License revoked.. long time ago. - Paul10
I understand that a revoked license can be re-instated when you re-apply with the DVLA. I also understand that you can continue to drive a car for 12 minths after the revokation date, but is the an upper limit on time to when you will not be able to re-apply for the license to be re-instated?

I say this as I have been stopped tonight as my car showed up no insurance or MOT. The car is insured untill December 2010 and MOT expires in August 2010 so I am at a loss as to why their computers say different. Also, they checked me which was difficult as I had no id or anything to prove who I was, but also my date of birth didn't match up with thier records by a day! More alarmingly they said my license was revoked back in 1999!

I remember a long time ago I lost my paper license and applied for a new one which came through, but some time later I had a producer which I showed my old license apparantly. I had a letter from the DVLA who said I recently produced an old license and I should send back all the licenses issued to me within I think 28days or my license would be revoked. Unable to find any license and in fear of them not believing I had lost the latest license, I wrote a letter to them saying I had since lost the latest license but have in my possession license number ..... and if ok will continue to use this one. I thought if they think I still had a license in my possession, then they will not issue another license untill all issued licenses were returned. This obviously would have been impossible if they were lost.

I fully understand back then they were aware of people who had a couple of licenses and would use each one to avoid excessive points being applied to their licenses. But this is not the case with me, it is a genuine mistake and at the time I genuinely thought the license I had was the latest one issued. This was all back in 1999. I never heard anything back from DVLA so "stupidly" I guessed everything was ok and that was accepted. In hindsight now, I guess I should have written or got in contact again when I didn't receive any confirmation.

The Police say I am able to just re-apply for my license and go from there. But I don't understand why I have been able to drive cars for 11 years effectively without a driving license. I have been stopped for various reasons during that time and more recently I was stopped in a random Operation Tonic check where all my details were checked... and all was ok. This was only 5-6 weeks ago! There has been many situations where it should have come to light the problem with my license but all has checked out ok. When I put this to the Police, they told me that they couldn't have done thier jobs right and not done the correct checks!

I am being reported for driving without a license and as a consequence, no insurance. I was cautioned and am being reported for that and as my friend who was with me and had insurance to drive my car, we managed not having the car siezed. I wasn't given a producer and I wasn't asked to sign anything, but they told me I should bring my insurance certificate with me to court.

I am very upset about the whole thing and didn't know what to do with myself for a few hours.. I just can't believe (if this is true) that I have been able to drive for 11 years without a license. I just hope now DVLA will be able to help me tomorrow and re-instate my license, but I am worried about the length of time between now and 1999 that I may have to do another driving test :( The other disturbing thing is the issues with the my insurance and MOT! Not to mention my date of birth... what's going on?

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
License revoked.. long time ago. - NARU
You can check what the insurance database saya by keying in your registration number to askmid.com

There is a similar service for checking MOTs on the DVLA website, but you need the number off the V5
License revoked.. long time ago. - Dwight Van Driver
The question of No Insurance and MOT is easily solved as you say you were covered.
So take those documents down to the Police Station , tell the tale, produce them and ask that details be forwarded to the Officer dealing with your incident.

The Driving Licence problem will take some sorting and you will need dialogue with them as to what record they have of you under either date of birth. They should have a record as you state previous checks on you, when it is presumed they did a Computor check on Licence, you came up clean.

dvd
License revoked.. long time ago. - Paul10
Ok, thanks for the replies ;o)

Yes, I have a valid MOT certificate which ends in August 2010 and my Insurance is valid untill December 2010, so in that respect everything IS ok.

I spoke to DVLA first thing this morning and they confirm my license was revoked in 1999 as I had not produced my correct license. On top of this, they had given me 6 points aswell as a result of not producing my license... this I never knew about whatsoever untill the lady at DVLA told me, and I would have thought I would have been fined as well, again, nothing.

She told me to get a D1 form from the Post Office and complete it as though I am applying for a Photo license. This I did and sent it off special delivery. I was also told I can not drive untill I recieve the new license... which is highly frustrating!

When I asked her about not having a valid license for 11 years and that it never showed up on previous checks during that time, especially with the Operation Tonic check just before Christmas, she just chucked and told me that the license will be re-instated with no issues.

I am worried about what the outcome will be with regards to the Police reporting me from driving without a valid driving license and the repocusions of that.

I would be able to produce the insurance and MOT certificate to my local police station, although they did not give me a producer or any paperwork atall or asked me to sign anything (is this normal?), so I am unable to tell my local station who to give the information to. Catch 22 here too, and another lesson learned I should always get the officer's number. I was just so gob smacked and shocked at what was happening last night, it never entered my mind to get thier names/numbers.

Thanks again and I appreciate your comments advice!

Paul.
License revoked.. long time ago. - jc2
Surely not informing your insurance company(tho' you didn't know) about your six points invalidates your insurance!!
License revoked.. long time ago. - SpamCan61 {P}
Surely not informing your insurance company(tho' you didn't know) about your six points invalidates your
insurance!!

You can only declare facts toan insurance company you are aware of i.e. in good faith; if the OP didn't know he had points then I suspect the insurance company would have a hard job claiming the insurance was invalid. What the position isnowis another matter.
License revoked.. long time ago. - pmh3
But surely the points if given in 1999 would now be out of time! If they are, retrospectively telling the insurance company will open a can of worms. Wait until the new licence arrives and see what points it has on it!

I am surprised that a DVLA employee would commit to a 'no problem' reply and indicate that the licence would be reinstated on the phone.

All sounds a bit fishy! Too many inconsistent issues to be in th real world?
License revoked.. long time ago. - SteveLee
Phone your insurance company and tell them you failed a police check, they should be able to fix that quickly ? unfortunately there no statutory period where insurance companies are forced to register your details to the national insurance database ? only a recommendation. Hopefully they're a reputable insurance company who have made a mistake not some fly-by-night chancers that haven't actually insured your car! The police could impound your car if they cannot get in contact with your insurance company on the say so of a big brother database. Similarly traders or drivers with driver policies are encouraged to carry their documents or inform the insurance company of the registration numbers of every car they are likely to drive. The driver cover query doesn't work very well, the registration lookup is more reliable.

Sounds weird but double-check your numberplates, a friend of mine drove around for years with an incorrect front numberplate due to a dyslexic moment when replacing it. Of course over the last couple of years you need 500 forms of id and a log book to get a numberplate made, the government assure us this is to thwart crime as criminals wouldn't make their own 'plate or steal yours because that would be illegal...
Paul are you having us on?????????

>>>>>On top of this, they had given me 6 points aswell as a result of not producing my license... this I never knew about whatsoever untill the lady at DVLA told me, and I would have thought I would have been fined as well, again, nothing.<<<<<<<

Only a Court can award poijnts on your Licence. DVLA cannot do so.....

dvd
License revoked.. long time ago. - Cliff Pope
Direct.gov appears to make a distinction between "endorsements" and "penalty points" and "fixed penalty points" but doesn't explain what the difference is, or who can impose them.
License revoked.. long time ago. - Bill Payer
Only a Court can award poijnts on your Licence.

:confused: Fixed penalties?

I suspect the 6 points will be the no insurance fixed penalty (& £200 fine).
Correct Bill...what I should have said DVLA have no statutory authority itself to award points. They must come as a punsihment from an infingement of law i.e. from Courts and of course FPN.

dvd
License revoked.. long time ago. - Fullchat
And because the OP didn't surrender licence to court for the proceedings it was revoked.
License revoked.. long time ago. - Blue {P}
One word to help with this - solicitor.

Get one now and good luck!
License revoked.. long time ago. - lynne198425
The same thing happened to me today!!!

Someone bumped into my car last week and as a result I had to pick up a hire car. I was in a rush and couldn't find the paper part of my licensce. Enterprise said it's was ok as they can contact the dvla to confirm my license. Upon doing so it's came to light that my license had been revoked 4 YEARS AGO!!!!

They advised that it was to do with a speeding conviction I got in sept 2005 and they had sent three letters over a three month period requesting me to send my license. I have never received any letters and dispute this completely - Has anyone else experienced this with the dvla?

I did get a speeding ticket in 2005 and paid this and had the points added to my license. This conviction is evenon my insurance documents. After this I then got a ticket in 2007, paid the fine and had my licence updated correctly.

I can't get my head around how since my license was revoked I have managed to insure my car every year, buy a new car, tax the car and have more points added to my license. In particular when the dvla received notification of my endorsement in 2007 why would they not contact the police to advise that I was driving without a license?????

Obviously I was very upset by the situation when I was at Enterprise and one of the guys offered to run me home. Once I calmed down I phoned DVLA and they advised me that it could be one of three reasons they were asking for my license.....

- The license was not produced for points to be added. (Def not this one as the points are on the license)
- The wrong licence was produced. (Guy at DVLA advised this was unlikely as the conviction in 2007 was updated correctly)
- The court have not updated the documents they send to the DVLA correctly I.E. The issue number. (Think it is probably this one)

What I don't understand is, why I am being penalised for a mistake that the court has made? Why would the DVLA not just contact the court and rectify the situation without involving me??!!

In regards to the the three letters over three months - I work in a call centre and if a customer said they hadn't recieved any letters I would think - Yeah right. Genuinely I have received nothing from them.

I really want to take this further as I have lost at least £100 in earnings from work today not to mention the embarrassment and stress it has caused.

Can anyone give me some advice on where I stand legally? Should I be asking the DVLA for evidence that they have posted the letters and why weren't any of them posted recorded to ensure they reached their destination?

I would appreciate any help or advice on this?

Thanks

License revoked.. long time ago. - Fullchat
Has your address been consistent? If not was it changed on your licence at the required times?
License revoked.. long time ago. - Harleyman
Lynne, I regret to say that whilst the staff at DVLA tend to be friendly and helpful, as an organisation they're like Caesar's wife, above suspicion.

It's very rare for them to be in the wrong, even if they plainly are; get my drift? ;-)