Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - Nick C
Hi all,
I've recently noticed a viabration from the steering wheel of my 1994 Granada Scorpio when braking lightly at high speed. (50 to 80) Feels similar to when the wheels are out of balance, but had 4 new tyres fitted, with balancing. First thoughts are that the discs are warped / track rod bushes worn. Could anyone back this up or suggest any alternatives?

Thanks

Nick C
Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - svpworld
Sounds like warped disks or uneven worn pads... does it pull to the side when you brake?

Doesn't pull either way, just wheel wobble from the steering wheel. It doesn't happen if I put the anchors on in anger.
Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - Blue {P}
Yes, I had the same problem in my old Fiesta and it was because of kanckered discs. We didn't change them when really we should have and the brakes did this at high speed, but like yours, would stop vibrating if I stamped on them hard...
Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - Andy22
again yes, same with my 406, garage never said which of the two it was because i needed discs and pads and it totally fixed it.
Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - Dave_TD
Warped discs.
Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - Nick C
Thanks a lot everyone, I'll be checking the discs this weekend.

Nick C
Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - wickedteen
this is very common on the 1992 - 1995 granada, ford have no idea wot is wrong, i have the same prob with mine, its not the breaks in fact it gets worse when the discs and pads r replaced, can any one help, its driving me nuts, all the bushes have been changed aswell as the track control arms, discs pads, tyres, wot more can i do.
Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - Sooty Tailpipes
Suspension bushes which are worn can also cause this oscillation, indeed, i have just cured it with two new control arms on my car, I knew it wasn't the discs as it did it before and after I replaced them.

It was common on larger BMWs some years ago, again control arms.
Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - maru
I was once recommended not to step on the brake after coming to a stop at traffic light, ie 100kph to 0kph. try putting in netral and apply handbrake instead, as pushing down the brake pedal will cause very high heat concetration on the disc where the pads are sitting between. Under extreme and repeated cycle, very likely that disc becoming warped.
Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - David Horn
My S-reg Xsara is exhibiting the same problems. It's still under warranty from the dealer I bought it from (they stick their own warranty on second hand cars) - is this likely to be covered under their warranty (pads obviously won't be, but will the disks?) and if not, how much will it cost to get the disks changed?

The car is now noticably pulling to the left when braking hard at high speeds so I'd like to get this fixed fairly quickly.
Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - RichardW
David,

I doubt the discs will be covered under the warranty. However, the fact that it pulls when braking rings a few alarm bells - it's possible that one of the calipers is sticking which may be why the disc has warped and you get uneven braking. Get it checked out ASAP - we are talking brakes after all!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Steering Wheel Vibration Under Braking - richy
That is why we are told not to keep our foot on the brake pedal during driving lessons...