02 1.9tdci - never again - sick parrot
I got a Laguna 1.9dci just 9 months ago. Lovely car drove well and was loveley to drive in the area i live which is mainly country roads. It pulled my caravan without a moan from it. BUT in November the drivers window started to open and shut on its own. then sometimes when i tried to close the window it went down insted of up. took it to garage and £200 later it was working, for one month only. the next thing was the rear axel bushes went that was £150. then to top it all on the 30th of Jan was taking my son to nursery when a noise started from the front. on my way back home the noise got really bad and the car went into full revs. YES THE TURBO HAD BLOWN. I quickly stalled the car and called out the breackdown. to cut the rest short, the cost of repairs is in excess of £2000. new Turbo, intercooler, and the garage expects that the eng has also sufferd damage. as its a 52 2002 its not worth the cost. Trade in value is only £2100, so I sold it to the garage for £300. Now gone back to the trusted Mondeo...will never have a renault again ever.... I surgest people dont touch them, unless you have a never ending pit of money

Edited by Pugugly on 03/02/2009 at 21:36

never a laguna again - BobbyG
Sick parrot, bad luck there.

There are a lot of claimed issues with these cars, especially this engine and it is widely regarded as being problematic and from 2004 onwards it was improved.

If you have a lot of time on your hands if you do some forum searches here you will see what I am talking about!!

This site has a very good car-by-car breakdown which I would recommend you refer to before you purchase your next car (or refer others to it as I often do)
never a laguna again - DP
Turbo failure and runaway of revs is a very well documented problem with the early Renault dCi engines (up to around 2003/4), and is mentioned in almost all buyers guides for Renaults of this era. Later versions of this engine are modified and don't suffer from it, and there are things you can do with the earlier ones to help such as more frequent oil changes, fully synthetic oil, and cleaning of the EGR valve at every service.

Renault were also paying 100% of the repair cost for 5 yrs / 100,000 miles as long as the car had a full service history, and fitting the modded parts as part of the repair. I have never heard of a recurrence of the problem with these parts fitted.

The Laguna of this era wasn't one of Renault's better efforts, and isn't a patch on a Mondeo for reliability, but that doesn't make all Renaults rubbish. The 2004-on stuff, and the smaller/simpler models like the Clio are perfectly decent cars.

Sorry you've had such a bad experience.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 03/02/2009 at 21:43

never a laguna again - sick parrot
Thanx for the reply....My Laguna was serviced every 10,000 mile not the 19,000 that renault suggest. the last time it was serviced was 8000 mile ago and the turbo and all respective parts were checked. I understood from the service manual and corresponding paperwork (bills invoices) that the mods had been undertaken by the last owners. I was awair of the problems this model had when I got the car thats why I had it fully checked.

the only good thing to come out of this is that the dealer who sold me the car is a very good and fair man (hard to find) on hearing about the car he phoned me and even though the warrenty was up, offerd me a car to use while mine was being looked at. then when i told him that i was not going ahead with the repairs he offerd me a Mondeo he had which is a Grphite 1.8 with 40k 2002 at cost £2000. which I feel was very good of him.

I know not all renaults are bad, things happen to any car but I wont touch one again sorry.
never a laguna again - pd
Renaults (all of them) using the F9Q 1.9dci engine up to June 2003 all, sooner or later, blow the turbo/intercooler and usually the engine as well. They should be avoided.

Post June 2003 F9Q engines seem very reliable and able to cover large mileages (or at least as reliable as any modern common rail diesel).

2004 model year Lagunas are far more reliable and the 05 facelift examples on are almost a decent car. I've seen them with 120k+ still feeling & driving quite new.

The 2005 on 130bhp (with particle filter) 1.9dci engine has 12k service intervals which helps.

Edited by pd on 03/02/2009 at 22:55

never a laguna again - TheOilBurner
I'd agree from my work's experience of running a large fleet of 2004 54 Lagunas and Meganes that they did get better.

However, they were far from perfect. Some of the cars were OK, some were a nightmare and regularly causing problems with electrics, gearboxes and oil leaks. Not to mention more trivial stuff like interior trim falling off if you so much as breathe at it.

My 2005 Megane was complete trash though, so I wouldn't blindly accept that Renault suddenly managed to build decent cars out of nowhere.

Fingers crossed the new generation have finally nailed all these silly problems.