1999 1.8 Valve clearance adjustment necessary ? - jp147
I rang up a local Ford dealer to ask them if it really is necessary to check/adjust the valve clearances on the zetec petrol engine and they said it was not imperative unless the engine had other problems. In the Ford service guide it says check/adjust every 100 000miles or 10 years whichever occurs first. In the Hayne's manual it says every 100 000miles but doesn't mention any time interval. What would you do ?
1999 1.8 Valve clearance adjustment necessary ? - elekie&a/c doctor
If it is running ok,leave them alone.More important to use the correct oil.If it ain't broke don't fix it.hth
1999 1.8 Valve clearance adjustment necessary ? - mfarrow
You might as well check them for peace of mind.

The shims will be a couple of quid from Ford.
1999 1.8 Valve clearances question? - jp147
I have a 1999 Ford Focus 1.8 (Petrol) which has done 79k miles. In the Ford handbook it says that the valve clearances should be checked/adjusted every 100 000 miles or 10 years whichever occurs first. In the Hayne's book for this model it says only that it should be checked/adjusted every 100 000 miles but doesn't mention anything about 10 years so I am wondering whether I should wait until 100k before having this done. The Ford dealer said that it would cost about £130 just to check them and even more if they have to remove the camshaft(s).

Would serious damage e.g. needing new camshafts, be done if I waited until 100k ??
1999 1.8 Valve clearances question? - DP
> Would serious damage......

Very, very unlikely.

It is very unlikely they will need touching even after 100k. My diesel Mondeo mk2s were still within tolerance at 130,000 miles and hadn't been adjusted since new. I've checked clearances on lots of modern engines around the 100k mark, and not one has ever needed adjusting.

Over-loose clearances will cause audible ticking / clatter from the top of the engine, perhaps worse with a cold engine. Over-tight clearances will tend to cause problems with idle quality and starting when the engine is hot as a first symptom.

Of course, other factors can cause these problems too, but the golden rule really is if the engine runs OK and sounds OK, the clearances are almost certainly OK.

Cheers
DP
1999 1.8 Valve clearances question? - Woodspeed
If it worries you that much, get it checked and spend £130. Maybe the dealer can diagnose the stain on your cover that you recently asked about, whether it is rain or oil