98 2.5 Hunting revs at low speed - corax
Ever since I've had my car (323i Touring), the revs have gone up and down at very low speed. If you're reversing, the revs go up and down, as if someone is blipping the throttle, even though your foot isn't moving on the accelerator. When you're moving forward slowly, as in a queue of traffic, the same happens. Occasionally I've stalled it as the revs have dipped.

I've lived with the problem so far and it doesn't affect the car in any other way, but I wonder if someone knows what causes it? Maybe the idle control valve? Or a glitch in the ECU program? Thanks for any suggestions.
98 2.5 Hunting revs at low speed - elekie&a/c doctor
A sticking idle control valve is certainly a possibility.However access to it is really awkward.It sits under the plastic inlet manifold ,behind the throttle housing.A good clean usually fixes them.Attached to the idle control valve is a rubber pipe and T piece that can come adrift from the inlet manifold and cause an air leak.It is only clipped in and sometimes one of the "claws" can break.Ecu on these rarely give problems.hth
98 2.5 Hunting revs at low speed - corax
Thanks for that elekie&a/c doctor. If it gets worse I will look at the idle control valve.