- time to replace, but with what? - girlydriver
The ol' workhorse has done his time with us and after 5 years he's beginning to show his age and grumble. I'm giving him a year and will replace all the little bits that are starting to fail (if they do in this time), but will be saving towards a permanent replacement.

I thought I'd tap your knowledge as to whether there will be any suitable new models coming out this year which I could consider. I have a list as long as my arm of requirements, mostly because the Almera came so well equipped it will be hard to give up a lot of what I already have; and I try to add at least one more piece of equipment to the list with each car I have.

Ideally, it will be smaller than the Almera. There's just two of us and we cover approx 10-12k a year, a large majority of city driving (around many roundabouts), with the occasional (1-2 times per month) 250 mile 'round trip to Bristol and back from MK.

Must haves (or certainly, would-very-much-like-to-haves. This is the trimmed version):
Reversing sensors (because many cars seem to have flared rear bumpers and vision when reversing is poor -I like the peace of mind that sensors give).
Air Conditioning
Electric as-much-as-possible (windows, mirrors yadda yadda)
Heated mirrors (is it just me who despises having to clear them in frost?)
Some warranty remaining (at least 1 year)
Less than £150 a year to tax
40mpg or more combined.

Optional:
Heated front screen
Leather seats

Have considered so far:
Yaris (TR or T-Spirit model)
i20 (Comfort / Style)
Jazz (don't think I can afford the new model yet)
Mazda 2

Budget probably around 8-9k, depending on what I can get saved up. I'm a big fan of Jap cars, having driven a '96 Civic prior to the Almera (and loved it to bits), not so keen on the VAG group (despite liking the newest Seat Ibiza) due to reliability issues, and certainly nothing French unless someone can convince me that their reliability has improved over the last few years.

Lastly (promise!), having had the dullmobile and seeing an RX8 and Civic Type R in the family I'd like something that looks sporty, even if performance doesn't necessarily reflect that. The Almera is relatively costly to run without returning a very good MPG (34 around town) and that disappoints me somewhat.

Sorry for the long post, I was always taught not to be vague but this I fear may be taking the proverbial biscuit! Thanks in advance for any suggestions :-)
- time to replace, but with what? - perro
This is one car I'll be looking at when considering replacing my 'dullmobile'
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=1549
I have an 05 1.8SE auto Almera which I've owned for 3 years now and it hasn't missed a beat.
- time to replace, but with what? - retgwte
suzuki swift, get a high spec one, ideally pre reg for a good price