Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Alanovich
Right then, our VW Touran is one year old today. And it is in for its 1st service, at just over 9000 miles. Time and distance regime.

Booked the car in 5 weeks ago, received text confirmation of booking along with reservation for a courtesy car. All good. Yesterday, received a text reminder that tomorrow is the day. Bring licence and insurance for courtesy car. Excellent, well done Mr Dealer.

Arrive this morning at Service Reception. "Mr B**** here, got my Touran for you to service." "Oh really?" he says. "No record of the booking on the computer, sir." So I showed him the text messages, and a slot was freed up for me somehow after 10 minutes of tooth sucking. Then, of course, I remind service man that I have reserved a courtesy car. Ah. Could be a problem. 10 minutes of running around and a reasonably nice, clean VW Polo is produced. That'll do the job nicely, thank you.

"OK, Mr B****, the invoice will be £150.00 on collection. See you later", they say. "We'll call you when it's ready."

"Oh no it won't be £150.00", says Mr B****. "When I bought the car, we got three years servicing thrown in, included in the price. Also, can I check the contact number you've got for me?" Turned out the mobile number spat out by the computer was completely wrong, despite me having received text messages correctly from someone. Also, my home number was wrong.

So more faffing about to check my story. Do they think I'm stupid and will just cough up? I distinctly remember questioning whether the service department would be aware of the free servicing when the time came, when we bought the car. Of, course all assurances were given at the time, but come the time there has to be a hullabaloo about it. And where they got the random phone numbers from, heaven only knows.

So, all in all, it took absolutely ages to drop the car off, when it should all have been easy, and listed on the computer when my reg number was tapped in.

All is sorted, but I really do begin to doubt the ability of a dealer to do a proper servicing job if it can get its admin so badly wrong.

Two more free services, and I think the Touran will then be getting swapped for a Mazda 5. And I'll be checking the condition of the oil filter when I pick it up.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Old Navy
Its not just VW, I booked my Focus in for a service using the local dealers online service.

I happened to be in there a few days before it was booked in and checked if all was well.

No trace of the booking at all!

Trust the motor trade, you must be joking!
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Altea Ego
Ok hows this.

Car goes in for warranty Item. Pre booked with good description of error. Courtesy car required.

Arrive at garage, Service receptionist says "Good Morning Mr Ego, Car in for warranty work?" (he had seen my car rock up and checked his service dockets, matched my reg number and got my name before I had even taken the lap top out of the boot)

"We have your courtesy car, we hope you dont mind but we got you one exactly matching your current car" (I did mind I would have liked a leon FR but hey ho better than an Ibiza)
sign here."

"We will phone you when its ready"

5 hours later get phone call. "car ready sir"

It was, fixed and washed and mini valeted.

All in all exemplary service.

Car in
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - commerdriver
Be interesting to see how you find garage treatment in a year or two after xx years of being a company car customer.
I have never dealt with a main dealer when I was paying the bill personally.
Be interesting to see how you find garage treatment in a year or two after
xx years of being a company car customer.
I have never dealt with a main dealer when I was paying the bill personally.

I dont even know how to tax a car! Its like being let out into the big wide world after 36 years in jail! Insurance? whats that. V5? never seen one - it was brown carboard logbooks the last time my name was on one.

Edited by Altea Ego on 20/11/2009 at 11:45

I dont even know how to tax a car! Its like being let out into
the big wide world after 36 years in jail! Insurance? whats that. V5? never seen
one - it was brown carboard logbooks the last time my name was on one.

My BiL has recently moved into the real world of motoring, I think he is still in shock.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - stunorthants26
Exactly the reason why when I book my car in, I do it in person. Nothing like talking to a person.
I did it in person. On the phone, with a person. The person then obviously screwed everything up putting the information into the computer.

If you're suggesting it's better to physically go in the dealers to make the booking, I can't see how that will help someone's data entry skills.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Optimist
Six or seven weeks ago I tried to contact my local Nissan dealer to book the car in for a rattle from the hatchback.

Rang number for service. Answered by someone in sales who says service people are busy. Can he help? I explain problem, leave name, number and car reg. He'll get service to phone me back.

A week later I ring again. Answered by same bloke in sales who says service are busy and can he get them to phone me back? I don't know, I say, can you? Then I explain we had the same conversation a week before. He takes details again.

A week later I'm driving past the dealers so I go in. Service manager denies all knowledge of messages to phone me. Says hatchback lock needs replacing and he'll order. To be fair he has a mechanic out to check the rear shock absorber mounts which have also caused problems on the Qashqai.

They phone me last week and leave a message that lock is in. Will I phone to book the car in?

This morning after about ten attempts someone in sales finally answered the phone. I've left a message.

Will they return the call? I don't know. I do know that when I tried another Nissan main dealer in another town the approach to customer satisfaction was little better.

Can anyone suggest anything other than unlawful wounding which might get them to improve?
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - AlastairW
Why phone the sales dept to book a service? When I used top used a main dealer I always phoned the service dept direct. Never had a problem with a booking.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Optimist
I always ring the service number.

Since they rarely answer it's often someone in sales who does.

They are not all bad, the indy I have used for years, other than occasionally testing the dealers, who invariably fail the test, (must be a slow learner) uses a big A4 sized diary and a pen for bookings. Low tech but it works. He uses a computer system for parts ordering and billing but the diary wins every time for bookings.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - bell boy
i was in one of the larger car breakers this week looking for a fairly common part and the nice lady behind deception said computer say no but let me check
out of a very large filling cabinet came a very large folder and the lady says yes we have that part far right down the yard 3 in heres a yellow jacket
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Happy Blue!
Five years ago we bought a Hyundai Trajet with three years free servicing. Took it three separate Hyundai dealers and all three knew about the free servicing when I arrived on the day.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Martin Devon
Exactly the reason why when I book my car in I do it in person.
Nothing like talking to a person.

SOME person(s)
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - perro
>>> "No record of the booking on the computer, sir <<<

Bit late for you comrade, but its always a good idea to get the name of the carbon based unit you had dealt with on booking said exemplary service.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Bill Payer
"OK Mr B**** the invoice will be £150.00 on collection.

I'm most amazed that a VW dealer will service a Touran for £150!

I think bad VAG service is something that all group employees and associates are indoctrinated with. I've had isseus with VW, SEAT and Audi.
An Audi service advisor called my SIL in law a liar when she said she'd booked a courtesy car. They didn't have any car she could use but said they could service the car in an hour, and then took three.

Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Simon
>>Can anyone suggest anything other than unlawful wounding which might get them to improve?

Yep, next time you ring up and they can't get you through to the right department and/or they don't return your calls, ask to speak to the Dealer Principle and let him/her know your thoughts...
Agreed, the mention of "Dealer Principle" seems to put the fear of something into dealer staff.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Pat L
Sorry to be pedantic, but it's 'principal' :))
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - motorprop
sorry to be doubly pedantic, but it's ' Existence '
sorry to be doubly pedantic but it's ' Existence '

Perhaps your "sorry" needs a capital letter at the start? A full stop at the end of the sentence? No spaces between your quotation marks and "Existence"? Use the correct quotation marks maybe?

Dearie me. If you're going to pick people up on typos, you really ought to make sure your own house isn't made of glass. :-)
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - smokie
Sorry to have to moderate, but can we drop the pedantry? There's enough off topic stuff without unnecessary remarks like this.

Thanks

smokie, Moderator
Sorry smokie, that was my way of trying top put a stop to it. It's hard not to respond to such blatant hypocrisy.

Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - DP
Agreed the mention of "Dealer Principle" seems to put the fear of something into dealer
staff.

The Dealer Principal's card, complete with direct telephone number, was in the handbook pack for our MX-5 when we collected it from the dealer, alongside the salesman's, and the service manager's. We were told to call him if we had any concerns or issues at all at any time.
Needless to say their service during the buying and ownership period was truly exemplary. I have put quite a lot of business their way since (they have sold two Mazda 6's and three MX-5's from my referrals over the past four years), so this approach does have real commercial merit.

The contrast between the attitude and approach of this dealer, and those of the various company owned Fords and Peugeots I've had is just remarkable. I can't believe a manufacturer will spend billions designing, building and marketing a product, only to have a laissez-faire attitude to the people providing the actual customer interface. I've had dealerships lose locking wheelnut keys, leave drain plugs loose, replace parts (mostly brakes) which are perfectly OK, and mess me around over bookings. Apart from two positive experiences (with Mazda and Renault, believe it or not), I couldn't recommend the services of a single main dealer that I've used. Poor workmanship, unable to fix simple faults, and an indifferent attitude to the customer. All for £100 an hour!
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - ifithelps
...Poor workmanship, unable to fix simple faults, and an indifferent attitude to the customer. All for £100 an hour!...

I don't have much faith in the dealer network, either.

But I do have some faith in the reliability of the product, in my case a Ford.

If it continues to be reliable, I can limit my exposure to the dealer to an annual visit for a £200 oil change.

Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - DP
But I do have some faith in the reliability of the product in my case
a Ford.

No complaints with the product at all either, ifithelps. In the case of the Peugeot though which did have reliability issues, it was like pulling teeth getting anything fixed. Eleven visits to cure a stalling problem being one that springs to mind, but if you took it in there with a problem, you could almost guarantee a bill for £300-£400 (thankfully which I wasn't paying) and the car back with the fault still present. It was truly shocking. The service receptionist was gorgeous though, and extremely friendly (i.e. almost impossible to get angry with / shout at). She probably kept their service department going. :-)

I remember a friend telling me that a BMW dealership he used to use would, on request, hand him a box with all the old parts inside. A technician would be happy to spend a few minutes with him showing him why the parts had been changed. Thought that was a nice touch. The car in question was an E46 M3, and when this suffered a major mechanical failure, their service was amazing. He had a replacement car within four hours, a new engine in a crate from Germany within 24, and the car back to him with a full tank of fuel, valeted, and with the next service "on BMW" within 48.

Edited by DP on 22/11/2009 at 10:29

Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - henry k
>>I remember a friend telling me that a BMW dealership he used to use would, on request, hand him a box with all the old parts inside. A technician would be happy to spend a few minutes with him showing him why the parts had been changed. Thought that was a nice touch
>>
It is standard procedure for my Indie to either leave all the old parts in the passenger foot well or have them displayed for inspection. Four disks and sets of pads were there on the workshop floor when I collected sons Focus.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - cheddar
Four disks and sets of pads were there on the workshop floor when I collected sons Focus. >>

I wonder how many times they have got that lot out over the years ;-)
I remember a friend telling me that a BMW dealership

If you spend any time reading the BMW forums then you will find that your friend's experience was pretty unique.

I had a loan BMW company car for a couple of months which developed a fault - the experience with the dealership was enough to determine that I'll never buy a BMW.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - bbroomlea{P}
I had a similar experience at our local Fiat/Mazda/Hyundai dealer when trying to book our 1 year old Punto in for its first service.

I should have known better after it needed a small warranty repair after a few months and after getting to the garage they had no courtesy cars and no parts - so come back next week. Great thanks - only a 25 mile round trip!!

When they tried to rip me off with a service I told them they had quoted me incorrectly due to long life servicing due to mileage - they soon changed their minds and dropped the price but I told them to get lost and used another dealer instead.

The offending dealer is a large chain dealing with multiple manufacturers and my new found dealer is a local family run affair and are fantastic - its a shame they couldnt offer the same deal on the car when buying it new but will stick with them for the services in the coming few years.

My experience of large dealerships is they couldnt give a monkeys about their customers and have no idea how they survive (oh yes, we have bailed them out with silly scrappage allowances - another story maybe!)

Sorry for the rant but feel much better now :-)
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - legacylad
The future Mrs L covers quite a large annual mileage...currently 90k on her '07 Passat Tdi. However, one of her colleagues covers even more miles, and his Mondeo required a new clutch after 2 years and 123k miles. It was duly booked in, and he was promised a 'similar' sized vehicle to satisfy his business requirements...he carries lots of samples. Come the day, all they have is a Ka! Come the evening, he arrives main dealer to collect his car. Off he trots, but they have given him the wrong key. Transpires they have given his car an oil & filter change, and changed somebody else's clutch. Back to the Ka.
How he laughed......
I'm most amazed that a VW dealer will service a Touran for £150!

First service on a 2.0 TDi PD Touran is essentially an oil change on time and distance regimes. So £150 is a bit OTT really, as you would expect.
First service on a 2.0 TDi PD Touran is essentially an oil change on time
and distance regimes. So £150 is a bit OTT really as you would expect.

That's all it is on most cars. Imagine my surprise when a Mitsubishi dealer asked for £200 for the same service on daugher's Colt. And the cheapest a Honda dealer would go to was £160 for our old Jazz (although that did include a years Honda breakdown cover).

On my Merc it's £260, £100 of which is for the oil (but the dealers will cheerfully let you supply your own).
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - L'escargot
.......... "Mr B**** here ...........

To avoid any confusion, either on the phone or in person, I always use my first name and surname. There could be other Mr B****s, and in any case they know you're a Mr by your appearance and your voice.

Edited by L'escargot on 21/11/2009 at 08:28

Listen, you think you got troubles.

I bought a large Hadron collider. I paid full list price and it took 7 years to deliver. I drove it for two weeks and it broke, and its taken the maker 14 months to fix it. Would they provide me with a loan hardron collider? even a basic version? NO they wouldnt.

So much for the "must be of merchantable quality" wot a lood of old flannel.

It now seems that there is a generic problem with the superconducting magnets that effect any models of the large hardon coliders. I wrote to Vosa but they didnt want to know.

I went to the small claims court ( i know my rights) but they said that 3.5 billion euros is too big for that process.

I now have it back but i dont trust it.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Avant
Did it collide with a bus? (Sorry)
NO thats the point, it never collided with anything. Do i have a case under "not fit for purpose"?
AE, did you RTFM, and do you have a licence for that class of vehicle? Ask for a reduction in the insurance premium if it wont collide.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Avant
You insure it against NOT haveing a collision.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - ifithelps
There was a time when Hadron Colliders were only in the hands of gentlemen.

I blame the easy availability of cheap finance.
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - theterranaut
It'll only cause a resonance cascade anyway...
hardron collider?

Oh err missus.
Listen you think you got troubles.
I bought a large Hadron collider.

BRILLIANT
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - Hummerman
Here is my experience with getting my Hummer serviced.
If I call to arrange the 5k Oil and Filters changes they come to my office or home and do it on the spot. If I take it to the centre I sit in a lounge with TV, Tea & Coffee, food, Xbox, and PC's & Internet.
If I need the big 12k service I can have the vehicle collected and delivered, or alternativly I take it to the centre where I pick up a courtesy car, but being a smart company they always put me in an Escallade, Denali or something big and expensive, I think its to try and tempt me into spending more. The big services take three days minimum, but for that you get the works - new fluids, new brakes, tyres filled with nitrogen (dunno why!), any scratches and chips repaired, full valet, rolling road test, it's incredibly comprehensive ! and how much does this cost......400 quid !
Life in the Middle East isn't that bad at all........did I mention a 50 litre tank of petrol costs me 9 pounds!
Life in the Middle East isn't that bad at all........did I mention a 50 litre
tank of petrol costs me 9 pounds!

PAXO!!
PAXO

Now thats someting we don't get ! Oh for a sunday roast......
Dealer right arm unaware of existance of left arm - cheddar
did I mention a 50 litre tank of petrol costs me 9 pounds!

An probably just about gets you off the forecourt in a Hummer.

Edited by cheddar on 22/11/2009 at 08:18

Hey ! I get a reasonable 11mpg.