Nobody wants to sell me a car - J1mbo
Well, after visiting many dealers, none offered me sensible deal and none called back as promised. So, I am now thinking about selling me jamjar privatly and using Drive the Deal to order a car.

A few Qs, would the supplying dealer hold the car once its delivered until I've sold mine?

If it took a while, could I insure both cars whilst I sell my old one?

I need the money I'm getting for my old car to pay for the new one, so ideally I'd either need a bridging loan or pay the dealer when I've sold my old one.

Just trying to get it all straight in my head, I could just keep my current jamjar, I thought the car business was going through hard times!

Cheers all.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - TheOilBurner
As far as your insurance goes, most decent companies will offer to cover both cars for a reasonable time period, usually about two weeks. Or at least they did last time I was in a similar position a couple of years back.

It may be cheaper to arrange a suitably sized overdraft on your current account than get some form of bridging loan (depending on value of your current car). Check the maths carefully...

The alternative is do what I did recently, sell the one car and live without for a week or two! Is there any good friends or family who have a spare/little used car you could borrow for a while?
Nobody wants to sell me a car - rtj70
You will need to pay a deposit for a new car. When it arrives you will have to pay for the remainder. Due to their cash flow they won't hold it and might be unhappy if you do not pay promptly.

Might be better to sell yours first.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - Collos25
Is it because you want an unrealistic price for your own car?
Nobody wants to sell me a car - dieselfitter
Completely agree with OilBurner. Would add that I can recommend DriveTheDeal - bought my Audi through them last January. When I bought our Focus in 2001, the way for a private buyer to get a decent discount was to buy an import from a supersite. That has almost dried up, and I think brokers are the way to go now.

...and I suggest Autotrader to sell your old car, and you'll get a realistic idea of its value just by looking at what else is on there.

Edited by dieselfitter on 18/08/2009 at 13:11

Nobody wants to sell me a car - BobbyG
Would disagree with Autotrader - this just shows the asking price, doesn't tell you what they actually sold for although it does give a slight indication of "ball-park" figures.

What about checking Ebay completed listings?

The OP is having the same dilemma as many buyers do, we all want the best deal, the less cash to have to hand over. However you also have to weigh it up against the hassle factor of selling privately

ie. advertising, costs to advertise, phone calls, tyre kickers, do you allow them to drive your car, wary of dealing with strangers at your house, handling the payment, issue of possibly coming back with problems after purchase with their team of heavies etc etc

OK that is all worse case scenario but worth bearing in mind when you are deciding what way to go.

OP , what kind of car are you trading, what is the difference between part-ex being offered compared to your expectations etc?

Edited by BobbyG on 18/08/2009 at 13:47

Nobody wants to sell me a car - b308
Well after visiting many dealers none offered me sensible deal
I thought the car business was going through hard times!

That doesn't mean that they want to make a loss on any cars they sell! Sounds to me as though you are being a little over optimistic as to what your car is worth and that's why you are not getting the deal you feel you should have... The most common mistatke people make is over-estimating the value of their car, even those "guides" are just that... a guide, not gospel!

Sell privately at the price you want (if you can!) and then use the 'net to check prices and then go and haggle...

(snap, Andy!)

Edited by b308 on 18/08/2009 at 13:07

The deal is (or lack of it!) is they offered well below book price and quoted list price on the new car, I said it needs to be better, they said they will call back. Nothing. So, I've not indicated what I want, I was hoping they would contact me and we can start to haggle. I'm not gonna be silly, I can move on the price but they don't seem to be interested. So rather than chase them, I'll simply look elsewhere. Found uk.zopa.com/ZopaWeb/ which seem to offer flexible short term loans, so might be an option.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - Falkirk Bairn
Octavia VRs Diesels @ motorpoint for £14,800 - might be pre facelift? I do not know how to tell difference from the advert.
dtd want 4 months to factory order!!!
Nobody wants to sell me a car - daveyjp
DTD dont want 4 months. They are merely passing on information they have from the dealers they use.

4 months is about right for any new VAG car, unless you want a 1.4TSi and from other posts you could be waiting a lot longer.

If you want it quick you either buy an ex demo or hope there's something on a dock somewhere waiting for a buyer.

Edited by daveyjp on 18/08/2009 at 14:57

Nobody wants to sell me a car - k9dan
Dealers are still at it, even though sales are down. Bought a Sedona 3 months ago, and rejected it next day, only now had a resolution from dealer which is a new Octavia plus the difference. Looking at web site's it takes Skoda 2 weeks to actually build car from order placed, rolling of the line every 2 minutes 24/7, the rest would be transport to uk, then to dealer, have been quoted 6 to 9 weeks for mine, but it's not a VRS.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - bathtub tom
>>Bought a Sedona 3 months ago, and rejected it next day

Sounds like a story worth repeating here, (or have I missed it?).
What were your reasons for rejection and how did you achieve it?
Nobody wants to sell me a car - k9dan
search in the discussion link under Kia Sedona-Sharp dealer practice for story. Quick version, bought car, found damage, returned next day, dealer refused refund, kept trying to force me into equally damaged exhire sedona's. Found car was also exhire when V5 landed on doormat. So breach of sales contract, on damage, previous owner, and warranty issue, (serviced outwith manufacturer recommendations). Dealer hopeless, just kept trying to force me into anything to shut me up, trading standards worse than hopeless (incompetent). I eventually suggested buying new with scrappage plus some goodwill (somewhat slim) from dealership. If refused then longwinded court case via my legal insurance.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - rtj70
I have ordered two VW's in the past. Delivery time for both was initially about 3 months. The Golf actually came within about 8 weeks. Both were factory orders due to the options chosen, e.g. sunroof and aircon and cruise control on a 1999 Golf GTi. And different colour seats.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - loskie
I had similar poor (in fact NO) response from my local Skoda dealer in Dumfries. Built up a rapport via e mail/phone with David Scott at Progress Skoda, Letchworth 300 odd miles away as they had a couple of nearly new Octavia Scouts I was interested in (this was in June). Visited the showroom when I was working Daan Saarf and was very impressed with the salesman and dealership set up in general. Still a privately owned franchise tucked away on an industrial estate (also in Bedford) Prices were a damned sight cheaper than all others on the Skoda approved web site.
I test drove the Scout at Progress but unfortunately could not get comfy with the seats so bought a V50 instead. Based on my experience I'd buy from Progress if the car was right for me. Communication skills were excellent.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - ifekas
I can second loskie's recommendation of Progress Skoda. Even though Bedford/Letchworth isn't particularly convenient for me, I was really impressed with both the pricing and service from there; it was well worth the travel. Funnily enough, it was also David Scott who handled my purchase.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - mike hannon
It makes you wonder how much local competition sharpens up dealer attitudes. The most helpful Honda dealer I ever encountered was at Letchworth.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - Brian Tryzers
I remember the 'Harlequin' Polo, which had different-coloured body panels; didn't realize VW offered that option inside too. What else have I missed - different size wheels?
}:---)
Sorry - been working on my own all day.
Thanks all for the info. BTH, I think I'll hang on to my motor for a bit longer as it seems far too much hassle. Maybe after all the promotions have ended next year they'll want my business. Thanks again.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - cuthbert
You could try Carfile they took my trade in as part of the deal !!

All dealing are with the a main skoda dealership and remember its the cost to change that matters
Nobody wants to sell me a car - midlifecrisis
I'm seriously thinking about going back to my local Skoda dealer and seeing what deal I can get on a new VRS. It'll be interesting to see what deal they offer.(Got my DtD quote tucked away)

The Motorpoint cars are pre-facelift, non-UK spec.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - Nomag
I just ordered an S-Max through DtD.

It was a no brainer - really wanted a used one (up to year old) but prices were so high and dealers so unwilling to negotiate any further discount from advertised prices (I have no trade in, and was willing to use their finance) I decided to go new.
I've ordered a 2.2 TDCi Titanium Individual with a couple of options. Delivery approx 12 weeks. I'm happy to wait (perhaps it will be longer) as I've paid £20599 - that's £8.5k saved on the list price, with a reasonable 7.9% finance deal thrown in.

I'd contacted dealers both locally and nationally including those recommended on S-Max owners forum - all this goes to show that used prices are holding up and there are obviously buyers out there prepared to pay the high prices.
Nobody wants to sell me a car - Bill Payer
I've paid £20599 - that's £8.5k saved on the list price

I wrote the other day about how expensive New Fiesta seemed, but, in teenage girl stylie: Oh. My. goodness .. £29K for an S-Max!!
I would have guessed the discounted price was the starting point.

A PCP quote would be interesting - what's the GFV at 3yrs, about £7K?

Edited by Webmaster on 20/08/2009 at 01:30

Nobody wants to sell me a car - Martin Devon
>>with a reasonable 7.9% finance deal thrown in.

Reasonable?
Nobody wants to sell me a car - BobbyG
Nomag, appreciate you have got a new build and some options on it but Arnold Clark advertising brand new 59 plate Titanium 2.2 s for £19995 on their website (a claimed saving of £4500 on list?
That is a standard Titanium which can be had from Drive the Deal for 17.5k so Arnold Clark looks expensive. The individual spec is much higher, obviously more expensive.
And yes, 7.9% is reasonable for 3 yrs HP. I could have had it on options over 2yrs for 4.9% but that meant coming up with the GFV in 2yrs, and I plan keeping the car significantly longer than this.
FWIW the GFV for 2yrs options was somewhere around 10k I think.
Obviously I really don't care about the value in 3yrs....that would only be of interest if I was planning on keeping the car for 3 yrs only. I'm shocked myself that I'm spending this much on a new Ford, but it was the car we wanted (there was nothing to match it with 7 seats) and the used deals are just not there despite what you might think - in fact a used example with the spec I have chosen would be on the forecourt for more than I have paid new. I know, because I've looked.
I wish SWMBO would have taken an estate car, then our options would have been wide open, but we are faced with the three car seats issue + grandparents issue soon!
Nobody wants to sell me a car - gordonbennet
I should think by the middle of winter when scrappage is history and we are plunged into the next instalment of the depression, the surviving dealers will be very glad of some business, might even let you have a spare wheel..;)

Just remember who were the helpful and reasonable ones when the time comes.
Indeed.
I'm getting a 17" spare to carry in the boot anyway, especially as I tow a 'van....the lack of it nearly put me off, off to ebay now to see if a nice neat bag is available for such a thing...