02 1.9tdi PD130 starting problems when parked - ajm400
Had the car from new,estate sport, 110k miles, last 2 years had problems starting when parked nose up ( only a few inches and progressively getting worse ), turns over fine after several mins cranking it starts, runs rough, feels like fuel starvation, fine after 10 seconds of running. ( has worn the starter motor out over time ) When parked nose down starts perfect every time. since problem fuel filter and fuel pipe to PD pump changed ( Known rubbing point under the main air intake tube at the back of the head ) Can not find any air or fuel leaks. Fuel / oil consumption good and never change, regular serviced, otherwise great car - anybody ever solved this one ?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/10/2009 at 00:28

02 1.9 1.9tdi PD130 starting problems when parked - 659FBE
I would be looking at the in-tank lift pump and its strainer first. Check that the lift pump is energised for about 2 seconds following key "on" and when the engine is running.

02 1.9 1.9tdi PD130 starting problems when parked - ajm400
i can hear what seems to be the lift pump kick in when you turn the key to the first position( thats not to say it is working ) I have heard that the PD engine uses the PD pump to pressurise the fuel system and the rest of the system runs at neutral pressure, is there a non return valve in the lift pump system? could the fuel be draining back ? i also heard some models do not have a lift pump system, I found an old blog from this site from 2005 where they had the same problem,(google "passat tdi starting problem" )they clamped the fuel lines over night inlet and outlet and it did not cure the problem.
02 1.9tdi PD130 starting problems when parked - macavity
How old is the battery? It is possible for an old battery to still have the power to turn the starter motor, but the voltage may have dropped (with age) too far for the modern electronics (relatively modern) to work correctly.
02 1.9tdi PD130 starting problems when parked - Peter D
Yep had one of these in a couple of days ago and when you power up the in tank pump, it is not just a lifter as the only other pump on a PD is the cam driven injectors, you can here the air rushing around the system priming itself but of course the the pump shuts down after 2 seconds and air is still left in the fuel rail and cranking allows some air into the injectors. I traced this to a perished peice of pipe at the non-return valve. I went to remove the valve to test/replace it and when I removed the clip and the pipe it left hardened rubber on the valve. I trimmed the pipe back and remade the joint. The owener reports problem fixed but he is aware that all these pipes should be checked or changed in the near future. Regards Peter
02 1.9tdi PD130 starting problems when parked - 659FBE
Not fully accurate, Peter.

The PD engines have an in-tank lift pump, a tandem pump and unit injectors. There is therfore a 3 stage pressurisation of the fuel.

The lift pump does just that, developing only a few PSI. It does have an additional role in the circulation of fuel to keep return temperatures down. The camshaft driven tandem pump is a twin unit, half vac pump and half fuel pump. Its purpose is to pressurise the fuel to around 100 PSI to give rapid filling of the injectors via the gallery in the cylinder head.

The unit injectors are the real masterstroke. Driven by dedicated cams and rockers, considerable force is available to pressurise the fuel to almost 30,000 PSI in order to give the best possible atomisation and metering efficiency. A PD without a soot filter is consequently one of the most efficent diesel engines around.

Thanks 659FBE I completely forgot about the tandem pump down the back of the block and lossing the skin off my knuckles getting access to it. Regards Peter
Good info all, PeterD where is the none return valve you talked about ? In the mean time I have just changed the O rings on the Tee piece feed into the fuel filter as felt a bit loose but looked good enough to maintain a seal. Not tested the car yet.
In one of the pipes to the right of the filter in the fuel return pipe. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 31/10/2009 at 17:49

Hav checked this out, turns out the unit on mine is a fuel temp sensor ( local dealer checked on the computor no non return valve in the system on this car ), changed all the pipes and o rings on filter tee piece, still no improvement ! Any other ideas ?
I need you engine code and your email address and I'll send you the diagrams. The code is on the ID Label in the spre wheel bay or in the front of the sevice book. Regards Peter
PeterD,
found some numbers in service book
AVF FRK
LC5X RW
SG6
3B6 262

E mail - andy-lynne-2@hotmail.co.uk
02 1.9tdi PD130 starting problems when parked - maxum 5140

I have a 2003 awx 130 tdi doing the same as yours.

leave it slightly parked down hill and starts first time every time.

leave it parked slightly up hill spins over about 10 times before it starts.

just wondered if you had any luck finding the fault?

Check your emails.

It could be any one of the clips, hoses or the one way valves.

Regards Peter

02 1.9tdi PD130 starting problems when parked - JOE O'

Hi

I have same problem with 03 1.9tdi 130,. Did yolve your problem ? How ?

Thank You

Usually it is in the engine compartment due to the heat exposure. Inspection may find the leak but often the pipe has to be removed as it can be caused my hair line cracks in the inner surface of the pipe where it has been crimped. The connection at the tank should also be checked via the inspection plate under the read drivers side seat. Regards Peter

Read this tread on the subject.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=101246

Regards Peter