1.8 8v (75ps) What are these like??? - vxr53
I bought a 2000 Cabriolet a few weeks ago, it has the above engine. Does anybody have experience of this engine?? Reliability? Longevity??

1.8 8v (75ps) What are these like??? - Lud
My daughter had a Golf C or CL I think, that had a 1.8 engine. Perhaps it put out a bit more than 75 bhp though. I forget whether 75 PS is more or less than that.

It was a five-door that must have been a very good example, because it remained driveable, tractable and refined through all the savage abuse she subjected it to, although it usually looked a lot worse than my car and that is saying something. What it did do in later life was use a bit of oil, although her own refusal to check or remember things like that may have exaggerated the amount it used to occasional observers. She got it not especially cheaply from a dealer. Honourably retired now to the great breaker's yard in the sky.

Don't know about the cabriolet though. Hope you've got a garage or shed to keep it in.
1.8 8v (75ps) What are these like??? - vxr53
No I only live in an aprtment so It has to live outside, but it has been garaged by the previous owner, who owned it from new. I've only had it for 2 weeks and its been in some very heavy rain and no leaks so far! Touch Wood!
1.8 8v (75ps) What are these like??? - rtj70
It is actually a VW Golf Mk III which externally looks like a Mk IV. They never really made a MkIV convertible - I think the interior is basically MkIII Golf too so. Not a bad thing.

I am surprised the engine is only 75PS for 1.8. I had a Vectra B many many years ago with 115PS from a 1.8. Also had a 1.8T Golf MkIV with 150PS (the non turbo was 125PS). In fact I had an Astra 1.4 GLS with 90PS.

Hope you enjoy open top motoring.
1.8 8v (75ps) What are these like??? - Halmer
Slow.
1.8 8v (75ps) What are these like??? - bell boy
they are such a good lump the block rots
keep your eye open for this ,especially the core plugs