Impending gasket problems 309? :( - dave18
-Low coolant warning light came on today, after a 150 mile journey last night. Engine cold when light came on.
-Very slow loss of coolant (the pint I replaced is still there after driving around, and the car has been driven a few thousand miles since having coolant replaced)
-Loss of power when cold. It really doesn't want to accelerate hard and will misfire if I try (if necessary that is; I normally keep to no more than 3000rpm)

However there is no overheating and the oil looks fine. I'm confused, but could these symtpoms indicate gasket problems? I've been wondering about the cold running for a while - its great once warm. Just posting this because I was concerned about the warning light.
Impending gasket problems 309? :( - IanT
When my 309's head gasket failed, it had the following symptoms:

-Water loss from the header tank overflow
-Water continued to drip after engine had stopped
-Puddle under the car, but total water loss not very great
-Never noticed any loss of power or cold running problems

This was almost certainly caused by a split in the cylinder head gasket allowing exhaust gasses to enter and pressurise the water circuit. Which then lifts the spring in the water filler cap to relieve the pressure.
Impending gasket problems 309? :( - dave18
Expensive?
Impending gasket problems 309? :( - David M
I'm basing this post on my experience of PSA XU and XUD engines. In a 309 this would be 1.6 petrol, or 1.9 diesel.

First off - is this a diesel or petrol, and what's the engine capacity? What's the mileage of the car, and do you see any fumes from the exhaust when starting?

Were you able to observe that the coolant level was actually below the level of the sensor when it came on?

Is the main feed pipe to the radiator "squishy" to the touch when the engine has been off for some hours, or does it feel rock-hard and incompressible?

Does the coolant system have a header tank, or is the header integral to the radiator?

If the car has no header tank, what level are you topping up to?

Also, you say "the car has been driven a few thousand miles since having coolant replaced"

Was this coolant replacement done by someone who knows the right drill for draining and filling a PSA engine with coolant? If the filling and bleeding isn't done correctly (a procedure fairly unique to French cars) then airlocks can remain in the system. Refilling requires the use of a "header" tank fitted above the filler cap - but an o-ring and drinks bottle with the bottom cut off will serve very nicely.

Even with correct refilling, there may be some loss through the radiator cap on non-header-tank models immediately afterward. They may often be overfilled and then allowed to settle down to a stable level (which should include a gap at the top of the expansion tank for expansion).

David M

You know Citroens make sense in an up-and-down world......
Impending gasket problems 309? :( - RichardW
Take the top off the expansion tank with the engine running and look for lots of small bubbles rising into the expansion tank, increasing with increasing revs. Also, take the cap off when the engine is cold, listening for a hiss. Either of these symptoms is a good pointer to head gasket problems (I know from experience on a BX TD). Replacement on the turbo engines is a b***** (and hence expensive!) non turbo / petrol engines easier (and hence cheaper). It's about a day's work, provided nothing goes wrong!

Richard
Impending gasket problems 309? :( - IanT
Replace cylinder head gasket plus timing belt - 309GLD 1.9 diesel (non-turbo).

£198.54 by non-franchise garage in 1997 (probably using pattern parts).