Car details not adding up - meltonlad
im thinking of buying a toyota but the details on the advert say its a 1.8 gs but on the insurance web site it says its a 2.0 gls and also on two car data check sites the reg number is not on there data base. do you think that if i rang my insurnce company they would be able to tell me if it been a write off. dvla site says it ran out of tax 1 yr ago.

Edited by Pugugly on 04/03/2009 at 23:06

car details not adding up - Rattle
Just walk away the insurance get their details from the DVLA anyway. The engine could just be a mixup by the seller, the V5 will confirm the engine size.

Eitherway there is too much you are insure about, its not worth it.
car details not adding up - meltonlad
ive not seen the car yet im going to look at it tomorrow. i think i may go and look at it but i will get a copy of the v5 and ring dvla. and i may ring the last owner. i would have thought that once a car is classed as a write off the detail would be removed from the insurance data base.
car details not adding up - Armitage Shanks {p}
You say that it is not in the insurance database and suggest that, if it isn't, it might be a write off. On that basis, is this a car you would want to put your money on/in?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 04/03/2009 at 19:33

car details not adding up - SpamCan61 {P}
Dumping the Vectra then?
Dumping the Vectra then?

no im keeping the vectra this is a car for her in doors.... but saying that if i get a good offer for the vectra then i may sell it. it must be worth at least £4,99 LOL
car details not adding up - SpamCan61 {P}
I checked my lovely green Vectra on the Vauxhall / Glass's 'value my car' part of the Vx website, they reckon 180 quid trade in value:-)). Not sure whether that's with or without a full tank of petrol.
You say that it is not in the insurance database

its on the insurance data base but its not on some car data check sites. ive just tried 5 car data check sites and only 2 of them show it as a 2.0L gls but others say no details found.
car details not adding up - retgwte
one of my old cars was a 1.6

however the insurance database showed it as a 1.4

registration document and everything else was correct

but was always hassle when trying to change insurance company

seems to me insurance database is not worth worrying about

what does dvla tax check web site say?
Date of Liability 01 05 2007
Date of First Registration 01 08 1998
Year of Manufacture 1998
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1998CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval null
This vehicle can be licensed at a DVLA Local Office without the V5C Registration Certificate
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £101.75
12 Months Rate £185.00

but the bloke selling it says its a 1.8. think i might have to do some more digging once ive seen it.
car details not adding up - bathtub tom
Year of manufacture and capacity identical?

More like a cock-up I'd say.
car details not adding up - Blue {P}
What would be wrong with doing a proper car data check with an HPi type site? I'm sure that there are some that will give the details via SMS for about £4.99?

car details not adding up - jbif
meltonlad:

There are two cars with the identical number plate "S---JDG" on sale at two dealers. The photo used is the same car at both dealers and the price on the windscreen on both is £1995. I think that one or both dealers advert is showing the wrong photo :

This one has a Poole 01202 phone code area and give full details of dealer, and the car details seem to agree with the DVLA data:
1998 S Reg TOYOTA Avensis 2.0 GLS H--------- Cars 5 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Hatchback, Petrol, 108,200 miles, White, 2 Owners. This car will come with a new MOT and service, PLG road tax of £185 a year, Remote locking, Power steering, Electric windows .... £1750

and
This one has a Leeds 01332 phone code area and gives just an email address and phone number:
1998 TOYOTA AVENSIS 1.8 GS 5dr Liftback Full Service History, Mot History, 12 month Mot,3 keys, well maintained with regular service, just been serviced, sounds and drives like a new car! long MOT, Anti-lock brakes, Alarm, Electric Sunroof, ... £795

Edited by jbif on 04/03/2009 at 23:38

.. This one has a Leeds 01332 phone code area and gives just an email address and phone number ... >>

Just googled that Leeds number and found a number of cars for sale by that trader. The google cache for the links that come up shows that the trader is using the same photo for most, if not all, of his adverts.

Also having looked at the Poole trader, the Toyota and other cars for sale there are seemingly photographed on their own premises; therefore it is likely that the Poole car photo and details are the correct ones.
how the hell do you know what the number plate was ??? i have never said it on there.....
car details not adding up - bathtub tom
Ooooooh. Spooky! ;>)
car details not adding up - Mapmaker
>>Spooky...

Because there are only 6 white Avensises under 2k in the country on Autotrader.
there are only 6 white Avensises under 2k

Spooky or what.
He never said "Avensis" nor "under 2k" !

... Ooooooh. Spooky! ;>)

Now figure out whether it is MI6 or MI5 or a foreign one.

car details not adding up - martint123
Could have been on a private plate previously?>

Edited by martint123 on 05/03/2009 at 10:45

Could have been on a private plate previously?>

No, read my post from last night. The car advertised as a 1.8 in Leeds is "using" photos from another genuine 2.0 gls advert from a bona-fide dealer in Poole.
That same seller in Leeds is "using" the Avensis photo with the number plate "S---JDG" to sell a Peugeot!

Edited by jbif on 05/03/2009 at 10:50

car details not adding up - Cultural Attache
Sorry to be pedantic but Leeds is 0113. Doesn't get away from the fact though that there is something dodgy or a quite innocent error going on here.
just been to look at car in leeds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well advert says just serviced yer rite 42k ago.... the guy has done so much diy to it and not cleaned it all off.. the inside of it is very poor stains/rips. and the pic looks very nice but it aint of the car.... the car on the pic is a S reg and the one in leeds is a R reg. and the bloke says he deals in car sales but the place i went to was i run down house. how can people get away with trying to sell a car but use somebody elses pics.... this car is perfect condition only if you is blind...........

Edited by Webmaster on 06/03/2009 at 00:47

car details not adding up - TimOrridge
01332 is Derby
01332 is Derby

>
it was 0113 leeds
car details not adding up - doctorchris
I think you should inform trading standards of this guy. It won't help you, except as therapy for a wasted trip to Leeds but might help others in the future.
He would seem to be motor trader who's trying to get away with gross misrepresentation of his goods by selling from a private address.
I'm sure he's breaking a few laws here.
Sorry to be pedantic but Leeds is 0113. ... >>

Thanks. You are correct. My typo. The phone no. is 0113 26-----

Here is a link to the google cache for the Peugeot but showing the Avensis photo:
tinyurl.com/cd9d6d
tinyurl.com/czoxue

The seller also advertises in German and French media.

Edited by jbif on 05/03/2009 at 14:40

i have rang the dealer who has got the car in the pics. he his a proper dealer in pool and he is now getting onto autotrader and trading standards. he was not a happy bunny when i told him about this bloke in leeds using his pic. and the other thing that made me laugh was that he told me that the old keeper had had the car for 6 yrs... BUT when i asked how long he had had the car he said a week !!!!!! then after looking at the v5 it turns out that it had had 3 keepers in 4 months........
i have rang the dealer who has got the car in the pics. ..

Well done. If only more consumers took positive action like you rather than simply having a rant on a forum, I think it would help remove/prevent some future dodgy dealings.

Edited by jbif on 05/03/2009 at 16:02

car details not adding up - Alanovich
I get the message.

:-)
I get the message.
:-)

what ????
car details not adding up - doctorchris
Meltonlad, see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=72...6
Oh and good for you for acting to do something about this fraudulent trader!