A worthwhile deal? - MGspannerman
Our youngest daughter is planning to go off travelling once again to visit what is left of the world that she hasn't yet seen - this time it's South America, the South Pacific, New Zealand, Japan and no doubt various other places. She has been driving my mother's old Yaris, which is now somewhat battered and has nearly 100k on the clock. However, in the two years that she has had it (and thoroughly abused it) it has never missed a beat. Her original intention was to park it up in the barn here and then resurrect it upon her return, but just lately she has decided that it is so decrepit that it's not worth the trouble, I tend to agree. But it is eligible for the scrappage scheme so a thought has occurred to me that "she" could buy a new car, we could sell SWMBO?s 6 year old, 50k Yaris and end up with a new car for the boss, even if it is nominally registered in our daughter?s name. Also, there is a Hyundai dealer just a few miles from where we live (I know there are a few Northampton-ites on this forum, it's the one at Stoney Stratford). So I think that for a net outlay of 4-4.5k SWMBO could end up with a brand new 1.4, 5dr i20 complete with the five-year warranty. There is nothing wrong with her Yaris at the moment, but in five years time it will be 11 years old and although we don't need a new car the opportunity to upgrade for such a relatively small sum seems very attractive. All this has come about since we had Sunday lunch with our daughter last weekend and she's off at the end of the month so if we are going to do the deal we need to get on with it.

So I would appreciate any thoughts that you may have on the underlying logic. Together with any suggestions as to better deals that might be available and any comments on the i20 and the relative merits of the 1.2 (cambelt) versus 1.4 (chaincam ? currently preferred). I have read the CBC breakdown as well as checked other well-known motoring sites and it seems to get a generally good press, with some odd comments about the headrests jutting into the back of the neck. Picking up on another thread, it might not be at the leading edge of driving dynamics, but then you don't really need that going to Tesco?s. What we do need is a cheap, economical, safe runabout which can be used for the occasional longer, motorway trip and even the odd run down to the south of France. It is important to be able to get my elderly and somewhat arthritic MiL in and out of the passenger seat, and a dog in a similar state in and out of hatchback.

Your feedback would be very welcome, thank you. MGs
A worthwhile deal? - rip
im sure someone will give their views, in the meantime have you tried posting on the hyundai forums site people who have owned the car may offer some advice.

hyundai-forums.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=95
A worthwhile deal? - stunorthants26
The dealer you speak of is very good - they often have a sheet knocking about with a list of special deals they will do on certain models, usually many thousands off and its worth examining that.
A worthwhile deal? - girlydriver
That's also my local dealer. I would be interested to know - if you go for it - what your buying experience is like. I went and test drove a Getz there a couple of years ago with full intentions of purchasing one as a second car, but the salesman I dealt with didn't bother returning my calls and henceforth lost a sale.

I'd also be interested in knowing whether the Stony dealership or Spirit in Northampton are cheaper/preferred by people for servicing (be it for costs or service etc).

The much abused Almera (I'm not a regular poster but posted on here 5yrs ago when I bought him) is in the frame for a replacement and either the 1.4 chaincam i20 or an i30 is possibly on the cards...
A worthwhile deal? - stunorthants26
Spirit is excellent for customer service but they dont like discounting, so id say buy at Stony ( and persue the deal as they are cheaper ) and service at Spirit. No sense paying extra for a car because you have to be more proactive although ive found that going into a dealer gets a far quicker result anyway.
A worthwhile deal? - carl_a
The 1.2 Kappa engine in the i20, which it shares with the i10 is chain cam not belt, it's a misprint in HJ's car by car breakdown. If you look in the i10 section and the review of the i20 it'll confirm its a chain.

Edited by carl_a on 08/10/2009 at 20:44

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Good to know the dealer is well thought of, but I suspect there is not much room for bargaining with demand exceeding supply at the moment. I will certainly be checking servicing costs, as I live so near then it makes sense to get the car serviced and book stamped there. I dont mind paying a modest premium for the main dealer service, I would save money on metallic paint for example which does nothing for me. Relieved to hear that the 1.2 is chain cam, that could well put it in the frame for us. So a lot will depend on service costs and the opinion of somebody far more important than me! I'll come back with any more news.

MGs
A worthwhile deal? - Happy Blue!
Seems like a good idea.

I rarely drive modern mass produced cars like the Focus, Golf etc but I have been driving a Hyundai i30 this week and have been more than impressed by the quality of build, finish, materials and driving experience.

Recommended
A worthwhile deal? - galileo

I second Espada's views on the i 30, I have done 4500+ miles since I bought mine in June and well pleased with it. The Hyundai website offers substantial discount off an i30, my local dealer's prices were such that an i30 was very little more than an i20.
The i30 is an intriguing thought. I remember seeing one when they first came out and being impressed by the layout, design and kit. I think we may well spend a little time taking a good hard look. I think we will also visit the Toyota dealer as well, according to autotrader our Yaris on a like for like basis over 2.75 years and 25k miles has cost us less than £1500. So a modest premium could be well worth paying for such low depreciation.I fear i am talking myself into spending more money!

MGs
A worthwhile deal? - Happy Blue!
Don't know how relevant this is, but the i30 automatic is advertised in Israel as the most economical automatic car in its class. The one we are renting at the moment was brand new when we picked it up and is more than spritely and appears to have good around town economy.
A worthwhile deal? - Avant
Yes - reading this thread I was going to suggest seeing how a deal on a new Yaris would compare with a Hyundai. If you do, and you need it for the occasional long run, go for the 1.3. Elder daughter (who has many charms and virtues but car sympathy is not one of them) is on her fourth Yaris: all have had a hard life but have been fun to drive and totally reliable. The tall doors are also helpful for your M-i-L.

Delivery has been very quick on each Yaris: Hyundais seem to take rather longer according to people on this forum, or is that just the i10?
A worthwhile deal? - bazza
MG, I am looking for a Yaris for my daughter, around 6 to 7 years old etc, so if you are interested in a private sale, please contact me through the mods. I am in S Wales.
Cheers
Baz
Hi Folks,

Went to have a good look over the weekend and had a test drive in a 1.2 i20. Perfectly acceptable to drive with light steering, clutch and good brakes. The 1.2 is a little gutless but what do you expect, goes and stops very adequately. Looks modern and neat and comes with as many extras you could want. Room for the dog and doors open wide if seats a little low for the MiL. Checked out service costs, alternating between £120 and £250 every 12.5k miles, a little heavy for the bigger service but within acceptable levels. Downside is that the interior is practical but rather cheap, even the showroom car showed some scuffing and marks on the plastics. We did find the headrest problem mentioned on another motoring site. It is remarkably thick and if the seat is in the uprightish position it does catch you in the back of the neck and of course once you notice it then it doesnt go away. Possibly a coachtrimmer could remove the fabric covering, take an inch or two off the face, presumably foam, of the headrest and then refitting. However these are selling like hot cakes and vehicles currently on the boat are being booked up very quickly especially if colour/spec is important.

We did also take a look at the 5dr Yaris TR, pretty much equivalent to the car SWMBO curently has. Very nice indeed with the interior obviously of a nicer standard as it should be for another £2k, and only a 3yr warranty. Also the rear sill is quite high for the dog and getting him in and out can be tedious.

So SWMBO is considering the options and of course she has to be happy with it without undue influence from me as otherwise I will never hear the end of it ( I loved the Yaris, and only agreed to this etc etc) . Bazza, thanks for your enquiry I will contact the mods in due course as and when we edge nearer a decision. Our current Yaris is a good car and only in play due the scrappage scheme, our daughter's is now 10+ years old, 100k on the clock and in a battered and scarred shade of gold - this one not recommended, but still going!

All your helpful inputs and suggestions much appreciated, MGs
Well, we did the deal on the new Yaris. Originally offered at £9500 after scrappage, but a check with Drive the Deal brought the price down by around £700 to within £150 of theirs, with a tankful of petrol negotiated in. No mats though, but i did try! Much to my surprise the new car was ready for delivery in less than a week so we had to rush around a bit to sort out insurance etc but it is now sitting on the drive. SWMBO is very pleased with it, and has not had a problem with the stop/start technology - for economy reasons the engine stops at traffic lights etc and then restarts when you touch the clutch. A bit disconcerting but you soon learn not to even notice it. After the first tank of fuel it indicated 44.6 mpg but i will investigate further in due course. Nice 6 speed box too and a more pleasant feel and finish than the i20.

So we now have my wife's old yaris for sale. An 03/53 1.3 5 door CDX. 47k on the clock and fully fettled and ready to go. Special deal for backroomers so take a look at the classifieds and form an orderly queue! Thanks also to Bazza, an interesting dialogue ensued after my last post.

Cheers MGs