Test driving a private car - just passed - Chris_
I have recently passed my driving test and am looking to buy a car and one of the avenues I am looking down is private sellers. I've read that to be able to test drive you need to be insured either on their insurance or have some of your own to be able to take a test drive.

I've looked into temporary insurance but it seems all the ones I've found don't seem to want to cover me, presumably because I've not held my licence for a year or satisfy their age criteria (I am 22).

Besides driving without the insurance on a crowded public road - the thought of getting done for it and having points etc, makes me run a mile from it, but how can you get a feel for driving the car if you can't drive it?

So, are there any ways around it or does anyone have any 'creative' solutions?

Cheers.
Test driving a private car - just passed - Rattle
I had the same problem and it is a bit of a nightmare. It will be very very difficult to get insurance for this purpose I found.
Test driving a private car - just passed - David Horn
Pretty sure Norwich Union temp cover good for any age. If not, can your dad or a friend to the test drive?
Test driving a private car - just passed - Hamsafar
The whole insurance industry is a sham, to say it is a legal requirement, there should in my opinion be far tighter regulation of the policies and T&C. Most people just risk it and stick to quiet roads at a quiet time and are extra careful, or ask the owner to take you somewhere private like a large empty car-park, even though you legally still need insurance it seems less risky.

Edited by rtj70 on 21/02/2010 at 10:50

Test driving a private car - just passed - Alby Back
Congratulations ! Welcome to the world of motoring.

When I passed my test back in the dark ages I bought some real dogs because I chose things for all the wrong reasons and frankly wasn't experienced enough to spot their shortfalls.

Look at this another way, enlist the help of an older, much more experienced driver. You of course do the groundwork in finding suitable cars but take your mentor with you. Let them do the test drive and ask them to be honest and constructively critical. They will be in a much better position to tell if a car is driving and running well. You won't have developed the "feel" for these things yet. Some never do of course but choose your helper carefully and you should end up with a better car.

Edited by rtj70 on 21/02/2010 at 10:51

Test driving a private car - just passed - loskie
Once you find a car you want pay a deposit dependant on satisfactory vehicle inspection. Then get one done by the AA or whoever(friendly local mechanic for beer money?) which will include a test drive and they will be more knowledeable on how a car should drive compared to a new driver. The cost of inspection may include HPI check and may well be similar to the cost of you taking out insurance.

Edited by rtj70 on 21/02/2010 at 10:51

Test driving a private car - just passed - rtj70
Do not risk driving one without insurance. If you were caught you'd get a minimum of 6 points plus a fine. Those six points for you would remove your licence and you'd be back to provisional status.
Test driving a private car - just passed - Chris M
Do you get that much more information doing the driving yourself?

Assuming you have done all the static checks - rust, oil leaks, funny noises from the engine, paint condition, tyres etc. etc., then your test drive should disclose whether there are noises from gearbox, wheel bearings etc. You don't need to be driving to hear these and, as an inexperienced driver, you can concentrate better on the listening rather than the driving.

Do the brakes pull up square? Does the car pull to one side? Ask the driver to find a clear level stretch of road and demonstrate by taking their hands off the wheel.

If you are test driving to see whether you just like driving a Fiesta, Corsa, Polo or whatever, find yourself a dealer who will have the necessary trade insurance.
I think test driving is a must because without driving it you cannot get a feel for the pedals

1) Is the biting point too high - a sign the clutch plate is worn.
2) Are the brakes spongy?
3) How easy is to change gear?
4) Is the steering ok?

etc

A way round is to get your parents or freind who has had a licence longer to do test drive it for you.

The OP will be able to get insurance but it could cost a lot of money money which may be better spent on an AA inspection.
Test driving a private car - just passed - jbif
The OP will be able to get insurance ... >>

Will ? Really ? Without a car to specify?

Please tell us who from.

Surely he could just add his name onto the sellers insurance policy for the day as a named driver? It will be expensive but it is a way round it.
Test driving a private car - just passed - jbif
It will be expensive but it is a way round it.

Another expensive way round it would be to deposit a bond at HM the Treasury in lieu of insurance.

Test driving a private car - just passed - ifithelps
Buy from a dealer and road test the car on their insurance.

Test driving a private car - just passed - Chris_

Thanks for all the messages and advice, I read the thread back in Feb but I couldn't remember which email I'd used to login so couldn't reply. Anyway, I finally bought my car just a few weeks later, and all seems to be well, so thanks for the tips. I think I ended up taking a small test drive around the block and then said for him to take me on a drive as a passenger for an hour or two, which he did - to pick up his child, go shopping, run errands etc.

Test driving a private car - just passed - essex619

Give the guy some sort of deposit of £250.00 to keep in his pocket!! one sunday evening go to a tescos car park etc. drive it around the car park test drive it when its empty and there you go.. problem solved.. ur happy hes happy...

BE GENIUNE about the purchase to the seller... dont force him.. to do this..

Test driving a private car - just passed - Falkirk Bairn

Give the guy some sort of deposit of £250.00 to keep in his pocket!! one sunday evening go to a tescos car park etc. drive it around the car park test drive it when its empty and there you go.. problem solved.. ur happy hes happy...

You need insurance to drive in a space(carpark!) that the public can enter.

The yard of a haulage company is private space for example.

Test driving a private car - just passed - LucyBC
We are looking to offer test drive insurance as a product for drivers over 21.

The excess is high (£1500) but the premiums are affordable (£35 for a 21 year old in a new Ka for example, dropping to £500 excess and £15 for someone who is 50).

The cover is comprehensive so it covers the car you are driving as well as any third party.
Test driving a private car - just passed - PatrickO

The first car I bought 20 odd years ago was a grand for a clapped out 318i BMW which had been crashed and stealthily repaired, it needed the all sorts doing to the suspension on a laser jig to get the chasis right after I bought without having it checked. The big ends went after a year and I bought it off a chap who half way through revelead he was a Heroin dealer, nice!

Youth with money can be a volatile mix.

Test driving a private car - just passed - hillman

I was once read that the best way to inspect / test a car is to ask the seller to present it for an MOT at a garage of your choice - you to pay of course - and it's doing the seller a favour. That is somewhat less expensive that employing the AA. A prior word with the mechanic would be in order, unless of course the mechanic is a covert mate of the seller.