97 1.4 Head Gasket problems - smithy1980
The Head Gasket went in my car at the beginning of the year. I took it to a garage who quoted £450 to replace the HG.

I have had a call today saying that the HG, radiator and themostat have all been replaced, but the engine is still over heating (water boiling). They have said that the current bill is £520 and the only thing left is to replace the water pump which will cost me another £80... I have asked if this will fix the problem, but they have not been able to guarantee anything....

Firstly do I have to pay the £600 even though the car is not fixed (I know they have done the work, but they haven't repaired the car) and secondly is there anything else that they could be missing???

Please help as I am currently at my wits end as I maybe having to pay £600 out and getting nothing for it!!!!!
97 1.4 Head Gasket problems - bell boy
dont pay a penny
your car isnt even worth $600
how can a supposed garage change all those items and then say it might be the water pump
unbelievable
97 1.4 Head Gasket problems - sandy56
they should have checked that it was the radiator that needed replaced, its not rocket science, its just a car.
Ask them if they actually checked if the radiator was faulty, maybe the water pump is faulty, but insist on having proof/ detailed explanation in writing that that where the problem is.

Check with the AA and ask their advice. Also local council should indicate if they regard the garage as reputable, or maybe just incompetent.

All else fails you can walk away the car is not worth what you are spending on it.
97 1.4 Head Gasket problems - bbroomlea{P}
.*********

I doubt your headgasket has gone but its the lazy answer. 90% of the time, the headgasket goes because something else has caused it to.

It could be the water pump or thermostat or even something as cheap as the cap on the coolant bottle not holding the required pressure to keep the engine cool.

A competent garage will know how to determine where the problem is - i.e. are coolant pipes warm/cold running to/from the rad etc.

I would refuse to pay if they cant give you proof that the things they have done needed doing and contact trading standards/consumer direct or whatever they call themselves now!!