Car insurance with foreign driving licence - Astrid
Hi there!
I just accepted a PhD-position in Scotland and am planning to move up within the next month to stay there for at least the next three years. I will definitely need a car and accordingly I checked the car market and figured out that buying a car wouldnt be a problem, but getting cheap car insurance will be.

I have 9 years no claims discount and have no penalties for speeding or driving convictions on my german drivers license, but insurance companies in the UK dont seem to take that into consideration. They just put me on a basic level as if I wouldnt have any driving experience, thus all quotes are terrificly high.

I hope you can help me with some advice!

Thanks a lot, Astrid

Edited by rtj70 on 14/08/2009 at 16:42

Car insurance with foreign driving licence - Alby Back
Hi Astrid - Do you live in or travel to the UK at present ? If you do, try going in to a high street insurance broker. They will want your business and may be a lot more helpful than trying to do it online.
Hi Humph!
Thanks for your help! Unfortunately I am not in the UK at the moment and I would just travel up to the UK to buy the car, drive back, putmy stuff into the car and move to the UK...accordingly it would be nice to get an idea about the insurance before travelling to the UK. Did you have any insurance company on your mind? Maybe I could phone them up....
Car insurance with foreign driving licence - Alby Back
Try "Swinton" they have branches in Scotland. Tel 0800 056 5637 or swinton.co.uk

Don't know if this helps but might be worth a call.

Good luck anyway.
Car insurance with foreign driving licence - gmac
Unfortunately although you will find the same companies in the UK as exist in Germany they will not transfer your no claims. I did the reverse and earlier this year we bought our first German car.

Over ten years no claims in the UK, no points, no accidents in the last five years = 1/2 years no claims in Germany !
I pay 120% of the base premium.

Edited by gmac on 14/08/2009 at 20:54

Car insurance with foreign driving licence - movilogo
Norwich Union [now Aviva], Endsleigh, Budget etc. often consider your non UK driving experience and/or NCD.

Car insurance with foreign driving licence - Pugugly
You can swap your German Licence for an UK one. See below from DVLA website. Driving Licence laws are harmonized so presumably you can swap it back when you go home - or you might like Scotland enough to stay forever !

Residents

If you have a valid community licence, this will allow you to drive in GB for the period set out below.Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British licence.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:

Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence):

* until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period

Lorry, minibus, bus driving licence holders (vocational driving licence):

* until aged 45 or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period
* if you are aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the shorter period
* if you are aged 65 or over for 12 months after becoming resident

In order to continue driving after these periods, you must get a British driving licence
Car insurance with foreign driving licence - Altea Ego
Astrid

If you are in germany who are you insured with?

Try changing your insurer to Allianz in Germany, then move it to Allianz in the UK

Car insurance with foreign driving licence - DinUK
First of all congratulations on getting a position in Scotland.

Your German driving license in classed as a EU license and valid in the UK (at least until you are 70). Most car insurance companies ask "UK or EU license" or have a separate "EU license" on the application form (online as well). You don't really pay much more premium for having a EU license.

Whilst the internet is great, it might not suit your requirements. I doubt that you can carry your discount across. However you might get an introductory discount. I got my first insurance from a walk in broker in the highstreet. If you do that make sure you get an insurance which covers you also for driving to Europe, as quite a few charge extra for this.

Now it is actually very brave to go to the UK and the first thing you have to do is buy a car. Why don't you do what every other student does as well, take your car over from home and insure and tax it at the parents(relatives) place and make sure that the tuv is long enough.

DinUK
Moved over to do a PhD and still here ...
Hi there..
....and thanks a lot for all the useful tips. I guess I will figure out something now :)!

@DinUK: Well...I would like to bring my car over to the Uk but unfortunately I think it wont survive the trip from Germany to Scotland. Its quite olsdalready and I was thinking bout selling it before I accepted the PhD. And actually I got a few friends studying here in the UK and they got trouble with their german cars staying here...I think its only allowed to keep it up to 6 month in the UK. So all in all I decided to buy a car here and keep it for the next 3 years.
Car insurance with foreign driving licence - RobertyBob
Have you tried the Zurich insurance company?

tinyurl.com/6evu7j

Their web site has the facility to allow for an EU licence held for 6 years plus.

Whether or not it has any effect though... who knows until you try it.

They don't ask where the no claims discount was earned.
Car insurance with foreign driving licence - Car insurance

Car insurance policies bought online provide various additional benefits besides the basic coverage. For instance a person can get coverage for replacement of lost keys and locks. You can also get 24x7 Spot Assistance. Under this the policy holder will get a beginning to end total customer oriented solution in the event of any vehicular emergency, from simple breakdowns to accidents.

Get the best insurance deals and advice.

(LInk deleted - sorry I missed this 6 years ago!()

Edited by Avant on 13/02/2019 at 23:36

Car insurance with foreign driving licence - riaaaa

Could you talk more about the claim process for this particular type of car insurance?

(Link deleted)

Edited by Avant on 13/02/2019 at 23:38