Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - Alanovich
Back in July, I had a minor knock.

To explain the situation, I was at a t-junction indicating a left turn, second in line behind a pick-up which was indicating right at the give way line. The pick-up set off on his right turn, changed his mind, stopped half way across the junction, and reversed back in to the t-junction towards me. He didn't look, went too far in his haste and hit the front of my car, puncturing the plastic bumper with his tow bar (the corner of the bar which hangs below the bumper, not the ball bit, hence the puncture), and furthermore denting a metal cross member behind the bumper. The bumper is also bent out of shape on the other side of the number plate as a result of the movement, and will need replacing to ensure a proper repair. I was so surprised to see him reversing towards me, I didn't have time to check behind me (it was clear as it turned out), select reverse and move out of the way before he hit me.

My guess as to the cost of the damage is more than a couple of hundred pounds (it's a 2006 Mazda 6), considering it's a whole new bumper and a straightening out job on the internal damage. I'm thinking, probably a couple of grand, even though it doesn't look much.

I was driving my children to nursery at the time (1 and 4 years old), so I jumped out of the car and took the pick-up driver's name, number plate and phone number. Foolishly I didn't get his address as I wasn't thinking straight, as I just wanted to get back in the car as quickly as possible to calm the bawling children down and get them out of danger. I couldn't take them out of the car as there was no-one else to look after them. There were no witnesses and no bystanders, it was about 10 to 8 in the morning in a quiet residential area on a very quiet day for traffic.

So, I informed my insurance company, snip !, and provided my statement and drawing of the scene. Since then I have been chasing them up for progress, and now they have stated that the other driver's insurers have 90 days to respond to my accusation of liability to the other driver. And, even after 90 days they only have to respond if my insurers have incurred a financial loss, i.e. we've gone ahead with the repair.

So let me get this right. If I go ahead and repair, my insurance company pay. If they then insist on a statement from the other driver, he may well deny liability. In which case, I'll lose my no claims history and it'll cost me a packet come renewal. Or I cough for the repairs myself. Can this be right? Can the other driver refuse to respond to a enquiry regarding liability?

Edited by Pugugly on 13/10/2009 at 16:40

Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - Peter D
How did you trace his insurance company and did he take your details. Did you report the accident to the BiB. Regards Peter
I also took his insurance company name at the scene. I gave this with the reg number, driver's name and phone number to my insurers who contacted his insurers. I did not inform police. Did not think it was necessary as there were no injuries, just minor damage to my car. I though that I'd only need to contact police with his reg number if it turned out he'd given me duff information.

My mistake was in assuming from the guy's profuse apology that he did not see me, that he would do the right thing. Idiot. Me, that is. As well as him.
Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - jbif
now they have stated that the other driver's insurers have 90 days >>

no idea why 90 days or where it comes from.
even after 90 days they only have to respond if my insurers have incurred a financial loss, i.e. we've gone ahead with the repair >>

seems entirely reasonable.
So let me get this right. If I go ahead and repair, my insurance company pay. >>

Yes
If they then insist on a statement from the other driver, he may well deny liability. >>

Yes

>>In which case, I'll lose my no claims history and it'll cost me a packet come renewal. >>
Yes, if you and/or your insurance company do not sue the 3rd party (i.e. driver/insurer.)
Or I cough for the repairs myself. Can this be right? >>

Yes
Can the other driver refuse to respond to a enquiry regarding liability? >>

He may do so, but you have this protection:
The European Communities (Rights against Insurers) Regulations 2002
www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023061.htm
"....
the entitled party may, without prejudice to his right to issue proceedings against the insured person, issue proceedings against the insurer which issued the policy of insurance relating to the insured vehicle, and that insurer shall be directly liable to the entitled party to the extent that he is liable to the insured person. .... "

"These Regulations, giving effect to Article 3 of the Fourth Motor Insurance Directive, confer on residents of the 15 Member States a new right to issue proceedings against the insurer of the person responsible for an accident in the UK."

You can therefore write to the third party's Ins Co. lodging your claim and giving them 14 days to respond prior to taking your claim to the Small Claims Court. Make it clear that you hold the Ins Co responsible, as per your rights under the above Regs.

Ooo. Thanks, jbif. That's very helpful.
Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - Altea Ego
well, it goes like this

1 You drive around with a damaged car, make no claim for repair.
a Keep no claims bonus
b Premium goes up because you have reported an incident.

2 You get the car repaired and make a claim.
a: Other driver claims you hit him and you loose no claims bonus AND have increased premium because you have reported an accident.
b: Other Driver denies he was involved, you loose no claims bonus AND have increased premium because you have reported an incident
c: Other driver admits liability, you keep no claims bonus AND have increased premium because you have reported an incident.

Bet you 2A comes into play
I suspect you're right. I imagine I'm going to be out of pocket whatever happens, goes with the territory. If it were me in the pick-up, I would own up, but I'm afraid I'm in a tiny minority.

But what I'm asking is this. Can he refuse to provide a statement of liability (either admission/denial) until such time as my insurers have paid out for a repair?
Can he refuse to provide a statement of liability (either admission/denial) until such time as my insurers have paid out for a repair? >>

If it was an incident I was involved in, this is what I should do:
1. inform my insurer of the circumstances, making it clear I was telling them for information purposes only and not yet making a claim off my own policy.
2. Write (send by special delivery) to the 3rd party's insurer that you hold them liable for the damage to your car (quoting the above EU regs.), and tell them that you will proceed with the repairs within 14 days and submit a bill to them in due course.
3. That should entail an official response, either admitting fault, denying it, or a holding position.
4. Depending on the reply or lack of one at 3, you then decide on how you want to take it further. Repair yourself & claim at court, or make a claim on your comp policy and claim at court for your excess plus future hike [*] in premiums plus other costs.

[*] see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=77...2
Ta, jbif. I have done 1) already.

Time for number 2) I guess. Ho hum. The hoops one has to jump through because of other people's dishonesty.

EDIT: one other thing, jbif. Should I get an estimate for repair at this stage and provide this to the other insurer in your step 2?

Edited by Alanovich on 13/10/2009 at 17:26

So he did not ask for your insurance details, this supports your claim that he was apologetic. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I carry a dictaphone and diposable camera in the car all the time, even abroad. You should have reported the accident to police and obtained an incident number. I am surprised your insurance company did not ask you for one. Hopefully this will all resolve itself. Regards Peter
That's a very good point Peter. Thank you. He did not ask for my details.

I do wish I had a police incident number now. Is it too late to get one?

As for photographs, as soon as he'd hit me, he drove off again, turned right and parked up on the other side of the road before I'd got out of my car. He walked back to talk me. So photos would have proven nothing, I'm afraid.

I have his phone number, so I could call him politely (dialing whatever it is so that he can't see my number) and try to record the call.
You should have reported the accident to police and obtained an incident number. >>

Why? The driver stopped and gave all details he was asked for. He complied with his obligations. Not a Police matter.

A photo would have at least placed your car WRT the road and furniture. You are supposed to report the accident as soon as posible but within 24 hrs. You could try but they may say it is no longer their problem as it up to the insurance to sort it. Regards Peter
... You are supposed to report the accident ... >>.

but that is ONLY if it meets certain criteria for reporting!

Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - Altea Ego
So he did not ask for your insurance details this supports your claim that he
was apologetic.

Nope sorry - means nothing of the sort. of no value at all.

>>Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I carry a dictaphone

No-one will talk to your dictaphone
and diposable camera

In this case to record the accident had happened. I could use it to prove your client ran into me. However it removes the "I wasnt there" argument,
in the car all the time even abroad. You should have reported the accident to
police and obtained an incident number.

They wont its a non injury accident
I am surprised your insurance company did not ask
you for one.

They only ask if its an injury only accident OR there is a prosecution likely,

Edited by Altea Ego on 13/10/2009 at 17:42

Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - NorfolkDriver
Alan,

Go on, make my day, tell me it was in the Windsor area.

I had exactly the same thing a few months ago, apologetic after driving away from the scene until I stopped him. He is now saying he was stood still and I drove into him.

Had our repairs done last week as the insurance couldnt chase him until they had a loss (!), more like our loss.

What is it with numptys and works pick ups?

Go on make my day tell me it was in the Windsor area.

Reading. Not a million miles away.
Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - teabelly
You have his insurance details. The easiest solution was to claim straight off his insurance without involving your insurance company but just telling them for reference about the incident. No risk to no claims and no need to pay for repairs yourself. Unfortunately you have involved them which will just complicate things. With no witnesses it is his word against yours unless you can find someone that can prove your version of events from the damage to your car but in view of the amount of time that has lapsed between the incident and now it is more difficult to prove that it was that particular incident that caused the damage.

Did you not have time to sound your horn??
Unfortunately you have involved them which will just complicate things. ... but just telling them for reference about the incident >>

As I read it, it seems Alanovich has told his insurers "for information only" - see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=79243&...e
.. now it is more difficult to prove that it was that particular incident that caused the damage. >>

I think we may be jumping the gun a bit here. The 3rd party (including the insurer) has not yet responded, and has therefore neither denied nor accepted liability. I think OP should wait for a response.

I think we may be jumping the gun a bit here. The 3rd party (including
the insurer) has not yet responded and has therefore neither denied nor accepted liability. I
think OP should wait for a response.

It's a long time to say yes or no. When a TP hit me, MoreThan, his insurance company admitted full liability within days. No fuss, no messing about. I did have photos of the other driver's car and mine which probably helped.

I assume the TP is just keeping stum hoping that it will go away.
I assume the TP is just keeping stum hoping that it will go away. >>

It is precisely to avoid that sort of delaying tactics that the EU regs deal with. The 3rd party is for all purposes here one and the same as the Insurer. The driver can ignore his Insurer, but the Insurer cannot ignore you claiming and suing from them directly. If their driver fails to give a statement, it is their problem. At the moment, they are asking for time (too long IMO) to get a response from the driver.

Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - ifithelps
Is there any way of finding the name of the other driver's insurance company if he refuses to give it?

It's just that as more people realise the right way to go about things is to claim against the other driver's insurer, I can see a certain type of other driver refusing to give out the information.

Is the other driver obliged by law to give the name of his insurer, or just his own name and address?

Is there any way of finding the name of the other driver's insurance company if he refuses to give it? >>

Yes, one way is here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=78...0
Is the other driver obliged by law to give the name of his insurer, or just his own name and address? >>

summary here:
www.dft.gov.uk/collisionreporting/reporting.asp

full Act here, see section 170:
www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1988/ukpga_19880052_en_14

note, AFAIK, if there is injury, "produce such a certificate of insurance or security, or other evidence, as is mentioned in section 165(2)(a) of this Act - .. ".

Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - ifithelps
From the authoritative links kindly provided by jbif - above - the other driver is obliged to give his insurance details.

From my amateur reading of the Road Traffic Act, there might be a distinction between an accident in which damage is caused and one in which personal injury is caused.

In any event, it seems the AskMID website will come across with the info for a small fee, so perhaps best to rely on that if things turn ugly at the roadside.

As ever, it's the injured party that is put to all the time, trouble and expense.

Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - Fullchat
Sec 154 Road Traffic Act 1988

Duty to give information as to insurance or security where CLAIM made:

(1) A person against whom a claim is made in respect of any such liability as is required to be covered by a policy of insurance under section 145 of this Act must, on demand by or on behalf of the person making the claim?

(a) state whether or not, in respect of that liability?

(i) he was insured by a policy having effect for the purposes of this Part of this Act or had in force a security having effect for those purposes, or

(ii) he would have been so insured or would have had in force such a security if the insurer or, as the case may be, the giver of the security had not avoided or cancelled the policy or security, and

(b) if he was or would have been so insured, or had or would have had in force such a security?

(i) give such particulars with respect to that policy or security as were specified in any certificate of insurance or security delivered in respect of that policy or security, as the case may be, under section 147 of this Act, or

(ii) where no such certificate was delivered under that section, give the following particulars, that is to say, the registration mark or other identifying particulars of the vehicle concerned, the number or other identifying particulars of the insurance policy issued in respect of the vehicle, the name of the insurer and the period of the insurance cover.

So yes if a claim is to be made against them they are required to provide insurance details.

Cannot force them though, but they could be prosecuted. There is no time limit for providing the requested details but 14 days is deemed to be 'reasonable'.

Section 154 was added due to a loophole in Section 170, which is that there is no requirement to furnish insurance details in a 'non injury' collision.

Edited by Fullchat on 13/10/2009 at 20:17

Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - Galaxy
When I was involved in an accident a couple of years ago I reported it to my insurance company that evening. When I gave them the details of the third party vehicle the first question I asked them was whether the vehicle was insured. They replied that there was insurance and told me the name of the TP's insurers.

So, my advice is, don't bother paying money to askmid.com when you can get the information via your own insurance company for nothing!

My first reaction was to check around me to see if I could move out of the way, by the time I'd done that it was too late to get into reverse, so I did hit the horn. He still hit me. I don't think he knew where the sound was coming from. It all happened in a split second really.
My first reaction was to check around me to see if I could move out of the way .......

SQ

You did everything you could then to avoid it. The other drivers sounds a right dozy beggar!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/10/2009 at 10:52

Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - turbo11
My sister's car was hit by a van. Details were swapped. The other driver then denied any liability. My sister took him to court. Took eighteen months. Her barrister destroyed him in five minutes. The more he lied the deeper in the mire he got.
Just thought I'd update this thread with the latest news.

I wrote to my insurers telling them that I'd be writing to the third party's insurers, as per jbif's advice to mention the European Legislation. I have not yet written directly to the other insurer, however my insurer have contacted mw with the following response which they have now received from the other insurer:

"The third party insurers have agreed to deal with your claim on a ?without prejudice? basis. This means that whilst they are unable to admit liability for the incident, they are unable to dispute the matter further, this could be due to number of reasons, but in most cases it will be down to the other party not having reported the claim, not completing a claim form or there being indemnity issues with their policy. As such they are willing to deal with your claim as per their obligations under the terms of the Road Traffic Act. On this basis we are prepared to waive/reimburse your policy excess and your no claims bonus (NCD) will be unaffected.

Please bear in mind that until such time as reimbursement of our losses has been received from the third party insurers they reserve the right to withdraw this agreement at anytime. Should this be the case, and if liability cannot be agreed in your favour, we can amend the NCD decision, and in such circumstances, we reserve the right to request return of your excess payment."

I suppose that, in English, this means that they other insurer will cough up, and I won't be out of pocket regarding my NCD and excess, although my next premium may be higher as I've reported an accident. However, the other insurer could change their mind and if so my insurer will clobber me. At which stage I'd still be able to take the third party's insurer to court, right?

Seems like it might well work out OK, apart from my premium increasing a wee bit.
Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - Fullchat
Result!

Looks like they have done what they are paid to do.

Can't see why your next premium should be higher providing they recover their costs. Unless the simple fact that you have been involved in an incident makes you more of a risk. I should know better, of course we are talking insurance companies here.
Seems like it might well work out OK, apart from my premium increasing a wee bit. >>

Alanovich: include a figure in your claim, for the premium increase for 5 years, based on data given here
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=77...2
www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=6566

Well the Mazda is in the bodyshop today. It's getting a new bumper and a new internal beam behind it, both parts have been ordered in advance and they have told me I should get the car back within 2 days.

Which is nice.

Except I've been given a Vauxhall Insignia as a courtesy car. A 2.0 CDTi, 6 speed manual hatch with what appears to be a very high spec (to my used-to-poverty-spec-motors eye). It even has DAB on the radio, nice to get Radio 5 in high quality.

Lovely car, very well built and goes like a steam train. I'm really quite taken with it. Loads of power, handles nicely, smashing interior with extremely comfortable driver's seat. All the controls are very easy to use and instinctive and I've found a perfect driving position. Except the handbrake operation. It is a little button on the centre console, much like an electric window button. One needs ones foot on the brake pedal to operate it. Feels a bit weird, is this one of these famous electric handbrakes? If so, I suppose I would get used to it but it feels unnatural to start with. The clutch is quite lively, bite is very sudden and the pedal has a good, solid feel. Perhaps a bit on the heavy side. Gear change is direct, positive and has a real feeling of quality.

The engine delivers the power instantly across the rev band, with only a slight, almost imperceptible lack of power at the very bottom of the range. But in comparison to the 2.0TDi PD in our Touran, this feels far superior. It's also far, far quieter. Much more "petrol like", if you like.

Overall I'm very impressed, and that's from someone who has always been unkeen on Vauxhalls generally. It feels smaller than it is, which is odd, but nice. Seems like a very good design, although reward visibility could be better. The rear window is a bit of a letter box, and a funny shaped one at that. But nice job, GM, I might add it to the shortlist for when the Mazda needs replacing.
Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - Dynamic Dave
Overall I'm very impressed and that's from someone who has always been unkeen on Vauxhalls generally.

As per the advert from the 80's - once driven, forever smitten ;o)
Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - Mike H

I was involved in a similar accident many years ago, and believe me, when someone unexpectedly reverses towards you, it's too easy to freeze for the critical seconds! Luckily, in my case, all that happened was that the spotlights (enormous Cibies, very a la mode in the early 70s!) were pushed into my bonnet of my Mini making a couple of dents. Luckily the guy agreed it was his fault and reimbursed me cash for the damage. Very gentlemanly.
Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - bell boy
> Did you not have time to sound your horn??
>
>>>>>in about 1976 i had just fitted a new wing to my van and was in the petrol station behind a car when he started reversing towards me,i blew and blew the horn (colonel bogie i think) anyway he ran into me,i couldnt reverse as a car was behind me,i got out and called the driver some right names but he made wimpering noises and shook his hands about,he then got a piece of paper and a pen and wrote on it
I AM DEAF
we had a chuckle he filled my tank up for me as compo and it was off to blackpool for a free trip
happy days
tell the young ones that and they dont believe you

(im still waiting for the insurance asseser to come and view my car from its injuries 6 weeks ago,wish i had taken the hire car now as that would have bumped the other insurer up the watsit to come and see me quicker,ive learned my lesson well mind)
Can a driver refuse to give a statement insurers? - L'escargot
Can the other driver refuse to respond to a enquiry regarding liability?

No driver should admit liability. It's the golden rule of all insurers.