"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - bell boy
www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=35927

please read this and i would like opinions

heres my hat nailed on the hook............hj has now twice said once in yesterdays DT and in the link that 30% of drivers cant afford insurance,i totally disagree i think you will find they dont want to pay ,it might be expensive it might be something you never need but its the law of the land that at least third party insurance has to be in place in this country unless you can afford to self insure.
Why should insurers lower their ratings for young male drivers when its their own driving skills or lack of them that we see daily on our congested roads and up lamposts,its a govt issue that needs remedying not an insurance lowering that we need
i well remember my insurance was far more than i could afford when i started on the road but i insured and managed to keep my licence clean

Edited by Pugugly on 25/01/2010 at 08:41

honest john link - Old Navy
Third party insurance should be provided with a tax disc, (at a cost), if you want to top up to comp, feel free to buy it. This system works elswhere.

Edited by Old Navy on 24/01/2010 at 21:17

honest john link - gordonbennet
Yes insurance has always been expensive for youngsters and rightly so, we bought cars that were insurable and learned to drive them without crashing them..if we did bend them we tried our best not to involve insurance so learned to fix 'em too.

For many spoiled youngsters (who don't believe in getting dirty either) the 15 year old banger won't do it has to be something sporty that goes like stink...thats fine pay for it and the insurance premiums too.

Being caught without insurance should mean instant banning for 12 months minimum, followed by retest before reinstatement for all ages, as far as i'm concerned it's one the most serious motoring crimes there is.

I seem to recall no insurance being automatic ban when i was a youngster.
honest john link - CGNorwich
Third party insurance should be provided with a tax disc, (at a cost), if you want to top up to comp, feel free to buy it. This system works elswhere.

It could be done of course, effectively we would all be paying a flat premium for TP Insurance. What that would mean is those paying say £200 pa at the moment would see their premiums double at least. Not likely to be a popular move on this forum I would suggest.
honest john link - martint123
Agreed.
Speed limiters and no passenger seats for the first 5 years of driving and then I'd listen to capping insurance rates, not before.
honest john link - gmac
I read the link and just saw it as another IAM advert. New Year, people make all sorts of resolutions so lets remind them who we are and what we do.

Not so long ago you could pick up a couple of SP30's and it made no or very little difference to your premium.
Now, it can almost double your premium. If you have 9 points on your licence it can treble the premium if you are with the wrong company.
www.whatcar.com/car-news/speeding-doubles-insuranc...4

Edited by gmac on 24/01/2010 at 21:21

honest john link - Nsar
The numbers don't add up. If 9% of drivers are causing 25% of accidents then even if they all paid a premium the difference will be a pinprick.

Offering a young driver a discount for AIM training shows a faulure to understand the problem. Young drivers cause a disproportionate number of crashes precisely because they think they are God's gift to motoring. You might as well offer them a discount if they choose to have an inch lopped off their manhood.
honest john link - Leif
Young drivers cause a disproportionate number of crashes precisely because they think they are God's gift to motoring.

Or the world ...

honest john link - JH
Yes, I read that and thought that he was being generous. The fact is that they have no insurance, "can't afford it" is an assumption. I think that most "won't" rather than "can't".

JH
honest john link - Bill Payer
One thing that strikes me as odd is that, as best I can gather, insurance for young lads isn't way more expensive than for other drivers in other countries. Surely UK kids can't uniquely be bad drivers?
honest john link - Formby

Can I just say that I've just read this forum and I am amazed at how much some old men who have nothing better to do other than moan about young drivers sound like loose women. It's incredible, I thought it was a single-sex thing but obviously not.

Yes, I am 17, and I passed my test 5 months ago, first time. I got 4 minor faults, and 98% of my theory questions correct. I forked out hundreds of pounds to learn properly, and another few hundred to ensure I could drive properly on motorways and at night. Yet my cheapest insurance quote was [heck, I'll just copy and paste] "Hi Nick, your cheapest insurance quote is £4,709.98".

I would have to go to work every weekend for 2 years working about 10 hours a day, to pay for one years insurance. (And no, I can't go in the week as I have work to do [in college] obviously unlike you guys.)

How would you have felt if you had to wait 5 or 6 years after passing your test, just to pay for cover on your car? And how many of you passed first time? Hell, how many of you could even pass your test again!?

b****ing... now available for men.

honest john link - L'escargot
The reason that young drivers are involved in so many accidents is not down to their levels of driving skill, but their lack of experience. They fail to spot hazardous situations developing early enough.
honest john link - grumpyscot
Must admit I like the New Zealand system - new drivers are limited in speed, can't go out in darkness or carry passengers until they've driven for 6 months. After that, they still carry R plates and have restrictions.

And the best bit - the police actually patrol the roads and come down hard on any transgressors.

Personally, I think all drivers under the age of 25 should be made to attend the autopsy of a road crash victim as part of their proficiency test.
honest john link - Martin Devon
>>Personally, I think all drivers under the age of 25 should be made to attend the autopsy of a road crash victim as part of their proficiency test.

Yes to Grumpscot and yes to the poster that spoke of banning.

Make it hurt in the wallet. And don't return the licence until it is paid, but still with a minimum 1 year ban so those that get bailed out by Daddy still feel the effect of their ways. If caught driving while disqualified lifetime ban and further huge fine. Eventually it WILL get across. Remove all dilly dallying and liberals. If the dog bites you, you whack it don't you?

Morning all.................MD
honest john link - Leif
The reason that young drivers are involved in so many accidents is not down to their levels of driving skill, but their lack of experience.

Yes and no. When I learnt at the age of 35, my premiums were not high. Insurers realise that the young are often impetuous and over confident, often with a love of speed, and showing off. When you get older you calm down a bit, rush around less, no longer show off so much, and generally act more docile. Obviously these are generalisations, and you cannot tar everyone with the same brush, but actuaries work on the basis of generalisations.

I was brought up to believe that if you couldn't afford something you didn't buy it. You cut your coat according to your cloth. That way you always remained solvent. As soon as I've bought one car I start saving up for the next.

It's silly buying a car if you can't afford the running costs.
I certainly don't agree with insurance premiums being capped for young drivers. They have to learn the hard way just like the rest of us. Anyway, someone who drives without insurance will do so whatever the premium. It's a measure of their level of morality, not their level of affluence.
honest john link - b308
Blimey, L'escargot, you are showing your age there, though I was brought up the same way... these days its all about buying now and then going bankrupt for a few years and then repeating the process...

I agree that the NZ limitations on new drivers would be a good thing, but I suspect policing it would be virtually impossible, after all they can't even keep uninsured or banned drivers off the road now, what hope for them if you add a few million more they need to keep an eye on?!
Blimey L'escargot you are showing your age there ............

Crikey, b308, you're showing your age by saying "blimey"! ...............
;-)
.............. and I freely admit to being a septuagenarian.
honest john link - b308
Much nicer than the more commonly used swear words, though, isn't it?! ;)
Blimey L'escargot you are showing your age there ......

And I've lived to this age partly by learning to look a good way ahead and by excercising a degree of caution when driving.
It's a measure of their level of morality
not their level of affluence.

>>
I agree, I wonder how many "status symbol" cars are uninsured?
honest john link - b308
I suspect that most "status" and "modified" cars are "insured", the question is whether they are "correctly" insured... declaring all mods, correct "main driver", etc.
honest john link - Martin Devon
I suspect that most "status" and "modified" cars are "insured" the question is whether they
are "correctly" insured... declaring all mods correct "main driver" etc.

Even if there cars are modded they are still in possession of RTA (Road Traffic Act) cover so a third party would still have redress.

MD
They have to learn the hard way just like the rest of us.

What does paying huge insurance premiums teach them?
honest john link - b308
To be more careful?!
Live witin your means, a lesson many will learn the hard way over the next few years of payback.
honest john link - dieseldogg
Would I not be correct in think as per a N Z article that these uninsured drivers, young or old are also more likely to drive under the influence of drink or drugs, ie they have no respect for any laws or anyone else for that matter. But hey if you have got nowt to lose?
I would crush the uninsured drivers, not their vehicles.
jat
M
honest john link - DP
If the penalties given on the likes of "Road Wars" are representative of what the courts dish out to people caught driving uninsured, it's no wonder so many people don't bother. The fine given to many of the examples on that programme amounts to probably no more than half a year's cover for that individual.

I'd like to see penalties applied much like those applied to companies found to be using unlicensed software. The fine consists of the full license fees of the software from the present date back to the last point the offender can prove they were legal, with a nice hefty multiplier thrown on the top.

The only reason people drive uninsured is the same one people break any other law - because it is worth the risk, and worth their while to do so.

Unlike many here, I have some sympathy with young drivers who aren't personally responsible for the misdeeds of their peers (my 17 y/o cousin forks out £1700 TPFT on a £500 Fiat Cinquenceto), but uninsured driving should not be tolerated, and should be punished much more harshly. My one and only RTA was aged 31 and non-fault. Never so much as scratched my first cars.
honest john link - Falkirk Bairn
I believe in NZ UNINSURED DRIVERS have to pay for damages out of wages or benefits even if it is $10 a week for the rest of their lives............

In the UK it might make some think 2 x if they have to pay for ever for their mis deeds @ !7 driving without a licence or insurance.
In the UK it might make some think 2 x

It might...but I doubt it. Kids think they're invincible.

There's often call for basic 3rd party insurance to be included in fuel etc, but I honestly think that would result in carnage with the Corsa/Saxo drivers suddenly all charging around in old BMW 740's etc. One of them hitting another vehicle at speed doesn't bear thinking about.

Edited by Bill Payer on 25/01/2010 at 09:48

honest john link - teabelly
I believe in NZ UNINSURED DRIVERS have to pay for damages out of wages or
benefits even if it is $10 a week for the rest of their lives............
In the UK it might make some think 2 x if they have to pay
for ever for their mis deeds @ !7 driving without a licence or insurance.

That system should be brought in here. The problem is there would be many more drive offs than there are now.

It's lack of actual consequences that seem to be the problem. I'm only 35 but I was taught if you can't afford *you can't have*. End of. Too many spoiled brats think they're entitled to everything.

P plates should also be compulsory. I also think learning to drive should be based around IAM and improving hazard perception.

Young men's brains are different so they don't have the fear of death or understanding of mortality until about 25. They need to understand it can happen to them and showing off is a sign of cowardice rather than bravery. You're onto a losing battle so perhaps we should all learn to cope better with stupid driving and be on the defensive more to offset the effects of their stupidity?
honest john link - Andrew-T
They have to learn the hard way just like the rest of us.

As another self-declared (recent) septuagenarian, I question this statement; part of the problem is that the offenders feel they DON'T have to learn the hard way. Some have little idea of what a 'hard way' is. Many have never had to 'save up' or wait very long to get things they want - especially with cars, of which there are plenty of decent easily affordable specimens available. Young men in city areas may be asked to pay the price of their vehicle in insurance premiums every 6 months or so - hardly surprising they try to avoid that.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - FotheringtonThomas
If a driver cannot afford insurance, he should not *be* a driver, full stop.

The article quotes:

?The insurance industry is quick to condemn (young male drivers), but is much slower to do anything to help improve their driving standards."

It is the business of insurance companies to insure against risk. They are not driving schools - also, it is the business of Government to govern, not to be a driving school.

If the "young male driver" wants to lower his premium, he should take steps to improve his skill and/or lessen the risk he poses on the road. Schemes are already in place - the "Pass Plus" one, for instance. I am sure others could be set up that would improve matters - however, it is possibly true to say that the money spent on such by the individual would not be smaller than the premium they'd pay over time. So, "the biggest incentive to do anything to improve themselves would be lower insurance premiums" - yes - but they'd have to pay for extra training. I'm sure this wouldn't find favour either.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - stunorthants26
If 30% of drivers cannot afford insurance, then we need to remove these 30% of drivers from the roads. If you cant do it legally, dont do it, simple as.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - George Porge
Modern kids never hear the word no, they get everything they ask for and more. When they arive at adulthood they still want, want, want, want the car, want the designer clothes, want the holidays with mates.................................

Insurance, thats boring..............................
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - DP
Modern kids never hear the word no they get everything they ask for and more.
When they arive at adulthood they still want want want want the car want the
designer clothes want the holidays with mates.................................

My cousin saved for two years from a Saturday job to buy and insure his car, and does most of the mechanical graft keeping it running himself, with my uncle guiding and instructing as appropriate. Not all kids are the spoiled brats portrayed in the media, and if our circle of friends is anything to go by, I can think only of one lot who get what they want. The family in question is very wealthy though.

My eldest is barely five, yet does minor household chores to "earn" rewards, whether that's a couple of quid for her money box, or McD's Happy Meal as a treat once a month. She already understands the concept that good things need to be worked for and earned. We will carry the same principle on when it comes to a part time job and a car.

"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Old Navy
Its all down to standards, the vast majority love, nurture, and instill standards in their kids, as always it is the feral minority that cause disproportionate problems in all fields of life including motoring.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - George Porge
Its nice to hear DP, old school parenting :o)

Even when I left school and paid my keep (many don't these days) I still had to pull my weight and was told what I was doing on my days off.

I work with a bloke on the verge of bankruptcy because he can't say no to his kids requests for this, that and the other.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - GOP216
Modern kids never hear the word no, they get everything they ask for and more. When they arive at adulthood they still want, want, want, want the car, want the designer clothes, want the holidays with mates................................. Insurance, thats boring..............................

I'm sorry, what was that?

Oh yes, another stereotype.

Firstly, not everybody young is given money and owns a flash sports car. They're just the ones you hear most about. Drive past your local college/university and you will notice that you are not driving past some showroom of fast cars.

Secondly, jobs are becoming so difficult to obtain that driving/commuting is essential to work nowadays. Assuming a case is referred to where a rail or bus commute is not possible, in many situations, driving becomes the only option. Hence, without an affordable system for driving people cannot commute, get the jobs, and begin their life into some downward financial spiral as the longer they cannot work, the more difficult it is to get back of their possible debts and back into work.

Another useful system could be introduced that would make 'qualifying' cars of certain specifications cheaper to insure, as an introductory way into driving- and then if some accident should occur, then fair enough premiums could fly sky high.

But to discriminate by these rubbish stereotypes is not right to the many of us that in no way, shape or form should ever be described as such because we haven't actually done anything wrong.

"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - L'escargot
Bring back National Service.
The armed forces would sort them out, but don't deserve the job. The armed forces reflect society, and defiantly softened over the period I was involved, much like the penalties dished out by the courts.

Edited by Old Navy on 25/01/2010 at 12:23

"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - movilogo
I don't understand why insurers never offered like this for young drivers:

You pay a high premium. You do not claim and you get 60-70% of it back after a year.
You claim and you don't get it back.

"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - freddy1
but its pointles doing that , they hav,nt got that sort of money?
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - dieseldogg
Except if that business model were applied the preimum would probably need to be increased about 5 fold.
Think about it & do the sums, where does the payout money come from?
Here's some information about car insurance. tinyurl.com/yc25usj
And here's some information about the cost of claims. tinyurl.com/ye3y2jp
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - TheOilBurner
I would go along with the line of "can't afford it" myself, or even nobody will offer them insurance. Even so, that should mean they don't buy a car, rather than use it uninsured.

For my car, if I get an online quote today it's in the range of 300-400 quid.

If I change my age to 17, nobody, anywhere, will quote me at all. Ok, it shoves out 211bhp, so no surprises there.

So, for a laugh, I put my details in on my MiLs 2006 Fiesta 1.25 Style. I was offered insurance as low as £120.

Again, I changed my age to 17 (I'm actually mid-30s) and the cheapest premium I could get was £2700 with huge excesses in force and optional features removed (e.g. legal cover, courtesy car etc). Some of the premiums went north of £4k!

Given that there's no way your average 17 year old can afford this, and 17 year olds don't always behave responsibly (be honest...), is it any wonder they risk paltry fines of a few hundred quid instead? Don't forget that young people today see driving as a right and not a privilege. Who can blame them with the rubbish public transport system we have now?

There's a simple solution to this though. In addition to the fines, anyone caught without insurance should be forced to provide evidence of having bought insurance within 21 days. Past that, the car they were caught in should be crushed, even if it doesn't belong to them, with an additional fine payable for the tow-away and storage costs.

The insurance policy should not be cancel-able for 12 months to avoid paying up and then cancelling the next day.

That might make people think twice, either not paying up to get insured or lending their cars to others without checking they're covered first.

Those that simply cannot afford the insurance would then be driven off the road, which is as it should be.

As to cutting down on the number of accidents caused by young drivers, that's a harder one. Not allowing kids to start learning until they're 18, and then enforcing a 6 month/25 lesson minimum learning period might help a little. Maybe mandatory display of P plates with no passengers allowed between the ages of 7-21 until the age of 21, except for immediate family, perhaps? It might help to have a BHP per tonne restriction too, say no more than 60bhp per tonne, with an overall limit of 100bhp. So, your average 1.2t supermini would limit them to 72bhp, not exactly rocket ship performance. Again, until 21 years old.

At that point, by the age of 21 some idea of common sense has usually kicked in!

I can't imagine that none of this is impossible or would have no effect, even if there were some who still got away with it...
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - piston power
I used to work with a man who had no license, no tax, no mot, and deffo no insurance and he did not give a hoot, he said there's loads at it and happily bragged about how good he could drive.!

Im quite sure there is plenty at it but the cost is far too high for insurance take a local lad £2k for the ford Ka insurance the car is worth £1.3k it's far too expensive the price needs to come down or plenty more will jump on this band wagon.

Do these foreigners have insurance in the uk or poland? is it valid for the uk roads? do they care?
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Statistical outlier
Bigtee, the point is that it's not far too much. A straw poll of a young relative rekoned 50% of him mates had crashed within a year of passing. All on 3rd party, so the cost of the car is irrelevant, but young lads (and girls) do often drive like morons and the insurance costs reflect that, probably accurately.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - piston power
No insurance is far too much for the younger end it needs to come down there is plenty of idiots on the road not just these that have passed some have been driving a while.

2k for insurance is way over the top £600. is more like it if a man aged 45 can get it for £212. 2k for his son is crazy.

They have to learn to drive safer but the only way they can do it is with experiance & you can't do it untill you passed.
The various toerags with there contrived "accidents" for whiplash claims dont help either.
Plus the spurious whiplash claims by those involved in a genuine accident, & yes they do exist cos I have worked with them ( unfortunately)
I wonder are the younger less experience drivers likely to be either (i) involved?
or (ii) innocent victims
btw non of my immediate/extended even family have to my knowledge, or that I have heard of,have been involved in any accidents, over this last 30 years.
We should get a super discount, but dont
Sniff
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Bilboman
Britain is a highly mobile, car-oriented society and public transport is not a realistic alternative to personal transport for a sizeable part of the population. The slashing of the railways post- Beeching and the butchering of bus and coach lines in the 80s was all about putting Brits into cars and supporting what was then a large and prosperous nationally owned car industry.
A young inexperienced driver nowadays starting a new job - I'm thinking of nurses, fire fighters, night shift workers, minimum-salary workers at call centres, warehouses - cannot reasonably be expected instantly to move nearer to work, or to learn to ride a motorbike, or to take a taxi every time it's dark or rainy at the end or beginning of a shift. A foreign worker with years of driving experience coming to Britain faces huge premiums for years, and the archetypal "paper driver" (spouse of...) with virtually no experience is fully covered and pays a pittance. Those are the anomalies thrown up.
There is legally no excuse for driving without insurance but look how difficult it is for people in that situation to afford it, and this explains why it is so prevalent. ANPR? Brilliant system, catches thousands, bravo. But registration plates are cloned in their hundreds and drivers need to carry neither ID nor documents, go figure...
Other countries simply do not have the "losers and winners/them and us" attitude so common in Britain: "fronting" car insurance for younger drivers is acceptable and perfectly legal: the named driver, i.e. parent, faces any hikes or excesses, and NCBs are not so common or so generous.
On the continent there is a far more level playing field in that a Citroen C5 costs pretty much the same for any driver, kids can drive their parents' cars at the weekend and anyone can drive anyone else's car with permission. Added to that is the legal requirement to carry a driving licence whilst driving at all times, and the petty traffic stops and "producers" just do not occur. Much better system IMHO.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - OG
Anyone know where the 30% figure came from? The Association of British Insurers puts the number at 6.5% and I suspect many of those either would never buy insurance or can't for some reason, ie been disqualified.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - movilogo
Those are the anomalies thrown up.

Very well said. Does anyone know how much profit insurers actually make?

In many other countries cars are insured for anyone driving them. Why we have different (ie driver based) rule for UK?

In many other countries cars are insured for anyone driving them. Why we have different
(ie driver based) rule for UK?

If it wasn't more profitable the insurance companies wouldn't do it. There must be a reason why they can get away with it, poor regulation maybe?
Does anyone know how much profit insurers actually make?

tinyurl.com/yc25usj
There is legally no excuse for driving without insurance but look how difficult it is
for people in that situation to afford it and this explains why it is so

It's both legally and morally unaceptable to drive without insurance, unless the person doing so has a large amount of money that they are able to forfeit if they mow someone down.

If you are not insured, don't drive - it's as simple as that, in plain black and white.

I personally would increase the penalty for knowingly driving without insurance by a good deal, to include a fine and imprisonment.
On the continent there is a far more level playing field in that a Citroen
C5 costs pretty much the same for any driver

Is that really true, and across the board? I very much doubt it.
>> On the continent there is a far more level playing field in that a
Citroen
>> C5 costs pretty much the same for any driver
Is that really true and across the board? I very much doubt it.

Hmm, yes. I really can't see my C5 with it's 3.0 engine being the same to insure for a 17 year old, even in its home country of France.

If it is, I'd be gob-smacked, truly.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - AndyTheGreat
If you are not insured don't drive - it's as simple as that in plain
black and white.
I personally would increase the penalty for knowingly driving without insurance by a good >>deal to include a fine and imprisonment.

Sadly, higher penalties are unlikely to have much effect. Its illegal to murder people and despite the harsh penalties - people still get murdered. The mad, the bad and the sad...

Part of the problem is that there will always be those who:

a) - Dont think they will ever get caught so dont care what the penalty is
b) - Dont know what the penalty is
c) - think that they are the exception
d) - make a genuine mistake

Harsher penalties doesn't have much effect on a-c, and is also unfair on group d.
High premiums for young drivers - AndyTheGreat

Couple of points regarding high premiums for young drivers.

All insurers by law have to offer insurance (third party only). Many insurers just dont want to insure spotty 17yr old lads, so they will quote crazy high premiums - not that they are expecting to ever get the money, they just dont want the business.
I personally would increase the penalty for knowingly driving without insurance by a good deal
to include a fine and imprisonment.

>>
A fine to be paid out of benefits at pennies a week, no assets to confiscate, a few weeks in jail, warm, dry, hot food, and recreational facilities. No great deterrent.

Edited by Old Navy on 25/01/2010 at 20:52

"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Hamsafar
I don't see why bona-fide young male drivers should have to pay more, largely because of statistics grossly skewed by nocturnal car theives/ 'joyriders'. The statistics are utter junk.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Lygonos
The big payouts are usually to their passengers who suffer personal injury, rather than crumpled metal.

young male drivers (...) have to pay more largely because
of statistics grossly skewed by nocturnal car theives/ 'joyriders'.

Really? Then my and everyone else's premiums must be affected equally, mustn't they?
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Hamsafar
"Really? Then my and everyone else's premiums must be affected equally, mustn't they?"

No, every night, there are countless smashed caused by illegal young male drivers in stolen cars. Their age and sex goes in with the stats of every 'normal' person's crash and so skews the figures for insurance risk purposes.
every night there are countless smashed caused by illegal young male drivers in stolen
cars. Their age and sex goes in with the stats of every 'normal' person's crash

These people are not insured. Their crashes are included in general statistics, but not used for insurance purposes.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - AndyTheGreat
I don't see why bona-fide young male drivers should have to pay more largely because

They dont. They can get a bus/taxi/walk/cycle

of statistics grossly skewed by nocturnal car theives/ 'joyriders'. The statistics are utter junk.

I can assure that the stats used by insurance companies are not junk. Stats are very important to insurers, it helps them make money :)
A fine to be paid out of benefits at pennies a week no assets to
confiscate a few weeks in jail warm dry hot food and recreational facilities. No great
deterrent.

Not everyone who drives without insurance is that down & out. It would cramp the style of many.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - freddy1
a large proportion of people i know , who have been charged with no insurance , has been brought about by a failed direct debit.

now i,m not the richest of people , and have fallen in this trap.

now i ENSURE that my policy is not paid by DD

"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Dynamic Dave
now i ENSURE that my policy is not paid by DD

Quite right too. Why should I have to pay for your insurance as well as my own ;o)
Britain is a highly mobile car-oriented society and public transport is not a realistic alternative
to personal transport for a sizeable part of the population........................................ >> A young inexperienced driver nowadays starting a new job ...........cannot reasonably be expected
instantly to move nearer to work .............

They could get a job near where they lived, so that they didn't need a car. That's what I had to do when I was saving up to buy a car. It's not rocket science.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - pda
It might not be rocket science but it's still a fact that not everyone lives in towns.
Villages have neither places to work at, or any means of public transport to commute to where the work is.
Is it better then for these youngsters to embark on a life on the dole instead of learning a work ethic?

How about a grade of insurance that covers 'commuting' only?

At an affordable price with enhanced penalties for any other use.

Pat
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - b308
Haven't they tried something similar... based on miles driven if I remember rightly... is it still going?
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Nsar
There was a scheme by DIrect Line which fitted a chip in the engine and you got a discount for not driving at night but it was discontinued I think because of lack of take-up.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Waino
Villages have neither places to work at or any means of public transport to commute

to where the work is.>>

But it didn't use to be like that; car ownership put paid to that situation. If fuel/car ownership becomes too expensive again, then the balance will shift the other way.

I used to live in a village, but moved into town for convenience. It amuses me when villagers complain about rising fuel costs - it is their own fault that they lost the village facilities when they chose to drive into town.
I don't buy the "pity me I live in a village" argument either.

When I lived in the middle of nowhere and didn't own a car, I had to commute by bike, 15 miles each way. During the day I worked for 10 hours in tough conditions in a factory, and then cycled home again. I'm sounding like a Monty Python sketch now, aren't I.... ;)

Not easy, but do-able, especially when you're young.

The alternative is find a cheap flat in a town/city and move there for work.

Sure, it isn't ideal. But high house prices generally mean young people are forced to leave villages anyway.

It's a social problem that transcends car insurance issues.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - pda
>>>It's a social problem that transcends car insurance issues. <<<<

No, it's a practical problem that some prefer to pretend doesn't exist.

Cheap flat?......no such thing for a 16 yr old looking for a first job.

Pat
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - tyro
30% of drivers can't afford insurance?
Well, I can't afford a Bentley. Hence I don't have one.

Is insurance expensive for young people?
If so, don't drive. I didn't sit my test until I was 28. I managed without a car until then. I could not have afforded to run a car in my 20s, even if insurance had been free. So I didn't run one.

Are insurance companies unfair on young people and new drivers?
No. A very high proportion of the young drivers in my area have had accidents in recent years. And I'm not just talking about the wild kids. Even the reasonably well behaved ones have accidents. New drivers are prone to having accidents. I certainly was.

Is life without a car impossible if you live in a village?
I live in a small village in a remote area. There are working adults here who don't have cars - some without licenses. They manage.

Yes there is, it just might mean sharing with other young layabouts and putting up with one of life's less helpful landlords in a poor area.

There's always options, they're just not always that palatable, especially when compared to the comfort and ease of staying at Mum and Dad's!

I've been there and done it, there are practical issues, but they can be overcome - if you're willing to lower your standards, initially at least. Later on you get to pick the nice flats that require big deposits and have the supportive, helpful landlords.

Life isn't easy, and I suspect most young uns have been brought up with high expectations and very much shielded from some of the harsh realities out there...

The prime example of which is the near universal expectation of learning to drive at 17 and then buying a car. Or should I say, Mummy buys the car and fronts the insurance for them, if they're well off.
Strangly enough coming from a rural area & being a farmers son, it was expected that one got a licence at 17 ( though I did not until 18, first time though)
Except my father was very strict about insurances( among other things) so... NO "fronting" though quite a few mates were at it.
I did not have my own car , I bought that with my own money after Uni = Poly, with monies earned & saved from being in the TA
PS
in NI being a farmer did not equate to being wealthy
slept in sheets sewn up from Mortons flour bags, porrige for evening meals etc, etc.
Never slept in a cardboard box in middle of road though.
Mind I did once sleep in the gutter as a student ( alcohol induced)

That's irrelevant to this thread. They wouldn't have a driving licence anyway.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Dutchie

My daughter 24 pays £1800 insurance for a small fiat panda.She is a qualified nurse studied dam hard in Leeds to earn her degree.My future son in law who is polish smashing lad from poznan masters degree and works here in the uk as a social worker.They both arn't on high wages and deserve both every penny they work for.They both need a car for work they receive some petrol diesel allowance.Insurance cost is far to high for both their cars.

"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - gmac
Reading this thread there are a lot of comments about young drivers being the problem however reading the original link again, the young drivers only account for 9% of the 30%.
Where/Who are the other 21% ?
Reading this thread there are a lot of comments about young drivers being the problem
however reading the original link again the young drivers only account for 9% of the
30%.
Where/Who are the other 21% ?

The IAM report said "although they make up only 9% of the driving population, under 25s are involved in almost a quarter of all crashes that cause death and injury."

You'll have to ask HJ where the 30% of drivers who can't afford insurance come into it.
"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - madf

3.18 In 2001 there were almost 267,000 findings of guilt in all courts in England and Wales for the offence of using a motor vehicle uninsured against third party risks. Three things stand out from closer examination of this data. First a very striking gender imbalance: over 90% of those convicted in recent years in England and Wales were male. Second, an even more striking age imbalance: almost 60% of male convictions are aged under 25 and almost half of these are under 20. Third, a clear urban-rural divide, with almost half of all convictions being in nine Police Force Areas, all of which are predominantly urban. 13

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/miud/uninsureddrivingintheukb?page=5

3.20 The segment of the population most over-represented among defendants relative to their share in the population, are those described as in the 'Welfare Borderline' and those in 'Municipal Dependency'. Both are over-represented by a factor of at least 2.5. The former are 'people who are struggling to achieve rewards and are mostly reliant on the council for accommodation and benefits'; the latter are 'families on lower incomes who often live in large council estates where there is little owner-occupation'. Those most under-represented are those described as 'Symbols of Success', those in 'Rural Isolation' and the so-called 'Grey Perspectives': in order words, relatively well-off people, rural inhabitants and older drivers.

3.21 Mapping these various groups by postal areas and postcodes again points to a significant urban bias/inner city clustering. For example, 35% of MIB cases in 2003 involving uninsured drivers involved individuals located in ten urban postcode areas. 15

There is a simple solution:

Uninsured drivers lose all benefits until they have paid back insurance premiums.

Once the message gets out...

"Uninsured drivers lose all benefits until they have paid back insurance premiums."

Am I right in thinking that in UK law, law courts do not have the power to sentence people to being deprived of benefits as a punishment for committing a crime?

You only lose benefits if in jail..as I understand. the law.

And when you're in jail, you are getting room, board, and various other services courtesy of the tax-payer anyway, and so have no need for benefits.

I can see the merit of changing the law to allow courts to deprive convicted criminals of state benefits for a period - or even for life - but I suspect that the result would be that a lot of people would then feel that they had no option but to do something that would get them locked up. Of course it all depends how unpleasant they actually find the experience of being in jail.

Lets lock up a few bankers and take their benefits properties abroad etc.Before we all start picking on you blogs because its always their fault.The ones who don't pay taxes i believe the figure was 74 biljon pounds The fiddle on welfare benefits 0.7 biljon.Just a thougt.

"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - captain chaos

This one is oh so simple to solve.

Adopt the American system of licence plates. Year and month tags on the plates. No tax, MOT and insurance, no plates.

New reg snobbery seems to be far more important over here, though...

"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Niallster

No no the OP is looking at the past with rose tinted spectacles and is wrong.

I am 50 years old. When I first started driving the premium were certainly high but affordable as the insurers effectievly cross subsidised with older drives paying more than they really should have. You can certainly question whether this was right or wrong but that was what was happening.

The company that broke that system wwas Direct Line. If you remember the early days there were whole swathes of drivers and cars they would not touch. They creamed off the safest drivers and charged them less and initially made a huge profit.

Others followed suit and the market is highly competive for the 'wanted' clients. The young and those with convictiosn are now regularly qouted insane rates if they can get quoted at all and as the fine for no imsurance is peanuts compared to the premium I can see the temptation.

You can argue the rights and wrongs of the situation now but it has changed since our youth.

I don't condone anybody driving without insurance, usual the car is without tax or mot.But the insurance companies do create a big problem.The trouble is wants you start locking people up i don't think the prison system could cope.There are a lot of responsible young drivers out there,iam reluctant to blame the majority for the faults of the minority.They say there is statistics and statistics and figures on paper can be manipulated any way you like.The only solution would be for these swathes of drivers to pay a bit more for the young driver to pay a bit less which won't be populair so it problaby wont happen.I had a look on one of the continental websites and they do pay quite a bit less than in the uk.If you think about it driving without insurance should be a prison sentence,for starters you should't be on the road.I know iam contradicting myself here about prisons being overfull,but that is no consulation to somebody being killed by a driver who is not insured.

I would like to say forget about prison except for the most extreme cases and stop making car ownership such a "winners and losers", money-obsessed, class-conscious topic in this country. If young drivers are priced out of insurance then inevitably there are going to be more joyriders and uninsured drivers. Britain has an "exclusive" attitude to motoring, i.e. it is for the wealthy and privileged, since the public transport alternatives simply do not exist in so many areas. A more "inclusive" attitude would allow far greater mobility and opportunities and would eliminate at a stroke this small scale type of social "delinquency": every insurance policy to allow cover for any driver; compulsory carrying of licence and other documents and we're halfway there...

The issue of compensation to drivers or passengers who are injured or killed is a distraction; we love to watch uninsured drivers squirm under the lights of the TV cameras and boo and hiss and throw tomatoes at them as they are carried off in the tumbrils. ANPR and its associated high speed chases, helicopters and arrests makes for some impressive crime "clear up rates" and entertaining TV, but an abusive partner, drug dealer or serial rapist is a thousand times more deserving of a prison sentence than Mr and Mrss Middleengland who forgot to send off the cheque to the Pru last week.

I would far rather the quality of driving (and road policing, and roads themselves) were improved to reduce the car crashes in the first place - an uninsured driver per se is no threat to me, or have I missed something?

and stop making car ownership such a "winners and losers", money-obsessed, class-conscious topic in this country. If young drivers are priced out of insurance then inevitably there are going to be more joyriders and uninsured drivers. Britain has an "exclusive" attitude to motoring, i.e. it is for the wealthy and privileged, since the public transport alternatives simply do not exist in so many areas. A more "inclusive" attitude would allow far greater mobility and opportunities and would eliminate at a stroke this small scale type of social "delinquency": every insurance policy to allow cover for any driver; compulsory carrying of licence and other documents and we're halfway there...

Sorry but the above is absolute ignorant twaddle totally unsubstantiated by FACTS, The UK population is c 65Million. There are c 30Million cars on the road.. Exclusive? One car for every two people? Rubbish..

The issue of compensation to drivers or passengers who are injured or killed is a ..distraction;

Try telling that to the widows and parents of those killed.

I would far rather the quality of driving (and road policing, and roads themselves) were improved to reduce the car crashes in the first place - an uninsured driver per se is no threat to me, or have I missed something?I

Yes.. you have..People who don't insure their cars are by statistics largely law breakers as a matter of habit and make a choice not to insure their cars as they do not care. It's not a case of forgetting to pay as you suggest. 1 million people don't "forget".. they choose not to pay.

If you want drivers to be more careful - and we all do - then you have to ensure those who do drive take due care and that includes insurance.

I agree that making insurance cheaper for young drivers is a laudable concern and would happily pay say £20 per year more to so so. But frankly, some of the drivers are so reckless that no sane person would want to see them drive anything - insured or not...

And banning them from driving makes no difference in some cases: they just continue..

Motoring is not cheap and has never been and with green taxes is going to be more expensive...

Edited by madf on 13/09/2010 at 08:27

Attitudes to motoring are as I have described: Britain is obsessed with class and money, on the roads as everywhere else; otherwise why is there a new registration sequence every six months to catch up with the Joneses and the chance to buy vanity plates costing thousands to overtake them, whilst in France, a millionaire architect will quite likely take you for lunch in a ten year old Twingo ("C'est pratique.")

In Spain a teenager's typical first car is a 20 year old family heirloom, on a parent's cover and quite legally insured for any driver. At my local bus stop an LED display shows the countdown to the next bus, my payment card clocks off 55c for a journey to any part of the city and there are buses up to 2.30 am for late night revellers: teenage girls travel home safely on buses.

In Italy a nurse can lend a colleague her Panda for a month without her colleague needing to declare her entire life history to the insurer, see the premium rocket by 50% and end up getting the car seized and crushed because of an error in the ANPR system.

In Germany there is efficient, clean, decently-priced public transport and absolutely no one looks down on a bank manager travelling to work on the bus or S-Bahn.

Not twaddle - personal experience.

Biboman

You are changing your argument .

You said owning a car in the Uk was exclusive to the rich.

It is clealry not.

Then you claim be we are all obsessed with class and money.. SO how come the most classless car there can be - a Fiesta - is top seller?

Are all these discussions on this forum full of peopel saying " we want a Mercedes/Jaguar/RR?" Of course not.

As for your example of millionaire's driving humble cars, I am sure you couls find the same in the UK.. and IF you bothered you would have found a recent thread abot car salemen and aritocrates friving old cars and appearing scruffily dressed in car showrroms.

I find those who talk most about class are those most obsessed about it.. No-one else here talks about it .

Oops. A bit of topic drift on my part - guilty as charged. BUT...

The Fiesta is a top seller. By which you mean the brand new model. Let me guess, bought on credit.... Or was it 0% Finance? It's credit, call it what you like. In southern Europe the attitude to a car is to save up for perhaps ten years and then buy one new, and keep the car, look after it until it gets a bit long in the tooth and pass it on to Junior (who is automatically insured.)

People on low incomes and in financial dire straits tend to scrimp on things, and amongst the things they scrimp on are TV licences, council tax and car insurance: go and look at the cases in a Magistrate's Court on any weekday. They got caught because those types of crime are so easy to detect. I'm not talking here about the hardened crooks, joyriders, juvenile delinquents, drug dealers and other low life. I'm talking about decent hard working people who have fallen on hard times. People caught in the Benefits Trap. They shouldn't drive uninsured but they do. They also shouldn't do that odd decorating job for cash to eke out the money they have to live on. Unfortunately any kind of cheat in Britain is seen as second lowest life form ahead of a mass murderer on the evolutionary scale. (Except for that *tiny* minority of swindling City bankers, of course... )

"30% of drivers can't afford insurance" ? - Leif

Attitudes to motoring are as I have described: Britain is obsessed with class and money, on the roads as everywhere else;

You are certainly right that some people are obsessed with status, and that a new car helps fulfil that obsession. But I don't think you should generalise too much. Most people I know, and some are quite wealthy, drive modest cars. Many do buy new, but then they drive them into the ground. I think you'd have to look at sales figures across Europe to draw any conclusions. And you have to be careful too. In Rome it used to be the norm to drive modest cars in order to avoid being kidnapped.

I tend to think the status thing is true for those who are trying to climb the social ladder. Stelios, of cheap flights fame, drives a Smart car. Or at least he used to.

The French are said to be less materialistic than us.

Well ere, on our recent wee excursion to Cornwall ( & staying in a guest house for the class obsessed, & driving a 1998 car with a new one on order)
I was approaching our scruffy ( but absolutly servicible ) motor when Mr Englis says to Mrs English ......look theres another of those Northern Ireland registerations.
His car was a 607 which I had been admiring earlier without even twigging the plate.
Not being the least bit concerned about the age of the vehicle.
Were they obsessed with status or what.
sad.

Well round here we are obviously status mad.

My next door neighbour (sold his farm) runs 22 year old Merc.

His neighbour runs a 6 year old Rover. And his a 10 year old Merc.

And my across the road neighbour a 9 year old Saxo.Our youngest car is 7..

So we must be an oasis of non class obsession in a class obsessed society..

As for buying a car on credit, what's wrong with that? Sneering at people who do is pretty class obsessed:-)

Having lots of money does not always equals class.Or having a posh accent,its behaviour in my opinion and respect for others.I have a nephew in holland he is a director of a radio company down to earth lad drives a hyunda.Nothing wrong with buying on credit as long you can afford the payements and nobody suffers for it.We are living in a society where everything is instant we want it now.My first little car was a hillman imp bought second hand i did't want any credit two lads to feed and clothed which was more inportant to us than status.Our daughter drives a fiat panda no status there paid for cash with our help.