Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - FullaFlava
Do any members on the forum have any experience with outfits such as Dent Doctors who advertise to repair vehicle dents, dings and scrapes at your house without removing panels?

I have a ding caused by a car door edge in a car park in the nearside rear door which I would like to have repaired.

If the collective wisdom dictates that they are not worth it then a traditional body shop may be used but seems not quite enough of a job to get it booked in etc, plus it's not an insurance job. I don't fancy the idea of getting a Halfords employee to try it.

TIA

Edited by Pugugly on 03/12/2009 at 13:39

Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - WorkshopTech
These outfits are mostly franchise, so experience can vary greatly. Its all down to the particular bloke who comes out to your job. Look in the small ads and see if there is an independent dent repairer in your local area. A lot of men have been laid off by bodyshops in the last year or two and some of them have set up doing this sort of work. I use a chap who's been in the body trade for about 40 years and go made redundant from local Ford dealers about a year ago. He charges me £25 for a minor dint and more for bigger stuff.
Also try running it around to a local small bodyshop, they might do it for beer money as a lunchtime job. Nothing to lose by asking. Dont take it to a big place with pretty receptionist who wants to book it in for 2 days.
Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - daveyjp
A trolley ding in a door should be easy, getting the door card off to get behind the dent may take longer - our Aygo has one and one day I'll get round to doing it myself.

I had some work done on a Fiesta over 10 years ago on a creased wheelarch. The job was excellent, which considering the profile which needed reshaping was testament to the skill of the guy doing it.

I recently saw the guy who did it, he's still trading and he was doing some work at the local Jag dealership.

Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - Armitage Shanks {p}
There was a man, trading as Mr Dent, in the East Midlands. His stock in trade was going to main dealers and sorting the small dings and knocks on their PXs. I used him for a creased panel and he was very good and I think these people can be. It is, or can be, a franchise so results depend on the operator and not the brand name on the card
Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - WorkshopTech
A trolley ding in a door should be easy getting the door card off to
get behind the dent may take longer -

How difficult it is depends on the exact details of the dent. Shallow dents on flat panels are difficult, as are dents on swage lines.
Normally not necessary to remove the door trim. They have rods to go behind weatherseal or though lock aperture. Some also use glue-pullers.
Dont knock Halfords, they have a good serves for this problem at a reasonable price.
Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - almac
Used a local one when someone sat on the front wing of the BMW. Given that he was unable to take the wheel off to get at easily he worked very patiently for an hour and I thought did a good job. He was not happy and only wanted to charge half price.

Good luck.
Alan.
Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - Slightlyfatdirector
I used Chips Away in Sussex a few years ago to repair a nasty scrunch I had when my Metallic Dark Blue S60 clipped a Clio as I approched the M6 Toll (my fault). The damage was mainly paint scratches on the plastic bumper and also the metal wheel arch and it looked pretty nasty. A quote for £150 seemed too cheap but I thought I would give it a try. The results were excellent.

A colleague used them a few weeks later to repair a dent and paint damaged on a rear wing caused to his V70 by a 4x4 in a car park. Excellent and cheap job again.

What I would say though is the paint on the S60 did deterioate after a year or so, and never quite polished up the same. The surface feel and gloss / lustre was not quite the same as the rest of the car (but only after a year plus). My wife's Silver Almera has obviously had a similar job done at some stage as the same effect is visible.

I mentioned this to an ex neighbour I bumped into who works at a body shop and I had not seen for years and this is a known thing apparently. He explained that these companies are very good at a temorary job but for a cherised car he would not generally recommend them.

So I would say this is a good idea if the car is one you will sell within a year or so, but maybe for a car you will keep and cherish you might want to look at a professional body shop.
Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - Pugugly
www.paint-and-trim.com/

I've used these an was very happy with the result. It's a franchise but the chap that did my work was very good - he does pre-sales repair work for a local dealer who is also well regarded locally.
Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - Michael Robertson

We just recently used Bumper Repairs at bumperrepairs.uk.com - very professional and easy to use service that my wife found online.

We had been victim to some yobs keying all down one side of our vehicle and kicking in our bumpers over the weekend and after sending them some pictures and getting a competitive quotation we proceed to have them round on Tuesday.

i have never used a mobile car body repair company before but i was really impressed by the way the technician arrived ontime and actually made the effort to make sure our vehicle and surroundings were protected when painting the car.

Hats of to the vehicle technician working in the freezing cold - I dont know how he did it, but I made sure he had an endless supply of tea.

Very happy with the results and def much cheaper than getting the work done by both my local dealer and a few bodyshops my wie looked looked at.

Would thoroughly recommend them on their own merit as they provided 1st class workmanship!

Edited by Michael Robertson on 24/01/2013 at 12:23

Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - Ethan Edwards

http://www.scuffnchips.co.uk/

Covers Herts, Essex. I'm nr Chelmsford and he came out to me twice.

Once for my old Xtrail (gouged bumper) and thats a light gold metallic and did a first class job. Second time for a dented door on my Note (and this really gets my respect) he wouldn't do the repair as he couldn't do a job he'd be happy with as it needed a proper bodyshop. Top bloke.

Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - TeeCee

If you are in any doubt, watch the "Wheeler Dealers" in which they did a SAAB convertible.

One of the car's problems was a selection of pressure dents along the driver's side. Mr Brewer got in a paintless repair bloke who pushed, pulled and tweaked the whole lot out. A bit of polishing later and there was no evidence that the coachwork had ever been anything other than perfect.

Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - DevonJohn

I'm southwest based and used these guys www.dentrepairservice.co.uk The main guy there was franchised before going independant and works all over doing hail repairs so knows who is good and bad in that game, might be worth a call for a recommendation? Either that or call your local dealer to see who they use?

Mobile Dent & Paintwork Repairers Feedback Request - hillman

I've used 'Chips Away' once or twice and found the guy excellent. The first time was when I carelessly reversed into a roadworks barrier on a dark street. The dent was bigger than he usually dealt with and he was doubtful about doing a good job, but it turned out to be excellent.

The last time was cosmetic when I was preparing my car for part-ex. Again, a superb job. The next night I drove past a building site and a yob threw a stone at the car. It sounded like a bomb dropping as it hit the driver's door. I went along with the trade and the dealer knocked £250.00 of the trade price to cover the repair (and I bet that's what they did !).

My car has got several supermarket dings and scrapes. On a stormy night, when the car was four weeks old, a section of pointing fell from the gable seal and dented the bonnet. If I worried about that kind of thing I'd end up a wreck.