Buying my first car - need advice - Baz79
Hi there,

I've survived so far without the need of a car but long journeys on the bus to work have finally taken their toll. Therefore, I'd like to get a car which is economical, low maintenance and which holds its value well - to take me to the other side of the city and back every day. The car will be insured under my 30 year old girlfriends name so its not going to cost much to insure.

I'm currently looking at 2005 1.6L honda civics and vw golfs - 3 door preferably, with under 100000km on the clock. Is this a good starting point? What other models, years, specs, etc. should I consider? I'm willing to spend more on the car if its worth it in the long run regarding economy and problems etc.

Thanks very much for your help!

Barry

Buying my first car - need advice - FotheringtonThomas
Vauxhall Corsa 1.7 CDTi SRi. Not sure about Km, though, this is Britain and we use miles.
Buying my first car - need advice - Brian Tryzers
... to take me to the other side of the city and back every day.
The car will be insured under my 30-year-old girlfriend's name...

If you're in the UK (and your use of modern rather than archaic units suggests you may not be) then this is a dangerous and possibly illegal game to play. If you're taking the car to work every day, you're its main driver and your insurer should know this or you could find yourself uninsured in the event of a claim. And if you're an inexperienced driver in city traffic, I reckon some sort of claim is more likely than not.

Take a long-term view of this. If you're driving every day, you need your own insurance and you may as well start now on building a driving record. 'Baz79' suggests you're not a 17-year-old beginner, which will reduce the cost. Next year should be cheaper and by the time you're three years in, you'll be the kind of respectable mid-30s driver insurers try to attract rather than deter.

Sorry if this comes over holier-than-thou, but misleading an insurer is not the victimless crime some imagine; it creates costs that are passed on to the rest of us, who make honest declarations about how we use our cars.
Buying my first car - need advice - FotheringtonThomas
The car will be insured under my 30-year-old girlfriend's name...

> If you're in the UK then this is a (snip) possibly illegal game to play.

"Possibly" don't enter into it.

(After Cleese)

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 06/01/2010 at 14:42

Buying my first car - need advice - Baz79
Sorry, I'm in Sweden but from England...