Is Legacy Estate 2.0 (135 bhp) powerful enough? - Adam Tavroskos
Hello everyone, I've just registered to the Back Room and am very impressed with the amount of expert advice that comes from this community! I thought I could then get my first ever question answered by those in the know, so here we go.

I'm interested in buying an early 2004-on Subaru Legacy estate 2.0 petrol and was very close to actually committing to one, but have read somewhere else that this engine is not powerful enough for the car, and so much it struggles apparently that is "dangerously slow" in 4th and 5th gear on motorways. I need a 4-wheel drive car that would be relatively economical (the 2.0's claimed MPG is around 35 and CO2 emissions are 183 g/km, which is not bad for any 2.0-litre petrol estate car) and therefore bigger or turbo-charged engine versions are out of question. I don't drive fast, but don't want to buy an underpowered car either, so would appreciate any real-life feedback from owners.

Many thanks in advance,
Adam

Edited by Pugugly on 23/01/2009 at 23:31

Is Legacy 2.0 (135 bhp) Estate powerful enough? - MVP
Welcome Adam

We have a 2003 Forester 2.0x - I think it puts out 125bhp, but could be less.

Anyway, it's not a ball of fire, but it is plenty fast enough and certainly not dangerously slow in 4th or 5th, and the handling makes it fun to drive.

We average 30-35 mpg

MVP
Is Legacy 2.0 (135 bhp) Estate powerful enough? - Lygonos
Dangerously slow? Utter nonsense.

It has similar performance to any other 2.0 petrol car. If you want a torquier variant then the 2.5 4 cylinder returns very similar economy with around 165bhp.

Neither is a rocketship (the 3.0 litre variants are...) but you won't find them that underpowered.

The newer 2.0 cars have Subaru's version of VTEC, giving 165bhp, but with no great improvement in low down torque.

I've driven several Subarus, including a 2.0 Forester (old model with 130ish bhp), and never had any problems keeping up with traffic.

Rule number one is take it for a good test drive on the type of roads you will frequent. If the seller won't allow this, find another seller ;-)
Is Legacy 2.0 (135 bhp) Estate powerful enough? - Happy Blue!
We had the Mk1 Forester auto with this engine. It was absolutely fine on the motorway, and actually appeared to have a deal of torque at motoway speeds such that you could find yourself going faster than you thought or wanted.

The Legacy is not hugely bigger or heavier, so the manual version should also be fine.
Is Legacy 2.0 (135 bhp) Estate powerful enough? - ukjazz
Adam , You should check the CO2 as most petrol Subaru's are over 200+ and hence in Tax Band F. Good choice we owned several in days gone by very reliable but parts were £''ss when required. If you have a dealer thats an enthusiast or local Independent great.
Good Luck with the purchase
Is Legacy 2.0 (135 bhp) Estate powerful enough? - Lygonos
Tax band F = nice and cheap because having to pay an extra 50-100 quid a year road tax equates to 2-3 grand off purchase price (with the average life expectancy of a car being 10-12 years, go figure).

I decided to gamble on band G for a Turbo Forester because the extra 200quid a year would take 40yrs to pay back the 8 grand saving on list price!

As has been said repeatedly on this forum, there are a lot of people willing to pay a lot of money for the perception of saving money!
Is Legacy 2.0 (135 bhp) Estate powerful enough? - Wilco {P}
Hoe much will you carry a full load plus passengers? I tried both back in 05 and bought the 2.5 for the extra torque. 2.0 is perfectly adequate just lacks a bit of go for B road overtaking, when fully loaded, and the like. You''ll do well to get 35mpg. high 20's or low 30's realistic.
Is Legacy 2.0 (135 bhp) Estate powerful enough? - gsd39
I have an 05 2.0 Legacy estate with auto box, sometimes in top gear it can feel as if nothing is happening until it kicks down a gear, but when it does it is pulls well.
I get about 32 mpg average. 183g/km equals 170 pounds for road tax.
With AWD the handling is great on twisty roads, best car I've owned.
Is Legacy 2.0 (135 bhp) Estate powerful enough? - Adam Tavroskos
Many thanks for all your input and advice fellow backroomers!
Looks like I'm gonna buy that Legacy then! Never had a high-tech like that before so can't wait!
Is Legacy 2.0 (135 bhp) Estate powerful enough? - Nsar
I doubt you'll be disappointed by the Legacy, but if it's an auto, pay attention to the ratios on the test drive. This is the one thing that continues to bug me about mine (2.5). In flowing town traffic or on country lanes, the car never seems to know what it wants to do and there are many times I wish I had the manual.
Is Legacy Estate 2.0 (135 bhp) powerful enough? - ceep
Hi Adam,

I just registered too, simply to respond to you!

Really just backing up what others have said. My dad has an 04 plate estate 2.0, and the engine is more than up to the job. I've driven it a few times, and it's surprising how quickly it can get up to speed even fully loaded. Motorway work is a doddle for it, and it's such a relaxed cruiser, but with plenty of feedback for the twisty bits.

He averages 36mpg (calculated from fuel in and miles done rather than the on-board mpg-ometer). It'll do a bit more on a long motorway run.

I'm longing for the day he replaces it... then I can buy it :)