Looking for advice on a MPV purchase? - mduckod
Hi, I am looking at getting an MPV in 2009 on the motability scheme. My wife is a wheelchair user but prefers to transfer into a passanger front seat, this is mainly due to our rural location and the fact we have a Citroen Dispatch WAV which is basically a commercail vehicle with a lowered floor conversion, extremely uncomfortable. The problems arise due to the fact that we are expecting our 4th child in July (leaving us with the need for room for a folded wheelchair and a pram as we'll have two kids under 2 yrs old) we will be using 6 seats on a regular basis when all children are in the car and need a large boot for wheelchair and pram, not to mention the room needed for luggage,shopping etc. I'm going to look at the Galaxy 1st and work things from there, haven experienced a zafira and a megane grand scenic before the lack of boot space was terrible. Advice anybody???? Cheers
Looking for advice on a MPV purchase? - oldtoffee
>>we will be using 6 seats on a regular basis when all children are in the car and need a large boot for wheelchair and pram, not to mention the room needed for luggage,shopping etc.

That effectively rules out anything smaller than a Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra - you might consider also Citroen C8, Peugeot 806, Chrysler Grand Voyager. I'd probably, no certainly avoid the Espace having read the horror stories of owners here and elsewhere. Anything Zafira, Verso, Grand Scenic, SMax size isn't going to give you anywhere near the space you need.

A diesel Galaxy would be be my vote having owned an Alhambra ages ago and borrowed a five year old Galaxy 115bhp TDi this year off a friend for our holiday to the south of France. IMO quick enough, drives and handles better than it looks it might, very comfy, cruises effortlessly, 40+ mpg and lots of what you need, space. Plenty of them about (check out car giant,) cheap to service at independents and if looked after, the VW diesels have a good reputation for lasting.
Looking for advice on a MPV purchase? - Manatee
Motability implies new? The Galaxy is no longer the same car as the Sharan/Alhambra. I see the CBC says the current Galaxy has 30% more luggage space which suggests it will better than the one you borrowed, or the VAG version, in that respect.
Looking for advice on a MPV purchase? - mark999
A T4 or T5 Caravelle is a good option if you dont mind the size. Jubilee do a nice conversion
of the new Fiat Scudo.
Take a look at www.justmobility.co.uk they have some private and trade sales and links to converters.
ps don't even consider any of the Mercedes conversions.
Looking for advice on a MPV purchase? - gordonbennet
One of the biggest, but RWD, so you still have a turning circle (try turning some of the others, your dispatch is an exception for FWD, being based on the van it was designed for driveability too) is the Hyundai i800.
Could look at Kia Sorento too if the dealer is more convenient.

these maybe have a nicer feel to them as they arn't just aftermarket converted vans, whilst still huge.

an outside choice could be the new mercedes vito (London) taxicab, already wheelchair accessible, luggage space may not be good though, but the 4 wheel steer system would have great benefits with such big vehicles (i deliver taxicabs, and the dealers assure me the rear steer is simple and very quickly repairable).
Looking for advice on a MPV purchase? - ifithelps
>>but the 4 wheel steer system >>

"Do you know what I've got at the back of the cab?

"Two wheels that steer - cor blimey, guv, would you Adam and Eve it?" :)
Looking for advice on a MPV purchase? - tawse
Converted Mazda Bongo? Just a suggestion.
Looking for advice on a MPV purchase? - The Melting Snowman
Grandis. Massive and Japanese.
A T4 or T5 Caravelle is a good option if you dont mind the size.
Jubilee do a nice conversion
of the new Fiat Scudo

the Dispatch we have is a 2008 (july) Low floor conversion and the Mrs said she'd rather be transfered from her wheelchair into a passanger seat than ever have to suffer travelling in a converted vehicle on our miles of B class Northern Ireland roads. Understandable, when I've looked in the rear view mirror doing 40 mph or so shes been shook to pieces. but thanks for the tip!
Going to test a Ford Galaxy next week, the dealer tried to push a S-Max on me but I told him its about as useful as an underwater hairdryer in my case, having had a grand scenic previously (great car) but absolutely no space and no legroom for the 6th passanger in the boot. Thanks for the advice
Looking for advice on a MPV purchase? - the_bandit
I have a MK3 Galaxy and shift around 3 young kids and a dog in the back. I have a crate in the boot too which takes up one half of the boot. This doesn't leave much room for the pram let alone shopping , luggage etc..

Once you are fully loaded, ie. 4 kids plus wheelchair and pram, you will not have room for anything else. In fact, for me I wouldn't be comfortable putting my child in the 3 row of seats with all that heavy gear right next to them. Just not safe.

Sounds to me like you need a VW Transporter / Merc Vito etc....

As regards the sixth seat passanger and the transportation of chair and pram, this we've had a look into a couple of after market partitioning systems some of which have to be custom made, still no luck as to an affordable one they're about £200 or so.