99 1.2 broken cambelt means engine change - mijyerpso
My daughter's clio has knackered engine due to cambelt failure.
Since new valves are £25 each, and I've no idea how to check if the old ones are bent I have decided it's probably cheaper and easier to replace the engine with a used one.
Can anybody tell me if any engine code beginning D7F will do or does it have to be from a MK2?

For example I've seen an ad for a 1.2 8valve '95 but with unknown engine code
99 1.2 broken cambelt means engine change - bell boy
why not just fit a scrapyard head off a car there due to mot failure
dont do the valves in the head as the valve inserts will be damaged too on your broken head
99 1.2 broken cambelt means engine change - mickeybo
Before you go down any road remove camshaft front pulley check keyway on this pulley
these keyways are designed to shear before bending any valves. Try new timing belt
before jumping to any conclusions. If not sucessful remove cylinder head and check
for bent valves you will most likely will require approx3/4 valves at most. These valves
normally cost from engine engineering work shops Inlet valves approx £12 exhaust
valves£10. It certainly would be much cheaper and a lot less work to replace a few valves than to replace engine or take BellBoy's good tip just replace cylinder head
Hope this helps Best Reguards
Mickeybo location Derry N/Ireland
99 1.2 broken cambelt means engine change - TurboD
That sort of advice is really valuable, and makes reading these posts worth the effort. You would not get that advice from a dealer.
Excellent.
Thanks for your responses . I shall certainly check out the key way this weekend - if that's sheared I'll try a new cambelt. Does anyone know if It's necessary to replace water pump? - it's driven off the back of the timing belt.

I don't know about buying a replacement head -- how do I know it didn't come off another engine with knackered cambelt?
again many thanks for your responses
99 1.2 broken cambelt means engine change - Altea Ego
>I don't know about buying a replacement head -- how do I know it didn't come off another engine with knackered cambelt?

The bent valves are easy to see, they wont return and sit back in the ports.
Thanks everyone i'm no further forward. On inspection there's at least 4 bent valves judging by the massive rocker clearances -about 10mm-. I can't find a scrappy willing to split a working cylinder head and the cost of a cylinder head refurb is not much different to a working 2nd hand engine. So does anyone know which engine codes (if any) are interchangeable?
99 1.2 broken cambelt means engine change - Robin the Technician
There are a number of cylinder head refurishers on the web:
www.cylinderhead.co.uk/

www.ivorsearle.co.uk/

And these who I gather do a really good job at rock bottom prices: lockstitchuk.co.uk/

or.... just type 'exchange cylinder heads' into Google.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician