Windscreen Washer Dilutant - scouseford
I bought a bottle of windscreen washer dilutant recently and was intrigued to see that one of its features as advertised on the label was 'Citrus Scented'. I thought nothing about it but now that I have started to use it there is a definite (and quite pleasant) lemon aroma that permeates the interior of the car after each squirt of the windscreen washer. Could somebody please explain to me how the aroma of a scented jet of water directed onto the exterior surface of the windscreen gets itself into the cabin?

{made non make/model specific as could apply to any car, not just a Mondeo}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/03/2009 at 20:19

Windscreen Washer Dilutant - rtj70
Through the air vents perhaps? They take their air supply from the outside of the car near the windscreen usually don't they.

To avoid the whiff of screen wash in VWs, they close the airvents when the windscreen washer is working.
Windscreen Washer Dilutant - J Bonington Jagworth
"they close the airvents when the windscreen washer is working"

Good grief. Do they close the windows when it rains, too..? :-)
Windscreen Washer Dilutant - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I'm guessing that the fresh air intake for the ventilation system is somewhere at the base of the windscreen. It is on my Hyundai and old VW.
Windscreen Washer Dilutant - doctorchris
Personally, I worry about the shot of alcohol that I get from my winter screenwash.
Will it put me over the limit?
Windscreen Washer Dilutant - rtj70
If you drink it then probably ;-)

I hear some people visiting hospitals have been putting the alcohol based hand wash gel in soft drinks too.
Windscreen Washer Dilutant - stan10
One i used to use (halfords?) smelt strongly of apples - not unpleasant, but i also wondered how it got so strongly into the cabin, and assumed that the fresh air vents must be at the bottom of the screen.

Maybe we could outdo crisp makers here folks - salt and vinegar anyone ! ?
Windscreen Washer Dilutant - bathtub tom
How about 'Gunk on a hot engine' and 'Castrol R'.
Windscreen Washer Dilutant - doctorchris
If you've ever driven off-road you will know that you can't beat "mud on a hot exhaust".
Windscreen Washer Dilutant - Hamsafar
"To avoid the whiff of screen wash in VWs, they close the airvents when the windscreen washer is working."
Clever, It's a shame they then let it and rain pour in through the pollen filter housing, idiots!
Windscreen Washer Dilutant - turbo11
"To avoid the whiff of screen wash in VWs, they close the airvents when the windscreen washer is working." strange that VAG sell scented screen wash then.
Windscreen Washer Dilutant - Another John H
?

I find the best, and cheapest, "windscreen washer dilutant" comes straight out of the cold tap.

It must be said though that it is the lovely soft stuff from the "Elan Valley".

I use it to dilute LIDl's screen wash.