Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - Caspar
I'm bidding on a car on Ebay about 50 miles away which is currently on SORN. If I win it I will need to tax it to drive home but how?
If I change my insurance to it I won't have a new certificate for a week or two and presumably the current owner has changed his insurance to a new vehicle so won't be able to help?
Is there a way round this?
Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - b308
Book it in for an MOT in your local garage and drive it there?
Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - yorkiebar
Hire a trailer and use that?

Booking in for mot and driving it there is a possibility, but bit naughty especially if it has current and lengthy mot.

Or talk to your insurers and see what they suggest? You are not the first person to be in this position!
Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - rtj70
Nobody said it had no MOT...

To drive it legally you need insurance and tax. To get tax you need insurance and a valid MOT.
Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - yorkiebar
Nobody said it had no MOT...

Agreed, good point
If I change my insurance to it I won't have a new certificate for a week or two

Why a week or two? A couple of days maybe?

The current owner, if insured, may be able to sort it? Has this been asked of the ebay seller?
Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - commerdriver
If you change your insurance to it it will show on MID the following day probably so if it doers have an MOT you can take a chance and drive it home taxed and insured but not displaying a tax disk. Or else wait a couple of days more till the disk arrives.
Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - Mookfish
A couple of days maybe?

Some insurance companies charge extra to have a certificate sent next day delivery, also assuming it has an MOT you could tax it online/over the phone. IIRC the insurance company have a maximum of 7 days to get details on MID, can't imagine they leave it to the last moment.

Of course if it dosn't have a MOT, as said above book one with your local test centre and drive it straight there. Wouldn't try that if it has an MOT though, ANPR may show it has MOT but no tax, you can only drive a car to an MOT with no tax as it's imposible to tax without an MOT, you might not be breaking the law but IMHO you would be exploiting a loophole, the police may not look kindly on that.
Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - martint123
AFAIK you can't tax it online unless it is on the DVLA system under your name and you have a renewal form. Anything else needs a Post office or local DVLA office.
AFAIK you can't tax it online unless it is on the DVLA system under your
name and you have a renewal form. Anything else needs a Post office or local
DVLA office.

Possibly, I wouldn't know as I have always avoided cars with no tax or no mot, seems like too much hassle.
Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - Rattle
When you get insurance you usualy get an email with your policy number instantly so if you get stopped you can get the police to phone the insurance company and confirm you are insured.

I had an idea to get round the tax problem until I sawe a fetal flaw with it, I now think Mookfish as the best idea, its too much hassle unless you can stick it on a trailer but even then dosn't it legaly have to be taxed?
stick it on a trailer but even then dosn't it legaly have to be taxed?

Had this discussion before, aparently while it is on the trailer AND the trailer is hitched to the towing vehicle it dosn't need to be taxed, good idea to cover the numberplates thought, I doubt ANPR can tell the difference between a car being driven and one on a trailer.

Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - Caspar
Thanks for the suggestions.
By the way, it does have an MOT.
I'll contact the seller just in case he can help.
Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - DP
Insure it (you'll need to anyway)

Check MID and tax it online - MID updates in a day or two usually.

Drive it home with the tax in the post. If the car is actually taxed, it won't flag on ANPR, so you'll need to actually get pulled over or the lack of disc physically spotted to have a problem. If you are pulled, the police will be able to confirm that a tax disc has been applied (and paid) for. Get a signed, dated receipt to prove when you picked the car up.

I know non-display is an offence, but given otherwise legitimate circumstances and the fact that the car is actually taxed and insured, I would have thought most police officers would use discretion and overlook it. If not, I believe it's a non-endorsable fixed penalty so you're risking £60.

The other option is to pay a deposit on the car, and ask the seller to hang on to it for 3-4 days until you get the paperwork sorted out, but most sellers won't want to play ball on that.

I'd get everything legal, and take the risk on non-display. The chances of being stopped are minimal, and even then if you're not doing anything stupid, and can show why you're not displaying, you *should* be OK.

Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - jbif
I'd get everything legal, and take the risk on non-display. >>

see thread on "failure to display"
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=71683&...f

extract from note there
VED - Failure to display - Dwight Van Driver Sun 1 Feb 09 08:05 :
Sect 147 Finance Act 2008
"A person is not guilty of an offence by using or keeping a vehicle on a public road during any of the 5 working days following the time when
a licence or nil licence for the vehicle, or
a relevant declaration applying to the vehicle, ceases to be in force,
if an application for a licence or nil licence for or in respect of the vehicle to run from that time has been received before that time. "

Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - bathtub tom
Is it worth doing a an HPI check on it?

The last time I paid for one it included an insurance element that allowed me to drive it.
He's not asking about insurance. He's asking about road tax. It is currently on SORN.
Buying a car on SORN, how to tax it to drive home? - Chris M
Assuming you can insure it and get the cover note in time, pick it up during PO opening hours and get the tax over the counter.