Police cars specs.................... - piston power
Followed a 08 plate i think it was a vectra v6 turbo i overtook it then just a few seconds later the blue lights came on & yes you guessed it i almost wet my pants but he was not after me but bye eck he took off at a alarming rate up the hill.!

This got me thinking what specs are police cars was this vectra a 3.0 v6 turbo or higher spec of engine?

Are they standard engines like from the vxr range or chipped modified?

The box standard astra 5 door is this just a diesel or higher spec?

Im in west yorkshire they might have different cars up & down the country up here there is volvo's & vauxhalls did see an impreza once.

(Moderators im not after any naughty information) just standard facts.

Edited by Pugugly on 11/01/2010 at 20:27

Police cars specs.................... - TheOilBurner
This would be the same 2.8T V6 as used in the VXR.

They're usually in SRI trim, I've seen a couple round here.
Anyone know the servicing scedule for police cars? im guessing but not the same as you and i service ours or am i wrong?

There is a place in wakefield west yorks were they go for servicing anyone work there?
Police cars specs.................... - CraigP
The cars are well serviced and on schedule. They are cared for at least to manufacturers recommended levels while in the workshop. Someone in the family was a sworn-in police mechanic.

The prep was pretty extensive in some cases, he's mentioned skimmed cylinder heads for a few extra horses to secondary alternators for the extra electrical load from police kit.

Outside the workshop, they are thrashed, hammered abused in ways you or i struggle to imagine. Someone else in the family said she thought nothing of driving over kerbs to get someone or get somewhere, at speed!

Sounds fun.
Police cars specs.................... - s.v.u.
have a family member who is in traffic in West Yorks. Hate to burst the bubble but he tells me that the cars receive just the bog standard servicing and he would buy a bicycle rather than an ex police car ! They are ruled by the bean counters minimal expenditure is the order of the day !
Police cars specs.................... - helmet
Neighbour across from me is a seargent in traffic at Wakefield, and my brother in law is a traffic cop in Northumbria.

Brother in law was telling me that they may be getting the same cars as Durham, BMW estates, but says they aren't a patch on the Volvos they currently have, as the BMW's are autos.
Police cars specs.................... - midlifecrisis

Different from our experience. The Volvos from 2007 on have been hopeless. Only a few left and I won't be sorry to see them go.

Edited by midlifecrisis on 16/01/2010 at 22:13

Police cars specs.................... - Pugugly
The original T5s had to have upgraded brakes 'cos the OE's were too weak.
Police cars specs.................... - corax
Only a few left and I won't be sorry to see them go

Whats wrong with them?
Completely unreliable, break very easily and take ages to get repaired!
Police cars specs.................... - Westpig
Brother in law was telling me that they may be getting the same cars as
Durham BMW estates but says they aren't a patch on the Volvos they currently have
as the BMW's are autos.

Tell him to make his mind up when he's driven one. Modern BMW diesel autos are awesome. The 325d auto I've driven is an absolute rocket ship and handles like a go cart.

The only down side as far as i'm concerned is the harshest ride i've ever encountered (apart from a BMW mini on big wheels)..plus a cabin space that is too small/ claustrophobic...so it would have to be the 5 series, no sports suspension and non run flat tyres if i was to have one personally.
We have 530d autos. Fine cars. The only issue is the run flat tyres cause some instability at high speed. We're not allowed to swap the because we're only allowed manufacturers spec on our vehicles.
Police cars specs.................... - Fullchat
MLC

You've got problems. Apparentlty we are going onto Volvo diesel estates :-(
We tried them and instantly discounted them as unsuitable. Good comment on diesel Volvos here: tinyurl.com/yzsbjs5 :)

If it makes you feel any better, we're receiving our new Jag XFs very soon!!!! :)

MLC's link has some rude words in it - PU

Edited by Pugugly on 17/01/2010 at 20:09

Excellent MLC, I thought you'd linked to the wrong video for a moment!
Now included on the T-PAC training course!!
Police cars specs.................... - Fullchat
"If it makes you feel any better, we're receiving our new Jag XFs very soon!!!! :)"

That was below the belt!

YouTube link sent to driver training supervisor, unless ......???????
Police cars specs.................... - smokie
They seem to often debadge them around here but I definitely seen police Vectras with the 3.2 engine (no turbo), same as I had - and it was fast, for a Veccy!
Down here in the south east they have all sorts of tasty motors, mitsubishi evo's, bmw 5 series, subarus, octavia vrs.

As seen on 'police interceptors', a program that focuses on the Essex area.
Police cars specs.................... - Dr Rubber
A polica friend told me the new Skoda Octavia VRS cars they had needed chipping by Skoda to get them to work. The thrashing they got from the police use to put them in limp home mode fairly frequently
Police cars specs.................... - Paul G1pdc
I used to work for
www.tssltd.co.uk/
installing cctv into police cars/fire engines etc.
and when you talk to the police mechanics they really care about the cars there working on. when being serviced/inspected all the wheels come off for re-balancing etc etc...there gone over with a fine tooth combe.
we often would see S70 volvos of course fitted with an extra passenger side mirror, and even though they might be the d5 model they would come without leather or a radio...but the radio speakers!!! I would remove one of the speakers and mount a rotator and rear mounted cctv into the hole...
taking the carpets etc out of a car with only 20miles on the clock was interesting..
once found a package of....lets say it looked like dried brocolli tucked into the back seats.. someone must have put it there when they where pulled over....interesting phone call to the officer/driver in question about items found....hahaha....
SOME of the police cars are fitted with black boxes to record the cars driven history, found out about a skoda VRS involed in a high speed run along an unmade road.
it recorded a err high speed, then a higher one, then 0....driver said he hit a hole went airborn and landed....holing the sump.....sump fixed back on the road again....
paul.
There is a ex police car up here used as a taxi been in it still has holes in dash and side driver says it's quick for a astra diesel but not that i would want one the volvos or the vectras maybe then again if driven over kerbs will these last!!
Police cars specs.................... - Devolution
As I understand it the vast majority of police cars on the road are bog standard in terms of engine and performance. If they need something quicker, they buy a quicker car.

Most police registered(patrol/traffic) vehicles are MOT exempt due to higher servicing regimes.
Police cars specs.................... - craig-pd130

"It's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks, it was a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas ..."

In the US, police 'pursuit' cars have a mythology about them. The 1969 Dodge Polara Pursuit had a 440cui / 7.2 litre V8 with quad-barrel carb, giving 305bhp (SAE net) and 400lb-ft of torque. In police testing it hit 60mph in 6.3 seconds and covered 1/4 mile in 14.3 seconds (at over 99 mph), with a top speed of 135mph.
Police cars specs.................... - Altea Ego
> The 1969 Dodge Polara Pursuit
with suspension designed by Harland and Wolfe, and the handling characteristics of the Titanic.

Tho, I have to confess, I nearly recently bought a Ford Crown Victoria.
Police cars specs.................... - Altea Ego
I understood that uk cop cars were run of the mill standard spec cars, but with uprated electrics for all the gear, but offered at much cheaper prices to the police.

Edited by Altea Ego on 12/01/2010 at 17:05

Police cars specs.................... - Blue {P}
Around my part of the world the pandas are base model Foci with the smallest diesel engine available.

Traffic cars are BMW 5 series estates and a couple of X5's. They appear to be 3.0d engined vehicles with cloth seats (leather wouldn't last long!).

They are phasing out the Volvo S60 models which in are all T5 models, again with cloth seats and manual A/C (no climate etc.). This seems to be a special Police Spec model as there is no production model with such poor spec!
Police cars specs.................... - grumpyscot
I thought most traffic cars were modified to allow the engine to run without the key, so tha the engine would keep the blue lights going, but would cut out if the clutch was depressed (e.g. if someone tried to nick it)
Police cars specs.................... - ifithelps
Don't think anyone's mentioned window glass.

There was a rash of so-called 'brick the squaddie' cases in the North East in the early 1990s in which yobs threw bricks at police cars.

This led to forces speccing non-shatterable 'glass' for the side windows.

Police cars specs.................... - Bilboman
"Window glass" is just the start of it here in the Basque Country: tinyurl.com/y8d5akd Owing to the still unresolved political "situation", the current range of cars used by the Ertzaintza - previous model Passat 4Motion with far from bog-standard engine! - have runflat tyres and are bomb and bullet proof. Aircon is standard as the windows - blackened - don't open.
Police cars specs.................... - RobertyBob
Autocar had an article about the police last week and I quote:-

?The BMW 530d that the Met uses is largely in standard showroom specification mechanically, although it does come with the highest grade of brake pads offered by BMW. Contrary to popular belief, the engine and suspension are not tweaked.?
Police cars specs.................... - honeybear
Yes, it's known as "runlock" and is activated by a button on the dash.
Police cars specs.................... - DP
Many people who buy ex-police cars, particularly traffic cars, mention they feel much quicker than other examples of the same car they've driven. I suspect this is down to lots of "exercise" and meticulous maintenance. The engine is probably just producing what it should, but most other examples at a few years and 100,000+ miles won't be.

A friend bought an ex Thames Valley Police Rover 827 from auction a while back. It had done 170,000 miles and was cosmetically tatty, but you could have eaten your lunch off the engine, or any of the other oily bits. It was in outstanding mechanical condition. Ran beautifully and went like something off a shovel. We wondered if it had been tinkered with, but I suspect it was just very loose and impeccably maintained. It was a complete bargain for the couple of grand he gave for it. He spent another £700 or so sorting the cosmetics out, mostly with breakers yard bits (dash was wrecked / incomplete from the radio gear removal, seats knackered, headlining baggy after lights removal etc), and it became a very nice car for very little outlay. Gave him another 40k of fast, reliable service until it was run over by an artic while parked up.
Police cars specs.................... - dimdip
Remember reading somewhere (might have been the DT) an article on one force's traffic police some years back, and it said they fitted harder dampers to the Omegas / Senators of that time, but that was the only performance mod.
Armed Response Vehicles (ARVs) have uprated dampers to cope with the extra weight of the armour plating to the doors.

Forces in the North East use large liveried estate cars which could easily be mistaken for a traffic patrol.

I've come across an ARV doing scene preservation at a road traffic collision.

I get the impression it's no longer considered an effective use of resources to have armed officers sitting around, doing nowt, so they are obliged to muck in, often with traffic.

Up here in Morley nr Leeds there is a police training centre were they often use those armoured volvo police cars and the white van they carry prisoners in they regular up and down the busy road A650 and we get the police helicopter above looks ace if it's your first time seen it regular a month back.

Police cars specs.................... - BobbyG
In Strathclyde the armed response vehicles ar 4x4s, eother Shoguns or Landcruisers and I think there is a couple of Galaxies as well.
But wasn't aware they were "proofed" in any way other than obviously lockable storage inside?
...But wasn't aware they were "proofed" in any way other than obviously lockable storage inside?...

A firearms officer told me they sometimes need to crouch behind one of the doors, which if left as standard wouldn't offer any meaningful protection.

I was an ARV Officer for a good number of years. Standard Police Omega/Volvo apart from the gunbox.

When not armed up, we did the same reponse/traffic work as everyone else.
Police cars specs.................... - Alby Back
It must though mlc, have been so tempting to do the " feelin' lucky punk? " thing...?

;-)
Police cars specs.................... - Old Navy
When I was receiving "Rules of engagement" training from a MOD police Sergeant I was told, "If you shoot someone who is not shooting at you or your pal, you will have to explain why to a judge". Our main problem in those days were peace protesters, who for some reason kept well away from the areas guarded by armed navy personnel.
Police cars specs.................... - Bedhead

I bought an ex RUC 2.8i Mk3 Granada, it was allegedly a Ghia, but had plain cloth seating, wind up windows and a limited slip diff, went like a rocket and was quicker than my 2.8i Capri, both in acceleration and top speed.

Dunno if it was a rapid response car, but it went REALLY well for a fat granny!
Police cars specs.................... - barneybear
The BMW 5 series estate that was pulling into my local Tesco in Co Durham last was standard fit - off-side head light not working. mentioned it to driver who was unaware, but nice chap who told me he would have to pop back for a new one.