01 2.0 Resetting an HDI ECU - cansaintsstayup
Hi fellow HDI fans. I had the engine management light show a few weeks ago with a fast idle symptom. Guessed it would be the accelerator cable position sensor so removed the plug from the unit and cleaned it up, nipped down the road to my local garage who has a diagnostic system. This confirmed my thoughts with error messages relating to intermittent accelerator sensor problems listed in the ECU (sorry didn't note the code nos). The ECU was reset through the diagnostic system and the issue disappeared - all fine and dandy apart from the fee that is.
Today the engine management light was on again, but nothing irregular about the idle speed or anything else come to that - the car runs normally in all respects.
So the question is do I have to pay up to get the code read again with the likelihood that it is the same problem rearing its head again or is there a way to reset the ECU on this motor without the diagnostic box of tricks?
I think I might buy a new position sensor anyway.
Hi fellow HDI fans. I had the engine management light show a few weeks ago with a fast idle symptom. Guessed it would be the accelerator cable position sensor so removed the plug from the unit and cleaned it up, nipped down the road to my local garage who has a diagnostic system. This confirmed my thoughts with error messages relating to intermittent accelerator sensor problems listed in the ECU (sorry didn't note the code nos). The ECU was reset through the diagnostic system and the issue disappeared - all fine and dandy apart from the fee that is. Today the engine management light was on again, but nothing irregular about the idle speed or anything else come to that - the car runs normally in all respects. So the question is do I have to pay up to get the code read again with the likelihood that it is the same problem rearing its head again or is there a way to reset the ECU on this motor without the diagnostic box of tricks? I think I might buy a new position sensor anyway.

Thought the occasional viewer might be interested to know that following my previous problems I have suffered several occasions when the vehicle lacked power and that I purchased an Autel Maxidiag eu702 with additional software to cover peugeots (both EOBD and OBD11) which enables me to reset the ECU - great!

Eventually tracked the actual problem down to a dodgy joint in a wire, which had been replaced at some stage, between the connector on the accelerator cable position sensor and the ECU.

Hope this might be helpful to others who might have experienced similar problems.

Just another piece of useful info for any HDi fans out there - I've realised that the engine always starts up first time since correcting the dodgy connection described previously. It used to frequently refuse to start at the first turn of the key - plenty of spin but no firing. Then after turning off and trying again it would always start - I guess it was like any computer which is turned off incorrectly ie with the throttle sensor giving duff info to the ECU. So the lesson is - if you've got symptoms such as these on your HDi then do check for dodgy wiring from the throttle sensor to the ECU. Happy motoring.