Wow - Congrats Renault - stunorthants26
Ive seen the advert, now looked at the pictures online and I have to say, what a stunning looking car.
When I watched the advert for the first time on TV, I said to the misses thats a lovely looking car, not knowing it was a Megane. I think they have certainly cracked the style bit, all important with coupes.
I think the 1.6 petrol is going to be a bit of a bargin once discounts start up.
Wow - Congrats Renault - davros
I noticed two last weekend in Beaune - one in a dark gunmetal, one in metalic blue. You're right - exceptionally good-looking and attracting plenty of admiring Gallic glances.

Whether it will make up for the "ordinary" new Megane (which is very underwhelming in the flesh) is another matter. Or the Clio estate, which is hideous, IMHO.

Wow - Congrats Renault - Lygonos
Reliability > looks ;-)
Wow - Congrats Renault - krs one
I don't think the Megane saloon is too bad, looks better in the metal than in pics.
Wow - Congrats Renault - Rattle
And why won't it be reliable?

I think its time to ive Renault a second chance like people have done with FIAT. FIAT have proven they can built long lasting reliable cars, lets see if Renault can now go back to this after a bad spell.
Wow - Congrats Renault - stunorthants26
Well since Fiat have proven it, what proof are you offering for Renault? Hope?

I hope it is reliable, but ill wait a few years then read the cbc!

Fiat have offered 5 year warranties - that shows confidence. Renault offers 3 years - if its equal to the Fiat on reliability, no reason it shouldnt have 5 years. A warranty only costs them money if they expect something to fail resulting in a claim.

Doesnt take away from the sheer style of the thing though.
Wow - Congrats Renault - L'escargot
Fiat have offered 5 year warranties - that shows confidence.

Not necessarily. It could just mean that they've factored the cost of predicted warranty claims into the initial price. In fact that's probably what all manufacturers do.
Wow - Congrats Renault - Lygonos
Hang on - before we get carried away:

It's a moose from the front, and ok from the rear/ rear 3 quarters.

tinyurl.com/bdj9gx

tinyurl.com/c7z7ae

Marks: 7/10 - Hyundai Coupe less ugly IMO.

Edited by Lygonos on 28/01/2009 at 13:58

Wow - Congrats Renault - Lud
Quite a pretty jalopy. But for sheer Gallic style and original verve the old shape shaka-that-nyash Megane had it beat.

Renaults are fine and I wouldn't hesitate to have one if I wanted it. People used to go on about Citroens being weird, difficult to work on and unreliable. All tosh. No car is perfect and they all need sympathy, although I agree some stand up to the stupid and ham-fisted better than others. It is also true of course that (on average) French mechanics will be better with Renaults and Italian ones with Fiats than honest British grease-monkeys who will be carp-hot with Marinas and Rover SD1s...

What does proven and documented Renault-fancier AE have to say?
Wow - Congrats Renault - Altea Ego
and here he is.

Firstly G'day Lud welcome back you old drongo,

Secondly

The outgoing megane, was in my mind a real looker and a breath of fresh air. The toosh may not have pleased everyone but i thought it was a good un, and they hunkered down nicely when boy racered up as a sports model..

The new one is - well bland. The coupe however has terrific profile and ass, but those front lights need to be changed, you dont jelly mould lights over naturall crease lines - it looks plain awkward.

Wow - Congrats Renault - The Melting Snowman
It looks good but it will struggle against the Scirocco.

The hatchback is a dull car. Rather a lukewarm assessment in Autocar, it came 4th out of five. Focus top dog, Golf 2nd, Hyundai i30 third, Megane 4th, Pug 308 5th.

A Hyundai beating a Renault should make uneasy reading at Renault HQ. Critisised for dull looks, lifeless steering, dull handling and restless ride.

"...simply being an inoffensive, moderately able but entirely undistinguished class player is nowhere near good enough"

Let's hope the chassis engineers can tweak it better for the Coupe.

Edited by The Melting Snowman on 28/01/2009 at 21:12

Wow - Congrats Renault - DP
I really liked the last Megane. Thought it was a striking looking car in a sea of bland clones. Looked rock hard in RenaultSport trim as well!

Wow - Congrats Renault - The Melting Snowman
I agree. We had a diesel version. It was a thoroughly likeable car and one could forgive its faults. The new model is just dull. Worthy, but dull.
Wow - Congrats Renault - boxsterboy
Haven't seen a Megane Coupe yet, but have seen a Laguna coupe. Very nice. The new Scirocco (seen a few now) by comparison has a bit of the squashed toad about it.

Edited by boxsterboy on 28/01/2009 at 21:49