97 1.7td no charge - dwarfie3
I have 1.7td astra van1997 and have just bought new alternater and new battery and have still no charge giong to my battery it just drains as soon as anything is turned on .Have meter on and was told ok,but still no charge,also have notced no ignition light on dashboard anyone any ideas thanks.
Dale

Edited by Pugugly on 04/01/2009 at 10:57

97 1.7td no charge - Ford Dagenham
Hello

I suggest you check the fuse box and see if any have blown.

How long has it been in this state has any water got into the electrics.

It looks like a bad earth possible from the engine to the body and also fusebox and other earths on the car.

A relay may have failed.

Hope my ideas have helped.

Martin
97 1.7td no charge - topbloke
try looking in the drivers side kick panel should either be a yellow or purple relay (its the charge relay) i normally change these when i change alternators on this model/engine, assuming that its a isuzu engine, not the vauxhall engine, if its vaux engine then the usuall culprit is the andjuster bolt/bracket and the earth strap that is bolted to it let me know which engine and i will advise

Edited by topbloke on 04/01/2009 at 14:20

97 1.7td no charge - Peter.N.
The 'no ignition light' could be a clue as its the current flowing through this energises the alternator rotor to start the charge process. Could be that the bub has gone.
97 1.7td no charge - dwarfie3
Thanks to your help mates problem sorted had a fault with the alternater and is now fixt thanks
Dale