08 1.8 High engine revs on cold start - raffere
On cold start my Mazda 6 1.8TS petrol revs to 1500 and stays there for about two minutes, making driving difficult in that period. Mazda says this is a normal part of "cold start enrichment" and they have checked it a couple of times. But it doesn't feel right and seems dangerous at the high revs because it drives on the clutch during that period.
The problem does not happen in the diesel version of that a friend has. Any idea how I get this independently checked or do you know what they are talking about.
08 1.8 High engine revs on cold start - Cris_on_the_gas
This does sound plausible. Not familar with this engine but no doubt manufactures go for maximum efficiency at normal operating temperature. Might mean that when cold it needs to be over fuelled to stop the engine stalling. In the good old days we had to use a manual choke and stalled at the first junction on a cold morning. If it is only reving to 1500 rpm it dosn't sound to much of a problem
08 1.8 High engine revs on cold start - Galad
No worries. I thought the same when I bought a new Toyota Avenis petrol (2007) which I exchanged for a Mazda 323 Turbo Diesel (2002). The Mazda always ticked over at a constant level, even when cold. Petrol engines have always had automatic chokes which means that revs are higher when cold, not least to cope with air con, ABS, power steering, etc.