Does paint go 'off'? - ifithelps
I only ask following the purchase of a pot of touch-up for the CC3.

Clearly marked on the carton is a 'use by' date of December, 2009.

The paint won't go off after that, surely?

I don't think it's been stuck on the Ford dealer's shelf for years, either.

Blue de Cina only appears on the CC3 - very exclusive vehicle, you know - and the dealer had to order it in.

Incidentally, it's an 18ml twin pack of paint and lacquer and was only £8 - cheaper than the accessory shop.

Edited by ifithelps on 14/08/2009 at 10:38

Does paint go 'off'? - steveo3002
ive got the original touch up stick for my 89 car..still works fine

id not worry about using it...it will turn to jelly when it starts to go , then you add a dash of thinners to get it runny again
Does paint go 'off'? - BB
The solvent in the paint over time will flash off........for touch up as said above, just add thinners. For a whole respray etc best to get new.
Does paint go 'off'? - Another John H
If you have a _really_ old tin of cellulose based car paint the colours separate out in layers, and it takes an awful lot of agitating to get the desired mix again. Use it too soon and the colour is wrong because the heaviest pigment is still stuck to the bottom of the can.

And, if the top wasn't 100% gas tight, the solvent will have departed and you will have an unusable solid layer in the bottom.

I'm not sure yet what happens with modern water based paints when they mature..
Does paint go 'off'? - bathtub tom
We've just emptied a bottle of sangria SWMBO found lurking.

It had a best before date of early last year.

We're still here!
Does paint go 'off'? - martint123
I've just opened up an eight year old litre tin of red cellulose that was half full and it seems fine. The paintshops won't sell me celly anymore, but no problem with thinners or if I'm painting a tractor or bridge!. but then they won't match Mazda colours ;(
I had to put the tin on a tumbler fora day to get it mixed up though - red must the the worst colour for both fading and solids settling.
Does paint go 'off'? - 1400ted
On the theme ofr Bathtub, I polished off 8 bottles of Circlemaster a month or so ago with a best before date of 2006. Grocer gave them me as he couldn't sell them....too strong !

Lovely..( the beer, not the grocer )

Ted
Does paint go 'off'? - bell boy
paint does go off as said
celly goes to solid
2 pack goes to jelly
water based no idea
as for out of date beer ,i have a local outlet that sells the stuff the supermarkets cant,tonight ive bought a crate of one week out of date guiness for a tenner,
it will be even better tommorrow when its proper cold
lovly
Does paint go 'off'? - Andrew-T
I'm not sure yet what happens with modern water based paints when they mature..

IMHO touch-in sticks will remain solvent-based so that they dry quickly. Water-based paint has to be baked on the production line. Provided you shake the thing adequately before use, and cap it tightly straight away, it should remain usable for years.

Or am I totally wrong?
Does paint go 'off'? - bathtub tom
1400ted

On the theme of Bathtub, I polished off 8 bottles of Circlemaster a month or so ago with a best before date of 2006.

If we go quiet for a week or so, please send floral tributes to:
Does paint go 'off'? - ifithelps
...IMHO touch-in sticks will remain solvent-based so that they dry quickly...

Think that's right, the little pot is marked 'flammable', it smells of solvent and it dries quickly.

I still don't understand why the paint has a 'use by' date of the end of the year.

They'll be not much wrong with it in five years' time, I'll wager.

Does paint go 'off'? - Alby Back
I've got a pot of Ford silver touch up paint that was first used on a Cortina in about 1981. I've had a few silver cars on and off since by pure coincidence really and it has been used on most of those when the colour match has been close enough.. Funnily enough I just used it again today to touch up a chip on my current Mondeo. Hasn't gone off yet.
Does paint go 'off'? - old crocks
I still don't understand why the paint has a 'use by' date of the end
of the year.

I think it is just the same as with tins of baked beans.

Some people will throw it away without thinking, just because it says so, a then provide the manufacturer with more profit by buying more.

And in the unlikely event it does go off then they have a get out.
Does paint go 'off'? - Andrew-T
I think it is just the same as with tins of baked beans.

Not quite. Touch-up paint doesn't go bad in the same way as food, nor pose any threat of food poisoning to anyone who eats it too late. I can't see any reason for a use-by date on t-u paint - tho it may be useful to know roughly when it was bought, 10 years later.
Does paint go 'off'? - veryoldbear
It is not generally a good idea to touch-up scratches on your car with baked beans unless the colour was originally off-orange
Does paint go 'off'? - Old Navy
I touch up my metallic silver car with a few drips of silver mixed with an equal number of drips from the clear laquer brush, (both out of date, but Im not drinking it). Applied with a cocktail stick gives a reasonable finish and a good colour match.