04 1.4 Steering veers to the right following kerb - siverfox56
In the icy weather, I skidded on ice and hit a kerb; now the car veers to the right and the steering wheel is slightly harder to turn anti-clockwise compared to clockwise. Pro-tyre (good guys) adjusted the wheel alignment but suggested I go elsewhere to get the "veering problem fixed" and with no visibile evidence of bent track rods etc they suggested that the knuckle joint / UJ might need replacing where the steering column joins the rack.

So I then went to a local garage where the garage inspected the car for free then said that a Hub knuckle - he didn't say if the direction of the veering implies whether it is the OSF or it is the NSF that is suspect - probably needs replacing at £400 all in but this was only 90% the probable cause.

Any coments or suggestions on where I can go (both literaly and and figuratively)would be much appreciated.
04 1.4 Steering veers to the right following kerb - Peter.N.
If you are in the UK presumably you hit the left hand kerb in which case I would have expected it to pull to the l/h side as the likely problem is that it has moved the wheel back slightly, if you hit it side on it could have affected the camber angle which I would still would have made it pull to the l/h side.

You can check the camber angle by standing the car on a perfectly level surface and placing a spirit level vertically against each wheel, the should lean in slightly in at the bottom, the same ammount on each side. You can do a rough check for wheel position by putting the front wheels in the straight ahead position and measuring the distance from the front to back wheels, which of course should be the same on both sides.

To be 100% accurate you need to take it to someone with a body alignment jig.
04 1.4 Steering veers to the right following kerb - siverfox56

Peter,

Thank you.

I did get Caster, Camber and Toe checked at Pro-tyre and the only one that was outside spec was the Left Toe which they adjusted. I attach a picture of their computer printout:->

s630.photobucket.com/albums/uu28/headache5678_phot...1

Er does this help me ? or does it eliminate a possible cause ?
04 1.4 Steering veers to the right following kerb - bell boy
i would suggest seeing as all suspension is ok that you have a twisted rack on the pinion in the steering rack
simplest way to check this is clear the two front wheels off the ground and pull a road wheel full lock to lock

edit.no idea what the blank bit is for above i put easiest way to check this is bla bla bla?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/01/2010 at 13:03

04 1.4 Steering veers to the right following kerb - Peter.N.
Nothing to far out there then. I can't see how the steering column u/j could cause it to pull to one side, it could make it stiff or lumpy. How exactly does it feel, if you let go of the steering wheel does it veer off to the right or just feel lighter in that direction?