Getting Road Legal - Ben 10
When will insurance companies get into the 21st century.

I can buy car tax online or over the phone, almost immediately. Insurance certificate, I have to wait 2-5 days.

Last Monday I bought a car at midday. I phoned a well known insurance company (the high ranking naval officer one) and had the car insured from then. Its now Thursday and no certificate. I cannot tax the thing, so I cannot drive it yet. If the cert. does not arrive tomorrow, and with the BH, Tuesday could be the earliest I can tax and make road legal. Over a week without this vehicle is rediculous.

The DVLA won't accept a fax or e-mail, it has to be the original. So I am reliant on the PO. Today I was told that I could have paid £7.50ish to get it out quicker, which was not mentioned on Monday. But no guarantee of jumping a 2-5 day wait anyway.

How come the police can tie up the Tax, MOT and Insurance at the roadside almost instantly yet the insurance companies and the DVLA can't work out a computer system to show a vehicle has insurance when taken out.
It should be a case of I phone insurance company, they despatch a certificate hard copy, and inform DVLA via computer that the car is insured so that I can take my V10 in to tax on the same day. Not rocket science.

Anyone else find this system frustrating?
Getting Road Legal - zookeeper
dvla only need the policy number and the current mot certificate number to buy road tax online, ive never had a problem with either
Getting Road Legal - Alanovich
If you use swiftcover you can print the certificate instantly (at least within 24 hours), and I found both the Post Office and my local DVLA office accept these.

Also, when we bought a car a couple of weeks back, the dealer did 7 days free cover from Norwich Union, which was again a computer generated and printed certificate which we used at a Post Office that day. Our real certificate from our own insurer didn't turn up till a week later.

There are ways to do it, but it depends on your insurer. Why they can't all just email PDFs these days instantly is beyond me.
Getting Road Legal - Cliff Pope
I've renewed a vehicle licence at a Post Office and they didn't want to see the insurance certificate or the MOT, just the number on the reminder. I was told it's all done by computers now, just like online.
"print the certificate instantly (at least within 24 hours), and I found both the Post Office and my local DVLA office accept these."

Apparently Admiral used to do this. But not anymore. I can't buy the disc online as I need to take the V5 into my local DVLA office to have the taxation class changed. But until I get that blessed cert. I'm in limbo.
Getting Road Legal - Benjurs73
Spood

What's wrong with taxing it on-line? As previously mentioned all you need is your policy number, MOT Cert and V-5 for the reference number.

All done within 10 mins, it's then taxed and all you need to do is wait for the tax to show up....

Alright you may technically be done for not 'displaying' a tax disc, but based on the fact that most RT policing tends to be done via ANPR you'll not 'flag' the system....

I've used this method for years and had no problems having a 5 day old tax disc in my car whilst waiting for the disc to be sent.

Simples (as the meerkat says....)

Benjurs
"I need to take the V5 into my local DVLA office to have the taxation class changed."

Can you do this on line? DVLA says I've got to take in person to local DVLA centre or post off, causing a bigger delay.
Getting Road Legal - captain chaos
dvla only need the policy number and the current mot certificate number to buy road
tax online ive never had a problem with either

I have. Insurance renewal date was within a week or so of the tax commencement date. I was covered and it showed up on Askmid that I was. DVLA didn't want to know. Computer says no. Ended up getting it taxed at the Post Office instead without any problems. Farcical.
Getting Road Legal - bell boy
Any dealer would have taxed this if you had asked spood.
Didn't buy from a dealer BB.
Getting Road Legal - grumpyscot
Getting back to the main point - why can't we print out our own certificate?

I bought travel insurance online, and was immediately able to print out the certificate and the T&Cs.

And since both my travel and car insurance are with the same company, why different processes?
Getting Road Legal - Cliff Pope
Because we are stuck half-way in a stupid intermediate system between full paper and full electronic.

In the old days the bit of paper was the "original" and valuable in itself, like a £5 note. If you lost it, it was gone, no use hoping a photocopy would do.

In the modern age, the bits of paper are either redundant or valueless in themselves. They merely give an indication of something that may or may not be the true position, which is recorded securely and electronically.

What's needed to sort out these "getting legal" problems is a way of buying road tax by the day, for any specified day, the price to include basic insurance. Day stickers could be sold anywhere, like stamps.