Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - a900ss
Hi guys,

Just bought a secondhand car and the inside smells a bit musty. It's been sitting for a few months so it may be a bit damp inside but I've checked all the interior and it's all dry. Likewise all the metalwork is good and no water is getting in.

Any tips for getting rid of the musty smell?

Thanks

Edited by a900ss on 08/06/2009 at 13:39

Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - Falkirk Bairn
Leave it open and let air in - assuming good weather.

Oust/Neutradol the car then run ac/heating with windows closed/recirculating.

If the above does not work then you need a "plan B"
Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - craig-pd130

this trick works for the pungent smell of sour milk, so it probably works for general smells too.

Put some vinegar in a small bowl and leave it in the passenger footwell overnight. Remove in the morning, then drive with the windows open for a couple of miles.
Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - smokie
When I had my creosote moment in the old Vectra, someone recommended leaving an opened bag of BBQ charcoal in the car.

btw the car ended up being written of because of the smell :-)
Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - Xtype
if its because of damp then use a dehumidifier. I put one in the jag for about 4 hours and collected a pint or so in water. The car had been left standing for about a month before i brought it and using the air con didnt shift the damp smell.
They dont cost much or you could hire one for a few pounds. I also used the opportunity to clean the seats. The dehumidifier dried the car out nicely.
Well worth it.
Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - bintang
Old remedy (I haven't tried it): Put an uncovered box of fresh lawnmower clippings in the carfor a few days..
Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - rtj70
The other tip often quoted is cat litter - unused of course ;-)

Not had to try any of these myself.
Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - smokie
"cat litter - unused of course "

On the other hand, used would mask the musty smell.... :-)
Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - doctorchris
If it has aircon, fit a new cabin filter and run the system for a while.
You can also get sprays to kill the bacteria in aircon systems which can smell awful but I've never used them.
I once bought a Volvo 740 Estate off a fisherman who had spilt a load of maggots in the boot. The cubbyholes in the boot were full of dead flies!
Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - 1400ted
Another old trick, if you have black carpets give them a vac and spray with black cellulose from an aerosol. Makes the car smell brand new.
Once got a custmer's Fiesta in for service/MOT. Gave it a clean out, boot and under back seat was full of rubbish, including food. There was only a fully operational ant's nest in there !

Ted
Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - CGNorwich
I'm afraid it will be with you for the life of the car
Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - grumpyscot
I'm afraid it will be with you for the life of the car

Not necessarily true. Spilt a whole litre of milk in the back of the CRV - smell was nauseating (Can anything be worse than two week old spilt milk in mid summer?). Got in a profesional valeter who sprayed the car with enzimes after shampooing things. Never had the smell back.
Cleaning inside of car - Musty smell - a900ss
Thanks for all your replies. I've got a dehumidifier so I'll set that up today, then I'm going to wash all the interior followed by a liberal spraying of Fabreze.

Thanks