Insurance question - second car - Douglas13
I find myself needing to insure a second car for a bit, but I?m not sure how best to go about it. Whether to insure it normally then just cancel the policy, or to go for a short term thing?

I?m moving out of my house in Scotland, so my precious little Micra needs to be put back on the road after being SORNed for 18 months. There is method in this madness, as I want to put it back on the road anyway as a smoker. The other half?s Pug 206 needs to go but she can?t be without a car. So the plan is put the Micra back on the road, flog the Pug, she gets my Punto for a couple of months while I kick about in the Micra, then buy a real car.

That plus the fact that even with 173k on it, the Nissan still well outlast the Pug. I know it?s just a Micra, but I love that wee car, it outlasted my ex-wife and proved much more reliable. It owes me nothing and costs peanuts to run.

Anyway I digress, we need to therefore be running 3 cars for a bit until the Pug is sold, at which point the Nissan will be insured by the girl.

So should I just insure the Nissan normally (with no no-claims bonus this is about £200) then cancel or move the policy, or is there some kind of short term thing I could do?

My other question is, if I insure the Micra in my own name with no no claims bonus, I take it I don?t have to protect it? By that I mean that any claim on the Micra won?t affect my no claims bonus that I have on the Punto?

Sorry if these seem stupid questions, but with an impending move date a few weeks away I?m as busy as a one armed paper hanger. I need to get the car insured, taxed and MOTd in one weekend so I can drive it back.

I the long run, this will bolster my argument of I-don?t-mind-driving-a-crap-car-during-the-week-if-I-can-have-somethin
g-interesting-for-the-weekend
argument

cheers

douglas

Edited by rtj70 on 26/02/2009 at 11:41

Insurance question - second car - rtj70
You mention three cars. So between you and your wife you have two no claims bonuses. This cannot be used on a third car can it? Insurance may offer a discount but it won't be a NCB.

If you take out a policy and cancel it, you will probably find you get very little money back (if any).

Edited by rtj70 on 26/02/2009 at 11:41

Insurance question - second car - jc2
Talk to your insurance company;most are helpful;you may have to ask the kid on the phone to put you thro' to someone senior tho'.
Insurance question - second car - martint123
By that I mean that any claim on the Micra won?t affect my no claims bonus that I have on the Punto?

The questions insurers ask are: (independent of which vehicle/insurer car/bike)

"Have you had a claim in the last xx years"
"Have you had an accident in the last xx years".

Both these will have to be answered honestly and may well affect your premium - but not your NCD.