Is it normal to wait so long for a new car? - Quacker1964
Just a couple of things really. Have ordered a 59 plate Note 1.DCi - in the new N-TEC trim - after deciding to upgrade my little Micra. Micra is 03 and purchased as my first car from a car supermarket. So already in stock etc. when I looked.

This time I have to wait 6-8 weeks to get the exact spec - is this normal or a result of cautious building in the recent climate? - apparently the Quashquai N-TEC is up to mid-January!

Anyway, I'm sure this is not so, but just to confirm I do NOT have to take servicing at the local dealer to maintain the warranty do I? so long as the work s done to exact standards and parts by a VAT reg'd garage (or something along those lines). I also did this with the little Micra.

I only purchased local (Sunderland) to use the 20% family discount. Nothing in the rules/paperwork stating the car needs to be serviced or MOT'd there in the future.

Just looking beyond the sale and future running costs.

Steve
Is it normal to wait so long for a new car? - Happy Blue!
The wait will be normal for various reasons: -

Are you buying a car with a factory fitted extra or an unusual colour? That will take longer to arrive. The recession has meant reduced output, factory closures etc - that will mean a slower build. The quashquai is a popular car so they may build it in preference to the Note.

You do not have to have it services at the supplying dealer, but with a three year warranty you would be foolish (in my opinion) not to have it serviced at a Nissan dealer. They will be more likely to accept an out of warranty claim if the car has been serviced in the dealer network. Afterwards (i.e. after three years you can use any old mechanic, but if you have an aftermarket warranty, you may be required to use a VAT registered garage.

Why spend £000s and try to save £10s?
Is it normal to wait so long for a new car? - Optimist
I agree with Espada.

And since OP got a 20% discount on the deal he can probably afford even Nissan main dealer prices.

Is it normal to wait so long for a new car? - Quacker1964
Fair points both - I just needed to know it doesn't have to be the purhasing garage that does the work. I have a friend, albeit more distant, who does Nissan work, but I decided to buy locally. For what it's worth I agree, pointless buying brand new, with a healthy discount then scrimping;-)

In recent years I recall seeing literally hundreds of Nissan's stored around the Nissan plant nr Sunderland - but no more. - sign of the times I guess.

Thanks for the input
Is it normal to wait so long for a new car? - Bill Payer
We just ordered a Honda Jazz and they have some colours and specs available but the one we ideally wanted was 10 weeks away. Ended up getting the engine and colour we wanted but a higher spec so dearer, although the dealer met us some of the way as it helps them meet their Sept target. Should be here in 2 weeks (they allow a week for options being fitted at the PDI centre).

I tentatively looked at helping daughter change her SEAT Ibiza into a new one and was met with much sucking of teeth by the saleswoman about "Ibizas being in short supply".

Apparently if you want a Ford Fiesta that has to be factory ordered it's taking 14 weeks.
Is it normal to wait so long for a new car? - Avant
I thought (from various comments in other threads) you and your daughter wouldn't have another SEAT to save your lives!

There's a reasonably useful 10-car comparison of superminis in this month's What Car: the facts are all there but the comments too brief to be much help. The Yaris is 9th, largely because they say it's 'joyless' to drive, but don't explain in what way. In fact my elder daughter has had three 1.3 Yarises and a fourth is on order - all have been lively and fun to drive, but you do need to go for the 1.3 version. The Mark 2 version was expeensive when it first came out abour 3 years ago, but the price hasn't gone up by much and most of the opposition costs more.

The new Polo comes first in the What Car test, followed by the Fiesta and Clio. The Fiesta is marked down by its high list price - but you usually get bigger discounts on Fords.
Is it normal to wait so long for a new car? - Bill Payer
I thought (from various comments in other threads) you and your daughter wouldn't have >> another SEAT to save your lives!

I was just teasing them! They must have known, as they haven't bothered to call back. Daughter likes the car and it still looks good value. IF we did get another I'd use independant servicing and avoid the dealer.
The Yaris is 9th largely because they say it's 'joyless' to drive

>>
I saw that. You could say the same about Jazz. They just do the job - what's wrong with that?
The new Polo comes first in the What Car test followed by the Fiesta

Polo looks good but you're back in the awful VAG fold. I think Fiesta is her favourite.
Is it normal to wait so long for a new car? - madux
Ask anyone who has ordered a new car this year and it is the same story - they have used up all their stocks and now build them to order.