Regional Price Variations - corblimeyguvnar
Hello
What would be the approximate regional variation for price.
For instance a 2003 Peugeot 307 HDI Rapier 53k, FSH advertised at £3500 in Manchester is valued at ? in my locality of Southampton.
Ongoing settlement claim with insurance company forces this question.
Also any tips on dealing with the insurance company would also be most helpful, have had 2 offers highest being £3600 (minus excess) to date, next level is complaint.
According to them having a service every 6k and a very recent cambelt change makes no difference to the valuation. Your views would be appreciated.
Thanks
CBG
Regional Price Variations - bonzodog
Best bet is to get yourself down to the local Peugeot dealer & ask him to look in Glasses Guide for the "retail book" price for the exact model then have him adjust for mileage & options. He will likely be very helpful as he knows you are in the market for a new car when your insurance money comes through (plus it's a good bet you'll take out GAP Insurance as well).

If the price is circa £3,600 then you know your getting a fair deal but don't forget - condition & history doesn't increase the car's value, it's a lack of that decreases it.

Otherwise, armed with the Glasses info, ask the insurance company what they are using to value your write off, if they say Glasses then call them a liar & tell them you're going to complain to the FSA & Finance Ombudsman. Then get the offer in writing & go through their complaints process.

Please note that the price of used cars has risen considerably this year, thus if your car was written off in Nov or Dec 2008, you are only entitled to what the car was valued at the time of loss.

Out of curiosity, what do you think your car is worth & why?
Cheers Mr Dog
Glasses dealer forecourt price is 4.5k, private good con. is 3.9k, is either of them the Retail Book Price? Motor written off on the 20th May, blinkin great bambi in the road!
I reckon its worth about £4-4.5k, now my reckonings do take into account the fact that it has a VFSH and has had a recent cambelt change, plus mine had pearlescent paint and climate control which the vehicles they quoted as comparisons didnt, also they could only find ones in the North of England, nearest being approximately 200 miles away, hence the question regarding regional variations in price.
I'll try and get to a Pug dealer, but I havent got a car at the mo!
Am I being overly optimistic on the price?

Regional Price Variations - bonzodog
Can't say what retail book is as I don't have permenant access to it. Plus I don't know the exact details of your car. You can do a private valuation on Glasses website but I don't know how this compares to their Guide, which the trade use (& insurance companies should!)

good luck
Well after a long wait they have finally offered £4k, which I am going to accept, thanks for the advice, definitley helped with the 'negotiations'

CBG
Oh and just have to add, not entirely unexpected as widely reported about insurance companies, I rang them today about the payment that according to thier last letter would definitely be with me no later than today, unfortunatley they have inadvertently forgotten to send the cheque, but it will definitely be with me in the next week.
Is it me?, am I just being cynical?

Cheers
CBG