Cancelling Breakdown cover after write off ? - TriciaA
I have been with particular breakdown provider for a few years now. My car was recently written off :(. Despite being without a car now, they told me this morning that I still have to continue paying my monthly direct debits to them ( my policy ends in October 2010)

I can understand them wanting to continue receiving payments from me if it was the case of switching breakdown providers but surely if a car is written off, how on earth can they think this is correct?

Any advise welcome.
Many thanks - Tricia

Edited by Pugugly on 30/01/2010 at 10:23

Cancelling Breakdown cover after write off ? - Old Navy
These days breakdown cover is just that, forget waffle about membership, it's an insurance policy. As the policy was for a year they will want their money, I bet its in the policy details. I recently acquired very low cost cover with a competitor of my current provider as a perk with another product. I pay up front and am not entitled to a refund so I will let my old cover run and not renew.

Edited by Old Navy on 30/01/2010 at 10:41

Cancelling Breakdown cover after write off ? - martint123
They are an annual policy that they let you pay in instalments, should you wish.

After the 14 day cooling off period they all say

1. You are entitled to cancel your membership up to 14 working days following the date of, your membership commencement (or renewal) date, or the date you receive your Terms of Membership booklet, whichever happens later.
2. If you have not made a claim within the first 14 days we will refund the cost of your membership.
3. If you use the service within the first 14 days and decide to cancel, you will not be eligible for any refund.
4. If you cancel the membership after 14 days, no refund or credit will be applied.

In the case of normal car insurance it can get even worse and they want you to pay off the rest of the policy in one go.
Cancelling Breakdown cover after write off ? - Falkirk Bairn
>>My car was recently written off. Despite being without a car now they told me this >>morning that I still have to continue paying my monthly direct debits to them ( my
policy ends in October 2010)

Did a 3rd party write -off the car? or did you?

If 3rd party you could try claiming as part of your loss.
Cancelling Breakdown cover after write off ? - TriciaA
Thank you for the replies. I have now decided to transfer my breakdown coverage to my mother's car and saved myself £5 per month :) As they say 'Where there's a will there's a way'.
Tricia
Cancelling Breakdown cover after write off ? - ifithelps
I've been in a similar situation twice when I bought a new car with its own cover.

On each occasion the breakdown service provider offered to suspend the policy for a year.

I'd paid in full and was offered the choice of a refund, but there was only a few months left, and by the time they'd deducted the admin fee I would have got about a tenner back.