1997 1.7 Fully synth pointless on beemer ? - telecaster
Is it pointless using fully synt engine oil on a high mileage bmw 318 diesel?

The car has 100k plus and runs well.....I changed it when I bought it with some duckhams semi(Just to be safe)......and car seems ok.

Would castrol magnatec be ok?

The bmw site is confusing giving all this long life palaver.

Any advice appreciated.

Edited by Pugugly on 13/12/2008 at 20:24

1997 1.7 Fully synth pointless on beemer. - Woodspeed
Depends on how long you want to keep the car. Started using Mobil SHC (previous to Mobil 1) in the 70s, and on tearing engines down at 100k (such as for head gaskets etc) it was remarkable how clean everything was, piston rings clean and tight, could even see the honing marks in the bores. I was convinced then and have run the family fleet on fully synth from whenever the cars got the first service. Extend the miles between oil services too. Currently 3 vehicles with over 800k miles between and never had an engine fault as such. It is costly, but you can obtain 5/40 fully synth or 5/30 at most factors for about £70 for 20 litres (4 x 5 litres). Before this in the 70s always used to change at 5k miles. Fully synth always changed between 10-12k. No hydraulic tappet problems, no cam wear problems, no big ends rumbling. Believe it works because it stays in grade, and also a fully synth has a thinner bottom end when cold 0 or 5 so it flows faster on a cold morning.