07 1.6 Confusion over front disc size - Franco50
I have a 2007 Focus 1.6 Zetec and having been looking to buy front brake discs and pads online. There seems to be two sizes of disc around to confuse matters however - 278mm and 300mm. I have removed a wheel and tried measuring the disc as best I can but it is awkward with the hub in the way. My best estimate was that I have the 278mm size BUT one seller on EBay has disc and pad sets listed as - Focus 2 with 15" alloys (278mm discs) and Focus 2 with 16" alloys (300mm discs). As my car has 16" alloys I am now totally confused and do not know which size to go for. Has anyone on here bought discs for a Mk 2 Zetec 1.6 (with 16" alloys) and if so what disc size is the correct one please??

Edited by Pugugly on 21/03/2009 at 18:21

2007 1.6 Confusion over front disc size - Peter D
Measure the distance form the hub to the outer edge of the disc and double the number then measure the diameter of the hub and add then together. Bingo. Regards Peter
2007 1.6 Confusion over front disc size - Simon
The safest thing to do is to buy them from a local motor factors, that way if their is a problem at least you can take them back and swap them. If you buy them online or off ebay make sure that you are buying some decent quality components and not any old random rubbish.
2007 1.6 Confusion over front disc size - Franco50
A good point. Being an internet geek I tend to make that my first port of call for just about anything these days. The EBay disc and pads are Mintex by the way -

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageNam...5
2007 1.6 Confusion over front disc size - Franco50
Thanks, well that is what I did and by my measurement (as near as dammit) I get 278mm. What I did was measure across one side of the disk (the pad contact area) and I get 60mm (double that = 120mm), then measure across the hub - around 152mm, not exactly accurate as the wheel bearing bit prevents you getting the tape measure flat against the hub face. Total that up and it is a lot close to 278mm than 300mm but, as mentioned, the EBay seller adds to the confusion by stating 16" wheels use the 300mm disc.
2007 1.6 Confusion over front disc size - IKM

Interesting post. Four years later I've come up against the same problem trying to buy front discs online for my 2006 Focus Ghia 1.6 VVTi petrol 115ps with 16" wheels. Eurocarparts offer both the 278mm and 300mm diameter front discs for my car. I measured the disc like you did and got close to 278mm. A bit less actually because the outside edge of the disc was badly corroded. I also noted that there is insufficient clearance between the rim of the disc and the caliper carrier bracket for a 300mm diameter disc. Therefore for my car with a 16" wheel it's definitely the 278mm disc.

Edited by IKM on 16/06/2013 at 20:33

2007 1.6 Confusion over front disc size - mfarrow
Measure the disk circumference with some string then divide by 3.141.

I should think the 300mm disks are for a special, i.e. the ST.
2007 1.6 Confusion over front disc size - Peter D
It is not to do with the pad contact area as there is often a lip at the edge not swept by the pad. 300mm disc would foul the caliper no matter that size the allow. Regards Peter