08 2.4 electric power steering-loss of assistance - ex-Triumph man
I wondered has anyone come across this before and are my thoughts correct?
My wife has bought a new Volvo C30 with the D5 engine. I have noticed a groaning fromn the power steering, esp when nearing full lock. Last night, the steering went dead, with total loss of assistance when parking. Restarting the car brought the assistance back. I can now reproduce this loss of assistance on demand.
The main dealer is having the car in for a couple of days next week.
There was also a warning came up saying "power steering service reqd"
I am wondering is this a safety device that prevents the pump overloading on full lock?
Incidentally the car is barely 2 months old with 1000 miles on the clock.

Edited by Pugugly on 16/01/2009 at 21:05

08 2.4 electric power steering-loss of assistance - Martin Wall
Seems to be a known problem with a recall underway in the US:

www.lemonauto.com/complaints/volvo/c30.htm

(I just googled for 'Volvo C30 loss of power steering' and that was one of the results)

In fact I just went to VOSA and it's part of a recall here as well:

www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand....k
Thanks for that Martin. The car is going in to the Volvo dealer on Tuesday for attention.
Interestingly, I think the problem may be a different issue, as you can regain assistance by switching the engine off and back on again, which makes me think it may be electrical as opposed to a hydraulic one.
Your reply is appreciated. Thanks.
Car now back from main Volvo dealer. Intermittant loss of PAS traced to pump electronic modulator. Matter referred to Volvo technical support.
Seems car has an electronic pas pump as opposed to a belt driven one. Great progress electronics!
Dealer also replaced the pump itself due to noise.
08 2.4 electric power steering-loss of assistance - DP
Great progress electronics!

Another big step backward in the name of emissions.
08 2.4 electric power steering-loss of assistance - Martin Wall
Glad your problem has been resolved. Maybe you could post an owner review in the discussion forum as I still only see C30s very rarely. Just wondering what it's like to live with on a day-to-day basis....