96 1.8 diesel - starter motor failure - tamcox
Hello,

Just wonderd what is life one should expect from a reconditioned starter motor,

The reason I ask is because I fitted one about 14 months ago on the missus mondeo and now it toast is this the norm or should I expect it to last longer,Personally I would have thought a lot longer as they are not cheap and if I have to keep replacing its gonna work out very expensive,

Thanks

Tam

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/12/2008 at 19:33

96 1800 starter motor - mfarrow
Take it back and see if they'll do anything to the cost of a new one - 14 months is a short life and the unit may have a 12 month warranty with it.
96 1800 starter motor - andyp
The starter motor was a known weak spot on MK1 Mondeos (petrol engine models anyway) , it was barely up to the job and IIRC (it was about 14 years ago now !!!) it was very close to the exhaust which didn't do it a lot of good. I had a new 1.6 in 1994 & mine failed when the car was 18 months old, when the AA guy came out he said it was becoming quite a common problem.
96 1800 starter motor - tamcox
This is a Diesel,Which if you look at the size of the starter motor it doesn't look man enough IMO,

But it should last longer then the few months that i have had out of it,I could understand from a scrappie,But not a reconditioned one!!!
96 1800 starter motor - mfarrow
There is a heat shield at the back of the motor which covers the rear bearing (dome shape, held to a bracket by one screw). Is this still present?
96 1.8 diesel - starter motor failure - tamcox
Got in touch with the shop who I bought it from and they said that they would have a look at it,Hopefully with a view of replacing it,(fingers crossed)