did you spend on the car?

£10K - he should fix the window under SoGoods legislation.

£1K- for £1000 the car is going to be near the end of life and therefore it should be roadworthy but everything is not going to be perfect!
BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - rtj70

And what year was the car made/registered?

BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - ckk73

Hi the car cost £4500 and it's a 51 plate.

My brother said he looked on the internet and he found somewhere that you have to take into consideration the age.

But then my mum says i should reel off some trading standards stuff to them.

Groan........I hate all this stress, I'll proberly just give up.

BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - b308

Its marginal at that age... I'd expect it to work, but I could live with one or two of the "strips" not working but the majority ok... If its not working at all then I think that you are justified in asking him to get it fixed.

BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - pd

Very marginal on a 9 year old car. Sale of Goods says it must be roughly fit for purpose - if it goes, stops and is roadworthy to MOT standards then for a 9 year old car it sounds like it is doing what it says on the tin.

On the other hand if you have a written warranty stating that it is covered then you have a right to get it done.

BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - barney100

You need a warranty on a car of this type from one of the warranty companies you find on line. I got one for a Volvo and it paid for itself within a month, check out it covers all the things you hold dear. You have to pay the bill after checking the company approves the repair and repairer then claim it back, mine has been very good. May even cover demisters!

Any sort of warranty on a 51-plate BMW will have a lot of exclusions so you'd need to check if buying one was worth the paper it was written on.

This may sound harsh, and it is not meant to be a dig at the OP, but the reality is that if you want trouble free motoring a 9 year old BMW is not exactly the most sensible starting point.

BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

My friends BMW ,of about this age, went for scrappage in their recent transaction.

Yes, don't expect perfection from a nine year old car. It's a banger.

BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - madf

For £4500 I would expect perfection for a 9 year old car...

BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - rtj70

£4500 is way too much to pay out for a nine year old car. But sometimes people are willing to do this to get the 'badge'. This sort of money would buy some cars still under warranty.

£4500 is a lot for a 9 year old car but with sensible mileage it is not extreme and probably £3500 in the trade. People will pay a fortune for a BMW or Audi badge because "they never go wrong and a 10 year old one will be much more reliable than a 5 year old Ford".

The reality is somewhat different.

BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - gordonbennet

The prejudices against BMW's are still there arn't they.

I don't own one yet though it's a possibility for the future, but i've watched the progress of a 320D compact in our family and recently replaced by a lower mileage newer coupe with the same engine.

Righto 2001 car bought at 45K miles 3 years old approved car from BMW dealer with full warranty, just as well as it turns out.

3 months later turbo goes the BMW Diesel achillees heel or one of them together with inlet manifold flaps, replaced under warranty by BMW.

Exchanged last month at 120K miles.. In the intervening years nothing has really failed of note, it's had discs and pads all round, it's had the front suspension bushes changed, and thats about it, original battery, no clutch wear depite spending a lot of time in traffic, gearchange still crisp as ever, no knocks or groans or squeaks.

That the handbrake requires regular adjustment to remain effective is a just criticism.

I've kept an eye on it and performed intermediate services on the car, there's not a spot of rust anywhere on it, it drives well, it goes like hell, it's economical very, and the interior is as solid and unworn as when the car was bought, it had the swirl flaps removed as a precautionary measure which many BMW Diesel owners do for peace of mind, failure of these destroys the engine immediately otherwise.

No reason why it shouldn't easily do another 120K without a problem

To be honest the compact wasn't my cup of tea at first, but the quality of the car and it's sturdy build has been a pleasure.

BMW 3 Series 318i SE Touring - Used car dealer refuses to fix fault on BMW - NARU

There are plenty of bad ones too! There was no way I was going to buy my 4 year old 330d when it got to the end of its lease. I got fed up with it going into the dealer every couple of months (and I wasn't paying the bills). It even failed its first MOT.

But when it was running right it was a fantastic drive.