Insurance for my 17 year old? - spidermonkey
Can anyone point in the right direction for the cheapest car insurance for my 17 year old boy.
Insurance for my 17 year old? - rtj70
moneysupermarket.com?

This will simply be very expensive for a 17 year old boy. The part of the UK you live in makes a difference. You are in the UK?

Don't think of insurance fronting when they pass their test.

Best bet is a search on these forums. This has been debated many times before.
Insurance for my 17 year old? - CraigP
Elephant have always been very good price wise for me and a lot of my friends. They always seem to come out on top for young male drivers in my experience.

Been with them since 18 years old (18 and one day... how crap can't drink on your 18th b/day because driving test next morning!).
The cheapest i've been quoted is £2,300 for 12 months, so far from esure, i do live in the UK, Hamshire to be more accurate, i might have to get 6 month insurance for him as i'm looking for a car for around £700 and my budget for the lot is 2k...they rip these kids off something cronic (or in this case me!)
Insurance for my 17 year old? - CraigP
To be fair to the insurance companies, they have a lot of (expensive) accidents :-(
Insurance for my 17 year old? - retgwte
make sure its a group 1 (or 2 at a push) car, fiat panda 1.1 or some such

Yes i'm looking to get him a 1.1 corsa.
Insurance for my 17 year old? - CGNorwich
Does he really need a car with all the responsibilities and costs that entails at the age of 17? Perhaps better for him to wait a few years?
Insurance for my 17 year old? - oldnotbold
I'd have a look at how much it will cost once he's passed his test too - run the numbers through a comparison site as if he's 18 and recently passed his test with/without a year NCB. You may get a nasty shock - it normally goes up once they are legal to drive solo, not down.
Insurance for my 17 year old? - WorkshopTech
Admiral good for youngsters.
Insurance for my 17 year old? - tiredeyes
Co-Op, lowest insurance for my lad, I researched them all, over 5 nights at 4 hours a time !
Insurance for my 17 year old? - Hamsafar
Try quotelinedirect too. The comparison sites are often not the cheapest and are owned by insurers or make money off a few insurers that pay them commission, and may insurers refuse to be used by them. The problem is what is cheap for one seems expensive for another. There seems to be no logic.
Insurance for my 17 year old? - Victorbox
We used Direct Line for my 18 year old daughter, mainly because she was building up a little "artificial" no claims bonus while she was a named driver on her mum's policy, until she bought her own car. Around here all the 17/18 year old males seem to be with Quinn at about £1,200 to £1,400 for the first year on a Corsa / Punto / Fiesta sized car, but I'm not making any recommendation about quality of service, just price. www.quinn-direct.com/uk/car/

Edited by Victorbox on 12/02/2010 at 19:30

Insurance for my 17 year old? - L'escargot
Nowadays every insurance company claims you can save money by insuring with them. I can only assume that the level of cover or the service some of them provide is rock bottom. Co-operative Insurance seems to give good cover at reasonable rates.

Edited by L'escargot on 13/02/2010 at 07:48

Thanks for all your replies, certainly have a few leads to follow there...again Thanks!
Insurance for my 17 year old? - hjd
We have just got insurance for my 17 year old son with Quinn Direct (we live in Surrey). On insurance comparison websites Quinn was shown as not quoting, but when we rang up they said there must be a glitch in the system and gave us this quote - just over £600. That is for him as main driver and both his parents as named drivers on an 02 Seat Ibiza 1.2 (he has a provisional licence). Next best quotes were all just under £2k for TPFT.
We re-input details as if he had a full licence and Quinn was about £1,800 with the rest starting at £3k.
His sister was insured with Quinn for the first two years. We never had to claim so can't say what that side of it is like (apart from the veiled hints issued by some people on this board).
Insurance for my 17 year old? - jacks
We re-input details as if he had a full licence and Quinn was about £1
800 with the rest starting at £3k.

I've been through this with my son.

To insure in my area Gloucestershire the cheapest were via brokers Adrian Flux (Insurer Norwich Union) which came in at around £1220 on a Ford Ka.
I tried Norwich Union Direct but they quoted nearly double that amount !!!

The problem with some insurers is that they quote relatively low whilst the youngster has a provisional licence (Admiral quoted £800 approx) BUT as soon as your son passes the test they increase to nearer £2000 as the risk is massively increased when they start driving unaccompanied etc.
Adrian Flux's price was consistent and they didn't increase premium when he passed - it's worth checking this point.

When the time came for renewal (by which time he had passed) Quinn Direct were cheapest via the comparison sites and I duly signed up paying a deposit by my C/Card with the remainder to be direct debited monthly from my son's bank. However when the policy came through the premium was considerably higher that that quoted and they had taken a larger deposit. than agreed,I was able to cancel and get a refund easily though (they denied quoting the lower figure even though I did it by phone and had a ref no) but wouldn't use them again.

I then managed to get cover for about £700 with 1 yr NCD with 1st Century Direct who seem ok so far. 4 months into the policy he bought a T reg Astra G 1.6 16v (group 6 car) and the increase premium was around £200 which seemed reasonable.

You can insure girls for about 50-60% of the"boys" premium.

Jacks
Insurance for my 17 year old? - Roly93
A sex change might be a good idea !
Insurance for young females is significantly cheaper, as I recently looked around for my daughter, and as an experiment changed the gender to male for the quotes...
Insurance for my 17 year old? - Bromptonaut
Similar issues getting cover for my daughter.

No chance of a car of her own as we've really not got space for a third car and anyway she couldn't afford it once she goes to Uni. Instead we tried to get cover on one of our cars.

Wife's insurers wouldn't quote and broker's (Swinton) best alternative was £2500 ish rising again after her test. Car is a 1.9D (69PS) Berlingo on an 05 plate.

Expected a similar brush off from Elephant on my insurance. In fact they took it in their stride. Premium is up from £200 to £850 but no further change post test. Car is a 2.0 (110PS) Xantia on an X. Thought it might be cheaper if I adopted the lower powered Berlingo but in fact that came in slightly higher.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/02/2010 at 13:52

Insurance for my 17 year old? - jellybeans
Put him through his pass plus advanced driving, where I stay the local council pay half of it for you. Ask his driving instructor about it and he will advise you. This will take alot of money of possible quotes. Also when he passes this and gets a car, make sure it is his policy to allow him to build his no claims and keep everything legal, but try putting named drivers such as his parents, this typically takes off a few hundred also.
Insurance for my 17 year old? - dieseldogg
With an 18 year old son & a 17 year old daughter, I have asked the UFU to look at their quote again, it was pretty high though they DO give an absolutly excellent service,( which we fortunately have not had occasion to use) plus a local office within walking distance staffed by real people, who forby are friendly & helpful.
However a mate has got his 17 year old daughter insured for a car of her own for £800.00 with Admiral. Another acquaintenance says try the Post Office.
The only negetive I have experience of with Quinn Direct is that they are VERY pushy about getting a claim settled, as one of our drivers was struck by a vehicle insured with Quinn.
Unfortunately Northern Ireland is ignored by many of the UK insurance providers.
Insurance for my 17 year old? - dieseldogg
So Post office= >£2000.00
UFU=£1385.00
Admiral=£1035.00 , which for a N I premium including for two adolesents I think is pretty exceptional?
All for, as best I can establish, the same level of cover.
So is a local office worth £350.00 Hmmm

Edited by dieseldogg on 16/02/2010 at 17:02

Insurance for my 17 year old? - AlanGowdy
Jellybeans is right. I strongly recommend Pass Plus as a means of obtaining very substantial reductions in premiums. My younger son had his quote slashed from £1400 to just over £700. Makes the cost of doing the course a bargain.
Insurance for my 17 year old? - ijws15
Take a step back and think carefully about the car he will be driving.

We moved when my son was at sixth form and bought a car to get him to school. It was cheaper to invest a little more in a newer car which took a couple of hundred off the insurance quote (£1700 six years ago). Same model, same size engine!

Oddly enough the cheap small engined cars are not the cheapest to insure when you are 17!
Insurance for my 17 year old? - 1litregolfeater

www.cycleguard.co.uk/