Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - reddun
I bought a Ford Galaxy TDCi Zetec (07 plate) in December 2008 from a well known car supermarket .

I paid the AA £171 for a comprehensive vehicle inspection, which it passed with flying colours.

The previous owner had serviced after 7 months/15,000 miles and it was on 25,000 miles on the forecourt. I called Ford, gave them the details to check if it was still under manufacturers warranty. They told me it was but that as it was now on 25,000 it needed its second service. I therefore bought the car for £13k and took it for its service at a Ford dealer.

For 2,000 miles it was great.

Then last week after 3 months , the engine started vibrating and rattling badly. The AA towed me to London to a Ford dealership. They called me the next day to say that the car wasn't under warranty after all, because the first service was not done within 12,500 miles, and if the engine problem was due to the oil not being changed back then I would be liable.

I felt sick, but told them to go ahead with the engine inspection. Back came the news that the engine has heavy metal contamination which has damaged the fly wheels and ruined the engine. All this apparently because the oil wasn't changed between 13,500 miles and its service at 15,900 miles. It needs a new engine and turbo, which will cost £5,800.

Ford have said they will contribute nothing.

I'm now a bit stuffed - I simply haven't got the money to fix it. I don't know if Ford/the dealer are duping me - can the lack of oil change on a car 7 months old really be so fatal? Or was there an underlying problem with the engine build quality?

Who is responsible? the car supermarket, The AA inspection team, Ford or me?

Any help gratefully received.

{Supplier of the car generalised as an accusation is being made against them, which falls foul of our no naming/shaming policy}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/03/2009 at 18:58

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Rattle
I am no expert but I have seen from own eyes cars that have done 20k without an oil change and seem fine. I think you need to contact the AA.

I think in this case Ford must have some of the blame but also the car supermarket does, if the engine has broken already they have sold you a car that is not fit for the purpose. Do the AA not offer some kind of insurance as apart of the inspection?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/03/2009 at 18:59

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - mss1tw
Flywheels (Huh?) damaged by the engine oil...that's a new one!
Sorry I meant the bearings. I'm not an engine expert as you can tell!
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - DP
It's the car supermarket's problem. They sold you the car, and your contract is with them.

A car of this age and mileage should last a lot longer than three months.

The Ford aspect is annoying and immoral, but irrelevant.

I suspect you have a good case, but Citizen's Advice would be my next port of call.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/03/2009 at 18:59

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Mr X
So 2,400 miles is the difference between survival and expiry... what a load of old lower ball joints.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Falkirk Bairn
Sale of Goods Act - the car supermarket is liable. Did you buy on Credit /pay a deposit on a Credit Card? Then the Bank is also liable.

Letter to the car supermarket and Bank will set the wheels rolling !

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/03/2009 at 19:00

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - zookeeper

Letter to the car supermarket and Bank will set the wheels rolling !

i hope the wheels being rolled have been greased at the correct intervals?
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - nortones2
Have you seen an inspection report, or has the verdict been delivered by phone? There are one or two oddities like "heavy metal contamination" and the flywheel. Unless they have a lab on tap, it would be hard to get an oil analysis so quickly, if that is what they mean. I think you need an independent report. But, it might be too late. The garage involved may not have kept the evidence.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - andyp
In the past i know that if you had an inspection carried out it shifted liability for any problems that were present at the time of sale or developed shortly afterwards from the seller to whoever carried out the inspection, even if it was a trade sale.
Of course things may be different now with current sale of goods act etc
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - barney100
I'd sue the supermarket forthwith and I am not happy with the AA inspection aspect. If they said the car was ok then they should have checked the paperwork regarding the oil change intervals. Whats the point of paying for an inspection that says a car is fine and then it expires so quickly.
You have put me off Ford completely and the AA inspections seem useless.
Sorry to hear of your problems, seek legal advice and don't be put off.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - jbif
... seek legal advice and don't be put off. >>

Seconded. SOGA aplies regardless of warranty.
If the repair cost is under £5000, use the Small Claims Court.
If you cannot DIY, then either join Which and/or seek paid advice from the lawyers listed by HJ in his FAQ no. 5 [ FAQ tab is at top right].

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Rattle
Has the car suprermarket completly washed their hands of any liabillity?
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Vansboy
Agreed, the seller of the vehicle, is first place to complain to.

& don't forget, you will probably have some FREE legal protection insurance, on your car &/or home insurance policy. They will be able to sort it for you, WITHOUT legal costs to you!!

But, I bet it won't get that far!!

VB
Thanks for the advice everyone.

This evening I contacted the car supermarket - they've asked for the dealer's verdict on the engine to be faxed to them, which I guess is promising. They have their own mechanics so hopefully they'll admit responsibility and undertake the work themselves. That's my only hope really, as the AA inspection report comes with no guarantees - I just took another look.

Ford, by washing their hands of the problem have really put me off ever having anything to do with them again. They're even demanding that I pay £500 for the dealer's inspection of the engine. They say they would have picked up the tab for this if the cause of the engine failure had been anything other than the lack of oil change at 13500 miles. (I find it utterly amazing that the lack of oil change for 2400 miles can kill a modern engine at such a tender age.....).

' (I find it utterly amazing that the lack of oil change for 2400 miles can kill a modern engine at such a tender age.....).'
So do I. The further down the road of technology we get, the shorter the life of some things that used to last for a lot longer. There are 20 year old land rovers running around with a couple of pints of oil in them and many thousands of miles on the clock.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - mikeyb
Lame excuse from Ford. Am considering a Galaxy as a replacement for the famility Sharan, but you have put me off.

Is the TDCi engine the Ford / PSA joint venture one? If so the 2.0 HDi in the C5 has 20K service intervals.........

I wonder if you had bough the car from a Ford dealer the response would have been different?????
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Lygonos
Utter nonsense from Ford about the oil change.

The heavy metal contamination means a bearing(s) has likely failed around the crank - probably the cause of the knocking you heard.

Slightly old oil is simply that - slightly old. It loses a little of the additive pack but at worst this would lead to premature wear many years from now.

I would be more suspicious of oil starvation (cant imagine sludging up to be an issue especially as the previous owner was doing high mileage - ie.usually a hot engine), massive oil dilution if it's a diseasel, or a dodgy bearing/assembly.

CAB time and start writing and keeping copies of ALL correspondence.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - oilrag
Given that the previous owner seemingly neglected the service - I wonder whether he neglected the oil level too and ran it until he had a rattle from the bearings.

How many of us would run an oil change over like that? You would seemingly have to be either witless or have a total disregard for the next owner.
Run low, or out, of oil - topped up and PX`d (quickly) is my guess.

Good luck OP, wishing you well..
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - J Bonington Jagworth
"if it's a diseasel"

Is that a typo or a comment? I shall probably think of them that way from now on! :-)
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Pizza man
galaxy is built by VAG....
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - rtj70
The original Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra were all VAG cars although some of the Ford Galaxies had Ford engines (the petrol ones).

The current Galaxy, and the one referred to in this thread is all Ford.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Avant
Just picking up on a sentence from your initial post:

"I called Ford, gave them the details to check if it was still under manufacturers' warranty. They told me it was."

Did you get that in writing by any chance? If so surely you could challenge Ford and claim that you wouldn't have bought the car if it wasn't under warranty. You could reasonably expect them to have checked the car's service history before answering the question: if the servicing wasn't correct on their computerised records they should have said so.

Also surely the car supermarket must have given you some form of warranty on an 07-registered car?

Edited by Avant on 19/03/2009 at 21:13

Sadly I didn't get the initial assurance on the warranty in writing. I was in the car supermarket when I made the call, and was under pressure from the salesman to pay the deposit or lose the car. I took Ford's verbal assurance on its merit; they said I just needed to bring the car in for a service before 26,000 miles to keep it within warranty - why would I doubt them?

I then took the extra precaution of the AA Inspection, which the salesman was trying to talk me out of as he told me that well known car supermarket do their own 114 point mechanical and safety . When that passed without any mention of engine trouble I assumed I would have a car that would last me 5 years.

The salesman tried to sell me an extended warranty (amongst many other seemingly irrelevant insurance policies) and I rejected it as I believed it was under manufacturers warranty and it would only start at the end of the Ford warranty which was some time away.

I do feel that the car supermarket should explain whether their cars are under manufacturers' warranty or not - they tell you that most of their cars are but they are not responsible for such warranties. They put you under so much pressure to buy their financial products, with senior sales people joining in that my instinct was to reject everything they tried to sell me.

Thanks Falkirk Bairn - I think you're right that the car supermarket, regardless of their claims on warranties, are responsible for selling me a car that works for a reasonable time, under the Sale of Goods Act. That has to be the difference between buying privately and buying through a car supermarket.

Edited by rtj70 on 19/03/2009 at 22:44

'was under pressure from the salesman to pay the deposit or lose the car. "
Thanks for that reminder why I won't entertain the purchase of vehicles from the spivs who still operate in main dealers under the heading of ' salespersons "
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - IanJohnson
Sadly I didn't get the initial assurance on the warranty in writing. I was in
the car supermarket when I made the call and was under pressure from the salesman
to pay the deposit or lose the car. I took Ford's verbal assurance on its
merit; they said I just needed to bring the car in for a service before
26 000 miles to keep it within warranty - why would I doubt them?

Many companies record calls.

May be worth a request for personal information to Ford under the provisions of Data Protection to see whether they did and if they still have it.
"because the first service was not done within 12,500 miles"

I'm probably being hopelessly old-fashioned, but I thought new cars (and engines) were supposed to have an oil and filter change much earlier in their careers to remove all the debris from components bedding in? It used to be about 1000 miles IIRC - the old 'running in' period.

I find it hard to believe that it's suddenly OK to run the first 12000 miles on the first fill of oil. I'm pretty sure my motorbike (the newest vehicle I own) had its first service at 500 miles!

BTW, please don't think I'm unsympathetic - just surprised!

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 19/03/2009 at 22:42

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - MikeTorque
The car supermarket should have picked up the fact the oil hadn't been changed at 12500 miles and communicated this information to the buyer. The conditions of a manufacturers warrantee are very clear and oil and filter changes are a necessary requirement.

The original owner of the car was negligent. You would have to read the details of the contract you signed with the car supermarket to see if they were negligent when selling you the car. Whatever the outcome it's an awful thing that has happened.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - slowdown avenue
i would go with previous owner not checking oil levels, new engines can use a lot of oil, taking people by surprise
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - hxj

I think that you have some real problems with this:

1. You have no case against Ford - you didn't buy the car from them and the previous owner invalidated the warranty. Doesn't matter how much you think that they should help - I simply cannot see how you can force them.

2. Your case against the car supermarket has two problems as well, the AA inspection and the Ford dealer service. Neither picked up the problem and I can see the car supermarket arguing that two independent organisations did not spot the problem therefore it cannot have existed until the parts broke.

3. As for the sue sue sue comments to get full repair bill paid you will need to avoid the small claims court, then costs and fees come into play.

... the AA inspection and the Ford dealer service. Neither picked up the problem ... >>

How are they supposed to pick up a latent problem inside the engine without dismantling it?

re. the service intervals: Does the Ford warranty say "recommended" or "mandatory" when referring to the 12,500 mile service point?

>> ... the AA inspection and the Ford dealer service. Neither picked up the problem
... >>
How are they supposed to pick up a latent problem inside the engine without dismantling
it?

They won't - but the lack of any evidence of a problem and the two independent checks points to a fault arising after sale. That complicates the claim
... but the lack of any evidence of a problem and the two independent checks points to a fault arising after sale. ... >>

An expert witness for the Claimant should soon demolish that false belief in case any non-technical person on the Bench was misled by the Defendant.

And so now the claimant has to instruct and pay an expert witness, and presumably a solicitor to lead/cross the expert witnesses, as presumably the defendant will want to have their say as well

Exactly as I said - this will complicate the case.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - kithmo
IMO the first service is probably the most critical one, for the very reason JBJ mentions above, to remove all the debris from bedding in. Although it is imperitive that the manufacturer's service interval is strictly adhered to, as too early means the engine hasn't bedded in and too late means the engine is running on old oil full of bedding in debris, which is not the same as old oil in an engine that has already been bedded in.
I can't see why people are slagging off Ford in this case as they have no obligation to repair an engine that has obviously been neglected.
The car supermarket are the ones to chase.
I've often seen nearly new Ford ex-rental or fleet cars that have been run to 14k or more for sale in car supermarkets and wonder if they have had their first service. I know from speaking to the service manager at a local Ford dealership that Fords have an over run tolerance of 1k miles or 1 month on servicing but anything after that and they are out of warranty. Based on this I wouldn't buy a nearly new ford over 13 months old or with over 13.5K on it unless it had been serviced before those intervals.

Edited by kith on 19/03/2009 at 23:18

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Number_Cruncher
>>I find it hard to believe that it's suddenly OK to run the first 12000 miles on the first fill of oil

Running in of car engines isn't the gross metal removal, finish machining process that it used to be, mainly owing to imroved machining processes used by engine manufacturers.

I wouldn't dream of allowing an engine which had been machined using the old processes, like most reconditioned engines, to run for this duration.

"improved machining processes"

I'm sure you're right, NC, but am still curious why motorcycle engines (which I should think are made just as carefully) are given an oil change at 1000 miles or less? I know everything else needs checking sooner, but I can't help feeling that car manufacturers get away with this because they can, not because it's good engineering practice.

I wonder if the AA report included the oil level?
I'm sure you're right NC but am still curious why motorcycle engines (which I should
think are made just as carefully) are given an oil change at 1000 miles or
less?

I wonder if this is something to do with motorcycle engines almost always sharing oil between the engine and transmission. A wild guess.
"sharing oil"

Could well be! Are there any cars left that still do that? IIRC, some small Peugeot engines did (as well as the awful Mini/1100 running gear) but I've no up-to-date knowledge. It's a useful space-saver.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Number_Cruncher
>>because they can, not because it's good engineering practice.

You could take the view that because in by far the vast majority of cases there aren't problems, the manufacturers are "getting away with it", and so, in terms of acheiving a good outcome at minimum cost and with minimum use of resources, it is therefore very good engineering practice.

"with minimum use of resources"

Especially if they won't pay to fix it when it fails! :-)
.. the engine is running on old oil full of bedding in debris .. >>

Do the manufacturers' build in a filter bypass which operates during the "bedding in" time?

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - kithmo
Do the manufacturers' build in a filter bypass which operates during the "bedding in" time?

AFAIK oil filtration systems do have a bypass built in that opens when the filter is blocked.
I agree that a few K over on the mileage shouldn't kill the engine so quickly as it did in the OP's case, but I wouldn't have taken the risk of buying the car. I suspect, as others have suggested, that the engine was starved of oil and the damage was done then.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Saltrampen
Kith
Just to confirm that 1k or 1month was told to me by my Ford dealer as well, so seems like this is common practice.
I know this is a different engine, but I once took over a 60,000 mile 2003 Focus mk1 1.8 TDDi from a former employee which had *never* been serviced. It was still on the oil it was filled with at the factory.

I had it serviced immediately, and put another 20,000 miles on it, from that point on following the recommended service schedule. The engine sounded and pulled no different to the religiously serviced 100,000 miler I'd handed back previously. That said, this unit was a rough old thing anyway.

I find it very hard to believe a few thousand miles overrun on a service would do any more than maybe lop a handful of thousand miles off the overall engine life, and find it impossible to believe it would cause outright engine failure at 27,000 miles.

Just a thought though - if Ford insist that the late service caused the problem, and the car was late for the service when you bought it, this could work in your favour under the SOGA, as it suggests the engine was doomed to fail when you bought the car. As I said, I find Ford's assertion very hard to believe, but in the interests of a satisfactory resolution, it might be the way to go.

I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers
DP
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - L'escargot
Looking at it from Ford's point of view, the late first service invalidated the warranty. No ifs, no buts. When you contacted Ford, the person you spoke to may not have been aware that the first service hadn't been carried out on time. But even if he/she had been aware of this, having a Ford employee tell you that the car was still under warranty doesn't alter the fact that the warranty had been invalidated.

Edited by L'escargot on 20/03/2009 at 09:34

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - ifithelps
Doesn't help the OP, but the lesson for those of us lucky to have an 09-reg is:

Get the first service done exactly on time at a main dealer, get and keep the invoice, and if it has one, make sure the service book is stamped.

Would seem best to stick to main dealer servicing throughout the warranty period.

I'm not saying main dealers do a better job, but that service record is your stick with which to beat the manufacturer, if the need arises.

It follows that it makes sense to buy prepaid service plan with your 09-reg if one is on offer.

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - SteVee
It's clearly out of warranty now - so you don't have to use Ford dealers to fix it.
You will almost certainly get better labour rates out of London. I would examine the possibility / availabilty of a second-hand engine from a breaker.
Perhaps a specialist diesel repairer can do the job much cheaper - and give you a better idea of why it failed.
You will need to pay the Ford dealer who has inspected it though.

Good luck in getting it fixed.

Did you check the car over when you collected it ? Was the oil topped up OK ?
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - lesleys dad
Is there any possibility that this vehicle has been mis-fuelled at some time as being a deisel some of the symptoms seem to be similar to the sort of failures often discussed on this site?
I feel for the original poster and agree that he should chase the supplying dealer.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - NARU
Glad I trusted my instincts [with some sane advice on here] when buying:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59262&...e

I think you have to claim against the dealer. Hopefully you have legal expenses insurance on your policy and it covers this sort of claim. Hope it goes well.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - injection doc
Well I'm with ford I'm afraid! someones allowed it to run well over its first service which is the most critical. Many vehicle manufactures now have a built in system that if you go 2k over the service limit only the manufacturer can reset the service reset. this allows the manufacturer to record the fact that it has gone well over its service limit & ,may well void the warranty.
Also some vehicles are now once exceeded 2k over the service period reduce their engine power by 30% to reduce any damage to the engine & log an overdue service !
In the past I have seen many vehicles stretched well over their service limit in a year sometimes by as much as 6-10k over. Poor person that gets it next!
Buyer beware
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - john farrar
Out of interest a few years ago I "inhereted" from a sacked work colleague, a 9 month old 37,000 mile 1.8T A6 Audi that had never been serviced. At the time I thought it'd go bang, but in the end I was so impressed with the car , that some 3years later I bought it from my company at 100,000miles. Needless to say ,it had its oil changed at 37,000 miles and every 10,000 miles thereafter. I got rid of it at 160,000 miles(8 years). It only required new coils (nearly all the VAG coils of that year failed) and a chain tensioner at 90,000 miles. It never used any oil between services and it went really well ,averaging 32mpg.
Perhaps the fact that it had done 1000 miles a week over the first 9 months of it's life saved it.

Ironically I'm a change the oil and filter at every oportunity sort of guy, although following this experience , I'm a bit less paranoid !

I cannot believe that missing a first service by a few thousand miles can be the cause of such engine damage......although if I was Ford I'd probably insist that it was.
Thanks John. That's useful to know that cars can 37,000 miles without an oil change with no problems.

I've only ever owned used German cars before, none under warranty, and I've never had a single problem with an engine or indeed anything else mechanical. That's a Polo, 2 Golfs, a Passat, an Audi 80, an Audi Coupe, a Mercedes 200 Estate - over a total of 19 years of German cars and not a single problem with any of them.

I bought the Ford Galaxy in December as I've now got 3 kids and we needed the space. 3 months in and the engine fails so badly that it needs a new one (all due to the oil not being changed on time, according to Ford - convenient, huh?). My dad did warn me - never buy a Ford, but of course I ignored him, merely taking the precaution of getting a newish one as I believed it was under warranty.

Regardless of whether Ford are entitled to wriggle out of their obligations, there's no way any machine that costs £25,000 new should fall apart after 18 months like this. In that time it's been serviced twice by their own network. If I was Ford I would do my utmost to repair it at no cost to save a massively disgruntled customer telling the world.

I'm also mystified that the AA didn't tell me the car was out of warranty when I paid them to do the comprehensive inspection. When it broke down, I called them to get it towed to the garage, and the operator immediately told me it was not under warranty. If they knew that, why the heck couldn't they put that information on the buyer's inspection report? What information could be more important than that to a buyer?

"the AA didn't tell me the car was out of warranty"

A reasonable question for them, IMO. That and the oil level, although I suspect the level before the first service might have been worth knowing. Does their report come with any sort of guarantee?

Personally, I'm with your Dad, I'm afraid...
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Martin Devon
Personally I'm with your Dad I'm afraid...

OK brilliant. Just what do you buy nowadays then that is going to give you (hopefully) some worry free(ish) motoring?? Go on tell me.

MD
"Go on tell me"

Well, it was meant slightly TIC (should have used a smiley) but I have to admit that I'm not their greatest fan. I'm a subscriber to bangernomics and many Fords would have serious rust by the time I would be interested. Our two Mazdas have a combined age of 35 and have never let us down. My Xedos (when clean and polished) could pass for a five-year old and sometimes gets mistaken for even less, as its registration reads like an 05 plate. My daughter has a Puma that is ten years younger, but is already going rusty, even though it was the best example we could find. Our old Peugeot lasted for 20 years, but I don't see many pre-1990 Fords around.

I know Ford has a stake in Mazda, but Japanese quality control still seems to make a difference.

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - SpamCan61 {P}
I agree with Marlot, you need to take this up with the dealer, I'd forget about the others, particularly Ford, for now. Speculation about how the car got into its present state seems somewhat pointless.
You should have been OK with a Ford. They don't habitually blow up at 27,000 miles. It's not your fault. You made what should have been a logical (and decent) choice for high mileage, reliable motoring. I've owned or maintained dozens of Fords and there's been just one problematic example among them all.

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Alby Back
These things are so subjective. I've driven well over 1.1 million miles so far. Many different cars and brands of cars. Approximately half of those miles were in Fords and not one of those has ever let me down. I swear by them. From Mk 1 Escorts through Cortinas, Sierras, Mondeos and ironically a Galaxy none of them have ever given me any grief.

Conversely, I have had an unreliable Renault, a BMW which broke down several times and a VW Golf which needed a number of repairs. Volvos were all good. A Citroen never faltered but a Rover was a reliability joke. I have had some niggles with Vauxhalls but never been stranded by one.

Overall though, if I were asked to vote for the most consistantly reliable brand of car I have ever had it would without question or shadow of a doubt be Ford.

Coincidence, luck of the draw ? Maybe. Who can say. What I can say is that to make a sweeping statement that all Fords are destined to break down is simply not true. Mine have all been fine and I would happily buy another in a heartbeat if the model suited my needs.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Lygonos
Going by a purely 'most likely scenario' view I would suggest a failure to monitor oil level followed by rapid bearing wear at low oil level.

I do agree that other than a 'goodwill' payment there is no point pursuing Ford.

The fault has arisen within 3 months of purchase and considering the car is not even 2 years old I can't see any way the dealer can realistically get out of this, unless they can show or >50% assert the OP failed to keep the oil level topped up.

£5k is a lot to chalk up to 'experience' so I think advice from CAB/solicitor would be my first port of call.

As has been mentioned, some household insurance policies include legal cover that will assist with such an eventuality - check your policy details, and call them if you are not sure.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Fullchat
This is a potentially very expensive and unfortunate position to be in which you should look at from both sides.

From the Ford point of view they have to balance customer satisfaction and reputation against their costs. They are not going to hand out new engines and the associated costs willy nilly unless they have an obligation to do so or that their reputation would be greatly harmed.
In this instance the vehicle has missed its first scheduled oil change - end of. They quite clearly state that and it is a well known fact that unless a vehicle is serviced within manufacturers guidelines then the warranty can be invalidated. That is their first get out clause which they will be looking to invoke.
The vehicle was purchased from a third party dealer so Ford as a brand have no obligation nor are their dealers making any money from that transaction, nor is it going to damage the dealer/manufacturer reputation to any great extent BECAUSE the vehicle was not serviced in line with their recommendations.
If buying a vehicle from a third party establishment and hoping for manufacturer warranty I would ensure the vehicle was serviced on time and had valid service history. If not I'd walk away because Ford would take advantage of their opt out clause for the above reasons. I might be more flexible, but nevertheless wary if I was buying from a Ford dealer as they have to look after the dealer/manufacturer reputation.
The argument as to whether an engine should be able to stand a late change of oil becomes academic although we all know it should.

Edited by Fullchat on 21/03/2009 at 00:30

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - BlackHawkSplat
If i was looking at a £5000 repair bill i tink i would be tempted to get my self the various tools needed and have a go at fixing the problem myself even if that did mean spreading have the car engine all over my street. Not a noce prospect but ya never know it might work. I do sympathise though ive got a problem with my car and its putting nme off ever owning a car again!
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - welshlad
playing devil advocate here - if you had the vehicle serviced when you brought it and they didnt find metal debris in the oil then isnt it possible that something failed between then and now causing the debris that was found after it broke on you, as people have said the ford warrenty was invalidated so forget about that completely no amount and screaming and shouting will change that.

as for the supermarket garentee does that only says they garentee it at the time of purchase or for any inherent problems if so you need to prove it was, things break its a fact of life and as the roads arent filled with abandoned ford galaxies on a daily basis im saying its not a galaxy problem just a one off problem possibly due to poor care by the previous owner or just happened and would have anyway, personally i would go back to the place you had it serviced and find out if they can remember if there was debris in the old oil that would indicate an inherent failure
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - L'escargot
I'm also mystified that the AA didn't tell me the car was out of warranty
when I paid them to do the comprehensive inspection.

When you say "comprehensive" inspection, what level of inspection did you pay for? The heading on the actual inspection report will give the level name of the report, and the contents will say what has been inspected. The list of terms and conditions will be appended to the report.

I've just checked the pre-purchase AA inspection report for my current car. and it doesn't say anywhere in it that the AA will comment on whether the car has a valid warranty. I've also checked the car inspection section of the AA website and similarly there is no reference to vehicle warranties. www.aacheck.com/aa-about-vi.html I don't suppose that the AA is qualified (or entitled) to comment on the validity of warranties.

In hindsight, the warranty of my current car had technically been invalidated by the fact that the first service had been carried out late. The car was 16 months old and had done 4000 miles when I bought it and I just accepted the selling dealer's word that it had the balance of a 3 years manufacturer's warranty. The first service was carried out, and the Service History Log stamped accordingly, by the selling dealer just before I took delivery. I've made 3 claims for repairs under the warranty at another dealer and fortunately the validity of the warranty wasn't questioned. I'll certainly think about the validity of the warranty on any future used cars that I buy.
Here's an update, with a happy ending.

I sent the car supermarket an email, stating my rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. I did this following a format given to me by Consumer Direct. The aftersales department called straight back and were very friendly and easy to deal with. They picked up the car from the Ford dealer this week and have taken apart the engine. The bearings had indeed gone, but they think the engine can be rebuilt rather than needing to be replaced. As they have their own workshops they will do this next week. All at their expense. They have even offered me a free courtesy car while the work is being done.

So that hopefully is that. If I had bought the car privately I would have had no rights, but under the Sale of Goods Act I was protected against faulty goods. The same goes for the reconditioned engine.

Thanks everyone for their advice. I still won't buy a Ford again, and I'll double check the warranty before buying used.

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Mapmaker
>>I still won't buy a Ford again

I think you are being unfair. They have their terms of their warranty, and you are outside it.

Unfortunate but true.

Are you allowed to name and praise the car supermarket now?
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Vansboy
Sounds sort of OK, so far.

BUT... what about the balance of waranty you thought you had, on the rest of the vehicle?

Is the car supermarket going to make good, any future claims, which, it would appear, Ford won't?

Or are you now having to consider an aftermarket, policy, to help protect you. At your cost?

VB
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - J500ANT
As this "well known car supermarket" has acted very fairly and dealt with the matter, maybe they should be named and praised for not also trying to worm their way out of a sticky situation?
Not my choice to keep the car supermarket anonymous - I'm allowed to mention the Ford brand, even the dealer's name, but not the car supermarket. I was initially ridiculed for my incompetent etiquette by another poster - since removed - for mentioning their name, which I believe is important to this story. I'm just trying to be honest, John.

Anyhow, like all car dealers, this VERY LARGE car supermarket have an ongoing statutory duty, under the Sale of Goods Act, to sell cars of acceptable quality. Allowing for wear and tear, they can be held responsible for mechanical defects for up to 6 years, regardless of the manufacturer's warranty. Thankfully, in my case, they appear to be honouring their duty.

And, if bought under credit - even if the deposit was paid on credit card, the credit provider is equally liable so can be sued if the dealer won't remedy. Amazing.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - galaxygrief
Hi reddun

I need your advice

I too have a Galaxy 1.8 ghia on a 56 plate. its not even 3 yrs old yet and even though it has FSH and has been looked after "Impeccably" with no expense spare i too have TOTAL ENGINE FAILURE.

This car was 30k new and i too bought it from a LARGE supermarket with then 37k on the clock (oct 2007)

The car now has 92k on it and has had plenty spent on its upkeep including £960 spent on it 2 weeks ago. I had a new clutch, dual mass fly wheel, cam belt and another service.

I broke down by the side of th motorway last week and had to be dropped at a garage. I am now told that the "con rod" had broken and smashed a hole in the engine - GAME OVER.

Again, like your initial posts i am gob smacked that this should happen as it should last the life of the engine. The handbook for service goes up to 175k miles so this is a little early.

I was goint to call Ford to complain and go through the usual motions of being fobbed off a few times before something is done, but now ??????

i wonder of £30k's worth of BMW engine would go pop so early on??????

What did you do to get this resolved. any assistance would be greatfully received before i raise the flag at Ford to say its dead.

How long did your saga go on for?. i still have 3 years loan to pay for something that is at this point "scrap"

thanks in advance

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Blue {P}
Actually yes, £30K BMW engines go pop as well, as do Merc, Toyota, Vauxhall etc. It sounds like an awful thing to happen to such an expensive and young car, but realistically, freak failures can happen to any marque at any time and statistically, they don't happen to Fords very often!

Also, the Galaxy is mainly VW bits and bobs with a Ford badge on, when I worked in a Ford dealer it was immediately apparent when getting in a Galaxy that almost all of the parts were from the VAG parts bin, they just didn't share the same design as the rest of the Ford range.

Unfortunately as far as my advice goes it's not good. I think you may, if you are lucky, be able to get some goodwill from Ford if it was serviced at a main dealer. Unfortunately you are no longer covered by SOGA or the original warranty which IIRC was for 60,000 miles.

Probs best trying to find another engine from a breakers and getting it fitted independently.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - barney100
Get the Citizens advice bereau to arrange a solicitors appointment. A solicitors letter to a business sets the cat among the pigeons at the supplying dealers. The AA to me bear some reponsibility in this as they told you the car was ok, Ford seem to be denying any liability and are no help at all, so much for all this get a Ford and have cheap motoring...............

Edited by Webmaster on 06/10/2009 at 03:03

Barney - The OP got this all sorted in March, the car supermarket fixed it for him! :-)
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - ifithelps
Blue,

Looks like we have two galactic failures.

Poster reddun has his fixed.

Poster galaxygrief has a thrown con rod, by the sound of it.

Since his car has done 92,000 miles, I think he might struggle to get any goodwill from Ford.

Mixing Ford and VAG bits in these cars was never an unqualified success, was it?

Edited by ifithelps on 04/10/2009 at 17:28

I dunno, I always quite liked the old Galaxy, and apart from the radio and few other little bits and bobs (like the badge on the bonnet) it's almost entirely VAG. :-)
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - Avant
One would love to be more helpful, Galaxygrief, but I can't see much hope here.

It's out of the Ford warranty because of the high mileage, and it's 2 years and 55,000 miles since you bought it from the supermarket. It may have had a hard life in trhe hands of the first owner, who seems to have been driving it for much of the year!
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - dieseldogg
206,000 1998 Galaxy with the TDI engine
Absolute cracker
Origional head gasket etc etc
Serviced by Ford for first year then by myself with tractor oil( Case No 1 )
Worked the nuts off her on Annual hols engine oil at 125 deg
flogging up a motorway at 80 with a trailer & roof box etc etc
towed 3500 kg trailers
But I am an anorak about checking engine oil levels
ie pulling the dip stick
PS
Re the warrenty
just because the veh is inside the time period does NOt mean that the warrenty has NOT been invalidated, but lack of specified maint
I had this out with Agnews over a Vento I purchased from them a No of years ago
Missed first service, by sig miles, service book not at hand etc etc
But Ex VAG veh , no problems etc etc
But absolutly no mechanical problems as a result
BUT I still suspect they would have washed their hands of me if the engine had failed
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - cheddar
>>Looks like we have two galactic failures.>>

The first one is a later Galaxy, Ford/PSA motor, I wonder it it may have run low on oil, anyone who misses a service may not be too diligent over regular checks hence why manufacturers dont like to honour warranties when service intervals arte exceeded.

The second one, 56 plate, is that a Galaranbraha or again a later Galaxy, it says 1.8, is the 1.8 TDCi available in the Galaxy? Either way 92k miles is rather well over the warrantied 60k.

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - jc2
Be reminded that when buying this type of vehicle secondhand,IF it has been used commercially(taxi/private hire etc)by the first owner,then the Ford guarantee is for one year only.Not just Ford but most manufacturers apply similar.
Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - cheddar
The other point I meant to mention is that I would not have been happy with "a well known car supermarket"'s techs rebuilding the engine, I would expect a new engine in a nearly new 25k miles car under the "well known car supermarket"'s warranty if not Ford's.

However I would also be concerned that the balance of the manufacturers warranty and corrosion warranty would be invalid so would have returned the vehicle for a refund.

Total engine failure after 27k, Ford won't pay - davecuk
After reading all this I will certainly never buy another Ford car again and thinking about it all the ford card I have owned have had quite expensive problems many within the Warranty period and some just outside....TBH I don't know why I kept buying them?