04 2.0 Odometer miscounting miles ? - nikkikitch
Hi

I bought a Mazda 3 recently and have only had it for one month.

Its a 2 litre Sport and so does go thruugh a lot of fuel, but i noticed that the petrol gage wasnt going up when i put petrol in and it was using it far more quickly that it usually would.

So on a journey home, i was keeping an eye on the petrol when i noticed that the mileage gage seemed to be creeping up too quickly. I timed and measure the distance and its showing 1 mile for every half mile!

I continued to measure this when i reached the A road near my house and it continued increasing at the same speed!

Are the two issues linked ? should i take it back to the dealer?

Thanks

Nikki

Edited by Pugugly on 28/01/2010 at 15:05

Mileage gage is increasing too quickly! - Armstrong Sid
So on a journey home i was keeping an eye on the petrol when i
noticed that the mileage gage seemed to be creeping up too quickly. I timed and
measure the distance and its showing 1 mile for every half mile!

Are you sure the mileage gauge is showing miles and not a metric figure?
Mileage gage is increasing too quickly! - Pugugly
My guess would be that you've accidentally tripped a switch converting from Miles to KMs as well.
04 2.0 Odometer miscounting miles ? - Altea Ego
I timed and
measure the distance and its showing 1 mile for every half mile!
I continued to measure this when i reached the A road near my house and
it continued increasing at the same speed!

How did you measure it?
04 2.0 Odometer miscounting miles ? - Pugugly
Probably because she knew how far it is - classic benchmarking exercise !

Edited by Pugugly on 28/01/2010 at 16:27

04 2.0 Odometer miscounting miles ? - nikkikitch
Hi

On the motorway i drove at 60 miles an hour for one minute and the gage went up by two miles!

Then on the A roads near my house, as per Pugugly, i know the distance and again it double up on the meter!

Thanks
04 2.0 Odometer miscounting miles ? - Peter D
Strange. The speed and odometer is taken from the same signal source. Something is wrong, take it back. Regards Peter
04 2.0 Odometor counting Kilometres not miles. - nikkikitch
Hi

My Odometer is counting KM not miles! It was sold to me a month ago as having done 50,000 miles and it now reads around 60,000. (this isnt exact).
I posted previously as i was worried that the odometor was miscounting miles, but i do think its counting kilometres which means its only done about 38,000 miles! Great news. BUT at the minute its showing 60,000 which is not great if i need to sell on or service.

Is there a switch somewhere to switch back or is it a fault?

Thanks
04 2.0 Odemoter! Totally lost! Parameters reset... - nikkikitch
Hi

I have posted about this before but have since had some developments which have left me no wiser!

I noticed my odemoter seemed to be increasing too quickly and so measured the distance from my house to point b and it showed as nearly double the mileage! I also did 60 miles per hour on the motorway for one minute and again, the odometer showed nearly two miles in a minute! From this, i presumed it was set to KM instead of miles.
I was advised to take it into Mazda who have reset the parameters, im yet to measure if it is now correct.

Mazda advised me there is no way of resetting the odometer to show the correct miles, so its now showing as 61,000 of what i believe to be KM. If thats the case, it means when i come to sell or service , the car is showing as doing 24,000 miles more than it has!

I bought it just before Christmas from ACF car finance and they cant help as they state when you buy the car that the mileage is not guaranteed. If theres nothing i can do, i want to take it back and get something else as i dont want such a huge fault hanging over such a big purchase and one which affects the value of the car!

Thanks
04 2.0 Odemoter! Totally lost! Parameters reset... - Robin the Technician
ACF are giving you the fob off - as per the sale of goods act the vehicle must be fit for purpose and if the odometer is not working correctly they have a legal obligation to correct it. They are trying to say its 'sold as seen' which they cannot legally do. You are not questioning the mileage, you are questioning the operation of the odometer - not its reading. Take it back to them and insist they sort it.

Hope this helps.

Robin the Technician
04 2.0 Odemoter! Totally lost! Parameters reset... - bathtub tom
So you happily bought a car that was showing 50K miles, but now you realise it's actually kilometres you want it to show the reduced figure so it'll be worth more.

Will you pay whoever sold it to you the difference in value it was worth at the time you bought it?
04 2.0 Odometer miscounting miles ? - Robin the Technician
Nikki,
One thing has come to mind. The vehicle may well be an import - so check the handbook for the selling dealer. If its continental you may well have the correct odomenter fited running in Km's. Failing that you could try your local Mazda dealer - they should be able to establish if its an import. I do find it hard to unerstand that (assuming its digital) that it can't simply be switched. It may even be in the handbook!!

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician